Microsoft Surface isnt it just a laptop?

2»

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The names for each type of device don't really matter much, especially as they're becoming increasingly blurred. However, there is a need to make sure that you know what you're buying. For example, whether a cover and a real keyboard are included in the price or not, and what type of programs the device can run.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about this definition:

A tablet has the motherboard behind the screen. A laptop has the motherboard under the keyboard.

Are there any exceptions?
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about this definition:

A tablet has the motherboard behind the screen. A laptop has the motherboard under the keyboard.

Are there any exceptions?

HP Touchsmarts have the electronics behind the screen :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tasker wrote: »
    HP Touchsmarts have the electronics behind the screen :D

That is a desktop, not a laptop.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I think we are seeing a merging of technology with fuzzy edges. How big does a phone have to be before it becomes a tablet? Many are already a lot larger than my first PalmPilot.

Does a laptop with removable keyboard and a touch screen count as a tablet? I'm expecting many laptops to have touchscreens after Windows 8 is released, so then the question is "Are all laptops with removable keyboards tablets?"

Microsoft are planning to roll out Windows 8 across a very wide variety of devices, I'm sure we will have a flood of new names for devices to add to ultrabooks and netbooks that were recently added to try and describe the ever expanding range of laptop types (maybe a touchbook?).

So, to answer the original question, is the surface just a laptop? Yes, except I wouldn't use the word "just".

A tablet is defined in the dictionary as follows;
    tab·let   [tab-lit] Show IPA
    noun
    1. a number of sheets of writing paper, business forms, etc., fastened together at the edge; pad.
    2. a flat slab or surface, especially one bearing or intended to bear an inscription, carving, or the like.
    3. a thin, flat leaf or sheet of slate, wax-coated wood, or other rigid material, used for writing or marking on, especially one of a pair or set hinged or otherwise fastened together.
    4.tablets, the set as a whole.
    5. a small, flat, or flattish cake or piece of some solid or solidified substance, as a drug, chemical, or soap.

Which indicates to me that the essential difference is that a laptop has a permanent keyboard and or must be used with a keyboard.

The surface does not have to be used with a keyboard and does not require a keyboard to be connected in order to use it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "especially one of a pair or set hinged or otherwise fastened together."

That dictionary quote doesn't do much to support your conclusion!
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most fascinating thing about these Microsoft tablets is that that are cross licensed tit for tat with Apple.

A harmonious duopoly when there is no major 3rd player in that equation.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The most fascinating thing about these Microsoft tablets is that that are cross licensed tit for tat with Apple.

A harmonious duopoly when there is no major 3rd player in that equation.

Apple and Microsoft have actually been cross-licensing for years. Heck, they've even pooled their funds and jointly bought patents. They're far friendlier than most people realise.

The last time (I believe) Microsoft and Apple ever went at each other in court, Microsoft ended up getting 200 Apple patents invalidated (over claims that Windows 3 copied Apple's patented "look and feel," of MacOS). Then Apple danced with bankruptcy for a decade and they've played nice ever since.

I think they actually both like the Windows vs. Mac rivalry that's built up over the years. Its free advertising and they both end up with rabid fans, which means they always get guaranteed repeat sales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Apple and Microsoft have actually been cross-licensing for years. Heck, they've even pooled their funds and jointly bought patents. They're far friendlier than most people realise.

The last time (I believe) Microsoft and Apple ever went at each other in court, Microsoft ended up getting 200 Apple patents invalidated (over claims that Windows 3 copied Apple's patented "look and feel," of MacOS). Then Apple danced with bankruptcy for a decade and they've played nice ever since.

I think they actually both like the Windows vs. Mac rivalry that's built up over the years. Its free advertising and they both end up with rabid fans, which means they always get guaranteed repeat sales.

I wonder if the current Apple V Sansung court case will end up the same way. Again it is over "look and feel", but they probably have home advantage as they are a US company in a US court. They seemed to have some early wins that were then reversed in EU and Australia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A rather crazy rumour just turned up on Engadget, claiming that the Surface RT will retail for $199. It's from an anonymous source, apparently, so I'd take it with all the salt in the ocean!

If it actually happened, I'd buy one without thinking. Whilst it is technically feasible for Microsoft to sell it at a loss and attempt to make up the costs in app sales (they essentially did that to gain market share with the Xbox), it would be the ultimate kick in the teeth to their OEM partners. There would be no way anyone else could compete with that price, so it wouldn't even be worth trying. As Microsoft only just published an article on their "Building Windows 8," blog specifically about their OEM partners building Windows RT devices, I'd say this is highly, highly unlikely to be anything close to true.

Still, it would be nice if it did happen!
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    A rather crazy rumour just turned up on Engadget, claiming that the Surface RT will retail for $199. It's from an anonymous source, apparently, so I'd take it with all the salt in the ocean!

If it actually happened, I'd buy one without thinking. Whilst it is technically feasible for Microsoft to sell it at a loss and attempt to make up the costs in app sales (they essentially did that to gain market share with the Xbox), it would be the ultimate kick in the teeth to their OEM partners. There would be no way anyone else could compete with that price, so it wouldn't even be worth trying. As Microsoft only just published an article on their "Building Windows 8," blog specifically about their OEM partners building Windows RT devices, I'd say this is highly, highly unlikely to be anything close to true.

Still, it would be nice if it did happen!

I was thinking £399 - what with the Kindle and Nexus 7 however $199 (which somehow becomes £199 when in the UK :mad:) is looking like the entry price point for tablets now. If this is the price you will not see me for the dust - only think I don't like is the lack of a stylus and having to install apps via the store - I will want to write my own and not have to do this (especially as some will be private applications - as in will not have wide appeal - things like a Electronic Patient Records type app)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There would be no way anyone else could compete with that price, so it wouldn't even be worth trying.
    I am wondering if it could be a limited-time offer, for say 3 months from launch, and then the price goes up to $300 or so. Or some other catch.

It makes sense to have an offer, because they are trying to establish a new platform and ecosystem virtually from scratch, and with a lot of negative comment on the UI. They don't have the range of apps that Android has, it doesn't run legacy Windows software, and it's not an iPad, so why would anyone buy it? If the platform is to succeed in the long term, someone has to take a hit in the short term. The OEMs ought to be content to let Microsoft lose money on it for a few months. After that, the price can go up and it can succeed on merit (or not), because enough people will have them to know whether they are any good, and hopefully developers will have seen there's a market and will get on with producing apps.

The Intel versions are another matter. These are a less risky proposition for OEMs because they do run legacy Windows applications, and they can justify a much higher price. Some OEMs have said they are released an Intel tablet and not an ARM one. Meanwhile Microsoft are holding their own Intel tablet back for 3 months, which leaves the field clear for everyone else.

Personally I think the rumour is plausible. The tablet market is crucial to Microsoft in the long term. They have more or less sacrificed Windows 8 on the desktop to make it work well on tablets. They have loads of cash, so they can well afford to subsidise it. They did something similar with the XBox.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With no Intel cost these things cost a darn sight less than a netbook to make.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been a few potential ideas I've read that could make the $199 price plausible.

1. Microsoft currently sell a $99 Xbox package, but only from Microsoft retail stores and only if you sign up to a two-year Xbox Live Gold account. A similar deal might work with Surface, with Xbox Live, Zune music pass and/or skydrive storage as a subscription.

2. There's been a suggestion the MS plans to share their cut of store purchases with OEMs. eg. if purchases are made off a Samsung tablet, then Samsung will get a percentage of that 30% cut MS get. That could allow OEMs to also sell their hardware at a reduced price.

Of course these are just the random musings of internet people like us. There's no authority behind them. Apparently Microsoft's official response is that have no comment on rumours. Personally, I think they're happy to keep people talking about Surface. If they make a statement one way or the other, the rumour stop and the numerous blog posts about it dry up.

My opinion? Whilst I would happily pay for some subscription services to get a Surface RT at $199 (circa £130, I think), I somehow doubt its going to happen. I reckon £300 at the minimum and more likely £350 for the base model. Heck, we still don't even know if they will be available outside of the US!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's true if will guarantee the success of Windows 8 (RT at least). Many people would buy without hesitation at that price.