Options

Robert Goddard Books

-Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've read a couple of his novels.

One was outstanding ("Into the Blue"), the other diabolical ("Set in Stone").

I want to try a few more, but need to know which ones are worth reading!

I was especially curious about his more recent offerings "Sight unseen" and "Long time Coming".

Comments

• Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert Goddard is my favourite author!

I have enjoyed all of his books except for Sea Change which I couldn't finish.

I have to say Into the Blue was my favourite though - one of my favourite two books ever [the other being The Kite Runner]- it has the best twist in the tale of any book I have ever read!

My second favourite is Caught in the Light, others I would highly recommendnare:Past Caring, Beyond Recall and Days without Number (had trouble understanding the end of this though but it was very well written!)

I enjoyed Out of the Sun which is the follow up to Into the Blue, but my son (who is also a Goddard fan) didn't like it very much.

Recommedationn from my son: Painting the Darkness. I found this one a bit heavy going but it was still good.
  • Options
    ImaPlumImaPlum Posts: 6,072
    Forum Member
    I enjoy Robert Goddard's books too. My main problem though is that the title alone never reminds me what the story is about, so I have to go and read the blurb to remember which is which and which I enjoyed more than others.

My favourite though is still the first one that I read which is "Past Caring". Generally, I find him a reliable author, at worst they're OK but at best they're unputdownable.

Edited: Just remembered that you mentioned specifically "Sight Unseen" - for some reason it took me quite a while and several attempts to get into it but when I did, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers you two for your swift replies!

Since you both mention "Past Caring" I'll try that one next :)
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    One of my favourites was Never go Back. Couldn't put it down !
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The early ones are very good, and the writing is far superior. It's as if another person is writing them now. The style is different, everything happens at breakneck speed and no one can seem to ..... utter a whole .... sentence without ..... gasping for ...... breath. :rolleyes:

Past Caring is possibly the best, try In Pale Battalions and Painting The Darkness as well.
  • Options
    OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite authors - love all that he has done!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »

The blurb to that one sounds good!

Thanks for all your replies :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Button62 wrote: »

I agree, this is my favourite.

Great author, the twists and turns in his books, never see them coming.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I always look out for Robert Goddard's books. My favourite, and the first one of his I read, is Days Without Number. More recently I enjoyed Found Wanting. I do find that his earlier stuff is better than his more recent books though.
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have read most of Robbert Goddard's, but haven't picked one up for for quite a while. Really like them.

Loved Days Without Number because the setting was local to me so I enjoyed all the familiar place names.:)
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His early books are better than his later ones; they change came with "sea change", which was just....ordinary. Of his later ones, I love "sight unseen", the only one I didn;t finish was "found wanting"....I just thought it was silly.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought 'Never Go Back' yesterday. It's the first Robert Goddard book I'm reading and it's really enjoyable so far :)
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble with RG is that the titles of his books bear no relation to the story. I think I've read all of them, but I can't tell you what the titles are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    The trouble with RG is that the titles of his books bear no relation to the story. I think I've read all of them, but I can't tell you what the titles are.

Good point!

They are a bit vague aren't they?

I've had so many books to read that I haven't got round to ordering any RG novels since I made this thread. But "Never Go Back" is top of my to-order list this time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »

That is exactly my problem with Robert Goddard too! The only one I can name with absolute certainty as to what it's about is "Past Caring" and I'm fairly sure that that's only because it was the first one I read! Anytime anyone mentions a book by him, I have to either potter over to the bookcase and see which one it is, or look it up on t'internet to see if (a) I read it or (b) it's any good.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - the only one that seems well-chosen is "In Pale Battalions" because it's a quotation from a WWI poem and does have an echo in the plot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm reading "Borrowed Time" at the moment and I am not liking it at all. I don't know whether it's because I don't particularly like any of the main characters or what the problem is, but all that is keeping me going at the moment is the fact that it's the only book I have! I'm hoping that the second half of the book is better than the first!