why has Rik Mayalls death hit people so hard?

Comments

• kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to read this thread. However, yesterday I went out to coffee with a group of friends after we collected our kids from nursery and not one person mentioned Rik. When OH came home I asked him if anyone had mentioned him dying and he said no.
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my head Rik Mayall is still in his early 20s and I'm still 17. It's thrown us all hard to realise we're more than halfway through our lives and Rik's has ended prematurely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has ended prematurely.

(ooh err sounds a bit rude)

Yeah its a shame he is no longer with us. I would have liked to seen another great sitcom of his.
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=daveycrocket222;73129260](ooh err sounds a bit rude)

Yeah its a shame he is no longer with us. I would have liked to seen another great sitcom of his.[/QUOTE]

Rik would probably like that ;-)
  • MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    It feels slightly surreal that we were watching an episode of Bottom the night before Rik died. Our kids had never seen it before and were laughing their heads off. When my daughter was younger her favourite film was Drop dead Fred and she couldn't believe it was the same person.:D

He'll be very missed.
  • kat's mumkat's mum Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Interesting to read this thread. However, yesterday I went out to coffee with a group of friends after we collected our kids from nursery and not one person mentioned Rik. When OH came home I asked him if anyone had mentioned him dying and he said no.

He did die on Monday though. When I went into work Tuesday it was all everyone was talking about but it hasn't been mentioned since as everyone just gets on with things.
    When Kat came over yesterday I said how shocked I was but she didn't know who he was!!:o However she does as she would have seen him in Jonathan Creek and when she was little I watched drop dead Fred with her.
    For me it is a generation thing, I was in my last year at school when Kevin Turvey hit our screens and I also adored the comic strip presents series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mybelle wrote: »
    It feels slightly surreal that we were watching an episode of Bottom the night before Rik died. Our kids had never seen it before and were laughing their heads off. When my daughter was younger her favourite film was Drop dead Fred and she couldn't believe it was the same person.:D

He'll be very missed.

Drop Dead Fred was my favourite film as a kid. I fondly loved it and still do to this day. Its a wonderful film.

The day before he died I had been watching the comic relief song.

Alough now I might start to get the young ones dvd and watch the episodes on a daily basis 1 episode per night. Then go through Filthy Rich & then Bottom.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I've only seen a few programmes with Rik Mayalls as I now live in Germany but I remember him being an extremely nice guy, not "tortured" like so many comedians who have a very different private face and often (rather oddly) seem to suffer from depression!!! 56 is young, we did not have indication he was ill in anyway so it was a shock to read he had a heart attack after jogging!! His family must be absolutely shattered.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being in my 50's myself, it was a shock that someone of my age group could just die without warning - death is usually associated with old age :o
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Good question, can't answer it except to say he was much loved and it's like losing a good mate.

I'm still sad and thinking often about Rik.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

It's the opposite amongst my family, we are all gutted, even my 13 year old nephew, who came running downstairs in shock to give the news to his dad. And we all spoke of him again today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tests were inconclusive. Im still saying it was down to something to do with his quad Bike accident that happened in 1998.
  • breakofdawnbreakofdawn Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I guess it's sad for me because he seemed like a lovely guy who had plenty of time for his fans and loved his family. Furthermore he's not much older than my dad, so it's a bit of a shock to hear of someone dying if they're a similar age to you or someone close to you (I reacted similarly to Peaches Geldof, just as a recent example, as she was a similar age to me). Finally I guess the fact that he didn't die under suspicious circumstances also plays a part. It makes it feel more real and relateable I think, which is sad and it unsettles me as though I knew him personally.

I don't think I've ever seen him in anything other than The Young Ones and Blackadder but I always enjoyed him in those and will be seeking out some of his other work. He was obviously very talented and it's a shame to lose someone with that talent!
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i must be one of the few but i did not find him funny at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the opposite amongst my family, we are all gutted, even my 13 year old nephew, who came running downstairs in shock to give the news to his dad. And we all spoke of him again today.

No-one I know has so far even mentioned this. Yesterday, I went out with friends and I didn't mention it and nor did they. I mentioned his death to my next door neighbor, who is over 50, and he wasn't bothered or interested. I must admit though I have never seen him in anything except some very irritating adverts.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    i must be one of the few but i did not find him funny at all.
    I'm sure lots of people didn't find him funny, but they have the sensitivity to keep quiet.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some mind person has put all his 90s Nintendo ads on You Tube.
    These are great!
    http://youtu.be/w24KR30nEsg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    I'm sure lots of people didn't find him funny, but they have the sensitivity to keep quiet.

What's it got to do with sensitivity? Surely this is a discussion forum and people are free to post that they didn't like someone. After all, it isn't as if people who actually knew the guy personally will be reading this, is it?

As for the title of this thread. I have endeavored to find out if his death has hit anyone I know hard, and it doesn't seem to have, and I know a lot of people. Since he died I have not come across a single person who has even mentioned it. This is not to say, I hasten to add, that some people aren't talking about it, but just to say that people I know aren't. I mean, not only has it not hit them hard, they actually couldn't care less.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was so upset when I heard that I actually cried. I don't think I've ever cried for someone I've never met before. (I did see him at a services near Silverstone once though, he was shoving an entire cheeseburger in his mouth.) I read that he went through the probably inevitable feeling that he'd been forgotten, and it makes me so sad that people are trying to get him to number one, donating to charity for him, buying his book and watching his shows, and he doesn't know. It must be a comfort to his family though.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has hit people hard, ie his fans, because it was premature, and out of the blue. I can't say he was ever a favorite of mine, his comedy always seemed very juvenile, and I certainly don't think he was a 'genius' but yes it is sad.

People always say weird things when a celeb dies prematurely. I actually think 'Bottom' was strictly schoolboy humor, but to hear some people talk now, you would think it was the most groundbreaking comedy ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact, the only 'alternative' comedians I ever thought were very funny were French and Saunders. They were certainly the most successful.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has hit people hard, ie his fans, because it was premature, and out of the blue. I can't say he was ever a favorite of mine, his comedy always seemed very juvenile, and I certainly don't think he was a 'genius' but yes it is sad.

People always say weird things when a celeb dies prematurely. I actually think 'Bottom' was strictly schoolboy humor, but to hear some people talk now, you would think it was the most groundbreaking comedy ever.

I don't like 'toilet' humour, but when you take that out of Bottom (I can see why they chose that title, everything you say around it sounds wrong!) the writing and acting were of a really strong standard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    I don't like 'toilet' humour, but when you take that out of Bottom (I can see why they chose that title, everything you say around it sounds wrong!) the writing and acting were of a really strong standard.

Well, I disagree, I think it was tedious, and childish, very 'studentish' which sums up most of his output imo.

I don't think it's disrespectful at all to voice an honest opinion of someone, even when they die. But he was popular, however i am sure that even if someone very unpopular, like Katie Price were to die tomorrow, some people on here would say how 'talented' she was etc:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    At work we spent most of Tuesday throwing quotes around and bursting out laughing at our memories of his work - I don't think there is a finer epitaph for a comedian. We're all of a similar age - 40s into 50s - so we grew up with alternative comedy. I have shed a tear, never have for a celebrity before and I plan to wear my most smashing blouse on the day of his funeral. ;-)