Options

Over the Top Ten's

musicangelmusicangel Posts: 7,164
Forum Member
Evening All,

First time since start I was out when SCD was on, just watched it, I seriously can not believe how many ten's were dished out for dances, that weren't close to ten's :(had mistakes in them, an still got the perfect score, is a ten for not being perfect now?

In my opinion the judges are just dishing them out to their favories

Bruno esp - Natalie and Artem

Darcey - Patrick and Anya

The list could go on.....

Some dances deserved 10's and got 9's, are they mad to think the GBP dont notice this?

Ive seen various threads and agree with majority, Sophie and Brendan deserves some ten's but they found a not even a minor fault, and marked her down with others they still give tens!

Not fair judges treat everyone same, a mistake is a mistake!

Comments

• Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Sophie & Brendan deserved any 10s. Their dance was a joy to watch but I want to see exquisite toplines and Sophie's didn't look like it was quite there yet. Almost but not quite.

However, I also want them to point out to Abbey that she was unsteady in parts, that her upper body looked floppy in places, that bits of her dance were messy.

Similarly, I want them to tell Artem off for doing his own thing and not including enough in hold. But I also want them to tell Aljaz off for doing a disco number instead of a proper Salsa.

So it's the inconsistency that irks me. The judges are pickier with some contestants than others. And it's natural to start asking why and wondering if they have agendas.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not forgetting it is better not to get the top score before the final. ;)
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Sophie gets to the final she'll get 10s hosed over her like she's in a wet t-shirt contest, don't worry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I do hope Sophie and Brendan get to the final but it seems the judges are favouring the celebrities girls who are going on tour,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The thing is, showing that Abbey did a disco salsa, mark did one and got slated, yet abby 10's??

Sophies top lin was fine, it was tiny element to her neck, and going off previous tens have included mistakes, gapping, poor footwork, too much out of hold..

They do have an agenda!and not fair on sophie
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I don't know enough about VW to critique it but I thought it was lovely, quite took my breath away. The more expert ballroom forumites seem to think the marks were fair so who am I to argue.

The only dance I do feel qualified to critique was that travesty of a salsa. The disco salsa fusion does not work for me. The bits of salsery stuff it contained seemed to have been shoe horned in to look like they were salsa but were executed without any salsa technique and the effect was lost. As for that crotch gazing lift - hideous and definitely NOT salsa.

It was an enjoyable enough dance and the pseudo salsa elements were done OKish - not great and certainly not perfectly but OK.

So Sophie vis a vis Abbey was undermarked or if you prefer Abbey was overmarked.

The marking doesn't bother me but the idea that up and down the country people think this is what salsa looks like makes me want to :cry::cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I don't think Sophie & Brendan deserved any 10s. Their dance was a joy to watch but I want to see exquisite toplines and Sophie's didn't look like it was quite there yet. Almost but not quite.

However, I also want them to point out to Abbey that she was unsteady in parts, that her upper body looked floppy in places, that bits of her dance were messy.

Similarly, I want them to tell Artem off for doing his own thing and not including enough in hold. But I also want them to tell Aljaz off for doing a disco number instead of a proper Salsa.

So it's the inconsistency that irks me. The judges are pickier with some contestants than others. And it's natural to start asking why and wondering if they have agendas.

The judges do have agendas. What other reason could there be for the inconsistencies?
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't think Sophie's dance deserved 10's. Again it was nice and pretty but she is so aloof and doesn't exude any warmth. I find all that kowtowing (sp) to her husband irritating as well.
  • Options
    brendans babebrendans babe Posts: 34,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think Sophie deserved a 10 - i was very happy with her scores. However my problem is other peoples scores! I'm going to put it out there and i will probably be shot but i think Abby's dance is bordering on the most over scored dance ever in Strictly. For me it looked more like a Hustle and she was unsteady during it. As Abby is one of my top 3/4 i hope what the judges are doing does not rebound on her. Patrick's Charleston did not deserve 3 x 10's either. And Len lost the plot with Susannah. I watched the dances back today and theres was really shaky - if you just watch Kevin in it he is like dancing like a maniac! I thought he gave Susannah way too much to do.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Monkseal wrote: »
    When Sophie gets to the final she'll get 10s hosed over her like she's in a wet t-shirt contest, don't worry.

If ;)

Mind you, she does have two storylines going (topline and 10).

I wonder if all the drama of the last two weeks has had an impact on Susanna's public vote (last week rumbagate and now all three of the other girls are mixed up in a debate about undermarking/overmarking). Perhaps she will get a mention thrown in about next week's dance at the results show again :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think after Darcy saying there was a mistake in someones before they deserved one
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member

The marking doesn't bother me but the idea that up and down the country people think this is what salsa looks like makes me want to :cry::cry:

We frankly don't care what your salsa looks like, and have zero interest in finding out. We liked this dance.
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We frankly don't care what your salsa looks like, and have zero interest in finding out. We liked this dance.

"We" would have preferred a proper salsa, not a hustle
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mimi dlc wrote: »

Yep too true
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's fine, but the rest of us want to petition strictly to call it something different, for the sake of salsa dances everywhere.

For the record, Mark did not do a disco salsa, he did a disco paso. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mimi dlc wrote: »

'YOU' clearly aren't one of the people that An Throplogist was referring to. She was talking about people like me, who don't know a salsa from a samba, and I'm here to tell her that I couldn't care less. I have as much interest in watching random members of the public making a show of themselves with what they term dancing, as I have in nuclear physics. So An Thropologist can rest easy - I would never mistake Abbey for her :p
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'YOU' clearly aren't one of the people that An Throplogist was referring to. She was talking about people like me, who don't know a salsa from a samba, and I'm here to tell her that I couldn't care less. I have as much interest in watching random members of the public making a show of themselves with what they term dancing, as I have in nuclear physics. So An Thropologist can rest easy - I would never mistake Abbey for her :p

Nuclear physics is an enthralling subject :eek:
    Even as a dabbler (:D <
    evil mad grin) I know that much
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pet Monkey wrote: »

:D:)....

actually, I'd choose it over a salsa, any day :o
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The judges seem to think that Abbeys dance was one of the best dances in a Strictly history, that's what a perfect score is meant to mean. Nothing they can say will ever convince me that it was anything other than a reasonably good dance & nothing more. For me it's the biggest piece of manipulative leaderboard rigging since Matt & Flavia's 'perfect' waltz & trying to force Tom out.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member

As a matter of fact I wasn't. I don't know you and your opinion is of no importance to me. In fact I have never even noticed you on DS before. You flatter yourself to think you feature in my thinking in any shape or form.

I was referring to real people who I know at work, neighbours and so forth who know that salsa is one of my passions. They know I go out after 10pm in all weathers to dance salsa and wonder why anyone would do that. I get intense joy from dancing and salsa in particular. For some of us discovering something that brings such pleasure is something you want to share in the hope that others may also experience happiness. So when it is portrayed on national TV as something completely at odds with what it is I is more than disappointing.

If you find that difficult to understand then I hope that one day you too find something life affirming that brings you such joy that you want others to experience it too. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »

One of the best Lindy Hop leads I know is a nuclear physicist :)

For some reason, it's a dance that attracts a lot of scientists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, do different dances attract different characters in broad terms?? :cool: I wonder why? For example, Salsa people (so far) seem quite 'earthy' (I picked that word on purpose instead of horny or mucky :p:)).

I watched your Charleston competition vid on that other thread... Forgive me asking because I don't mean it badly at all, but are the Charleston and Lindy Hop geeky kinds of dance? There's something in the looseness and the shuffle-iness of them that looks offbeat and counter-cultureish. I'm used on SCD to seeing Charleston as a bit twee. But your guys looked like the jazz age come alive.

Oh, and thank you to all the dance people on the forum who can share their expertise. Yeah, yeah, yeah, SCD can't reach those standards and Abbey, Pat etc can't be accountable for their choreography, but you all add something that us ordinary joes wouldn't be able to guess at without you.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the top 10s on Strictly...

... where do I start?
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is that so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    Is that so.

Terry, what accent do you speak with? Just being nosy. Would add even more to my enjoyment of your posts -- otherwise my sense floats too free.

'Is that so?' I heard first with a south Carolina accent, and then with an Edinburgh accent. But you usually sound Bristolean. I'm sure all of these guesses are wrong. Please help. :cool: