Options

Week 6 (Rock 'n' Roll)

Christian CageChristian Cage Posts: 6,240
Forum Member
Tonight each couple will be performing a paso doble or a tango. Then at the end of the show they will all participate in a rock 'n' roll dance marathon.

Comments

• Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit disappointed in last night's show.
    It seemed a bit flat to me.
  • Options
    tiddlebootiddleboo Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought Brandy was Excellent in both dances, don't quite know what Macs has done to her but I like it!

Was cheering for Bristol, so happy she got her high score and was the judges favourite performance.

As for the rest, I agree. Disapointing night. The wicked (Halloweeney) side of me enjoyed seeing moany Jen in the bottom 2 though. She has a bad neck, has she mentioned it? We know Jen, don't let Derek pick you up by the neck then!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    I loved the top ten of the previous dances, although I disagreed with the order. :)

Was really pleased that two of Julianne and Apolo's dances got in, though I'd have put their paso in there too, and I think I'd have put Derek and Nicole's 50s paso at number 1, although Derek's done so many good dance it makes it hard to choose.

Actually my personal top ten would consist of Julianne and Apolo, together with Derek and one of his partners. :D
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    tiddleboo wrote: »
    Thought Brandy was Excellent in both dances, don't quite know what Macs has done to her but I like it!

Was cheering for Bristol, so happy she got her high score and was the judges favourite performance.

As for the rest, I agree. Disapointing night. The wicked (Halloweeney) side of me enjoyed seeing moany Jen in the bottom 2 though. She has a bad neck, has she mentioned it? We know Jen, don't let Derek pick you up by the neck then!!!

Her neck would affect posture and other things. They are forced to talk about something, and a lot of them repeat themselves. The footage is obviously heavily edited too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Her neck would affect posture and other things. They are forced to talk about something, and a lot of them repeat themselves. The footage is obviously heavily edited too.

I know what Tiddleboo means though, I said something similar when we were watching last night. Some people take part and don't mention the pain they were in until the show is over but I appreciate your point about it being edited and it could be they're choosing to portray her as bravely battling on.
  • Options
    tiddlebootiddleboo Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely they must realise how it is starting to grate though? She is a wonderful dancer and doesn't need to have a 'sob-story' to get her through.

Forgot to mention the top 10, loved it but would have put Derek and Nicole's Tango in there too.
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved seing Derek & Joanna's futuristic Paso again.
  • Options
    martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed last night's show.

It was a bit razzamatazzy, and probably disapproved of by some Strictly purists, and ill-humoured Sunday school teachers.

The review of the Top Ten made for a late start. But it was interesting. I was struck by how many of those dances featured the Houghs. We miss Julianne. Nice to see that Maks/Mell paso again. I didn't care for the #1 choice, though I suppose that the cowboy theme appealled to a large section of the US audience.

Outstanding dances from the night for me were: Jennifer's paso; it may have been wild, but I liked it. And also Maks and Brandy; it was another Maks dance with attitude.

I feel that Tony is a very weak pro and teacher, when compared with Maks. Maks has the ability, not only to move the girl round very strongly, but also to motivate someone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm glad that Mel B and Maks Paso Doble got into the top 10. It should of been higher up on the list.

I'm sad that Audrina and Tony left the show early as I was really starting to like their partnership. I don't think having no proper bottom two for the last five weeks has helped them at all. I am certain they must of been in the bottom two at one point and if the audience had known they were close to be eliminated then they would have voted more for them. I hope Tony gets a really good partner next season.

I wanted Kurt to go this week as I thought his Paso was a awful.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sort of mixed reaction from me to be honest: I liked seeing the "Top 10" favourite dances, but thought it would have been better to have split them up over several shows. Seeing the whole lot in one sitting, made me go and put the kettle on.

Also wasn't keen on all the rock music, it was too much, but admit it is all a matter of taste, others probably loved it.

I wasn't that surprised to see Audrina voted out. She has everything going for her to be a dancer - she can move, has fabulous body, but she is just so bland. There is no emotion at all.

Kyle makes me laugh, and he certainly has enthusiasm, I just wish he had been partnered with one of the other pros instead of Lacey, who is doing him no favours with her weird choreography.

Bad week for Jennifer; it was a great routine, but felt the music was too fast and she struggled to keep up (maybe they had practised to a CD which had been slightly slower? That does happen sometimes). I also felt she was looking a bit tired. Still felt she was undermarked when compared to Kyle.

Rick's tango suited the music, but personally I would have liked to see more movement around the floor and more light and shade.

Bristol danced a 'real' tango with few gimmicks - apart from the totally pointless air-guitar bit(???) She was able to concentrate on learning the dance without the need for performance, and looked greatly improved.

Paso is just so not Kurt's dance! A few bits looked really good, but I think he took too much notice of the rock guy who visited him, and not enough notice of Anna's teaching.

Brandy's tango was fast and furious, but totally in control the whole time. She has certainly improved over the last 2 weeks. It was a "real" tango, with no unnecessary gimmicks, and my favourite dance of the night by a huge mile. and I thought slightly undermarked.
  • Options
    LilystarLilystar Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »

Brandy's tango was fast and furious, but totally in control the whole time. She has certainly improved over the last 2 weeks. It was a "real" tango, with no unnecessary gimmicks, and my favourite dance of the night by a huge mile. and I thought slightly undermarked.

I'd agree with this - I was expecting her to get at least one 10 for that, and I thought the judges were a bit stingy.

I also would have liked them to spread the top ten dances out over a few weeks, and I would have put Derek's futuristic paso higher than the 50s one, but that's just personal taste. It was great to see Gilles and Cheryl's AT though, I love that routine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lilystar wrote: »
    I'd agree with this - I was expecting her to get at least one 10 for that, and I thought the judges were a bit stingy.

I also would have liked them to spread the top ten dances out over a few weeks, and I would have put Derek's futuristic paso higher than the 50s one, but that's just personal taste.
    The funny thing was I'd watched them both on YouTube yesterday a few hours before the show and had no idea they'd be doing a top 10. I really like both dances. I thought the futuristic one was genius when I first saw it, but there's something about the 50s one that just edges it for me. Possibly the fact it's with Nicole as I thought they were such a great partnership. I thought I wouldn't like her but thought she came over really well with a lovely sense of humour.
    It was great to see Gilles and Cheryl's AT though, I love that routine.
    Yes, I wanted Gilles and Cheryl to win that year.
  • Options
    jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit disappointed in last night's show.
    It seemed a bit flat to me.

I agree I FF'd most of the "Top Ten" except for Mel/Maks & Joanna/Derek's paso's; I loved them both. I did watch no 1 to see what the fuss was about, cos I did not watch early seasons (as we could not get them over here then). I was not impressed at all with that chap dancing with Cheryl, he seemed sloppy. Shows how the standards have improved over the years.
    The only dance I liked this week was Bristol/Mark's. I never like the dance-offs so that was put on FF too :o. I have not bothered to watch the results show either as it all bored me tbh & could not face another long drawn out fiasco.
    Surprised Audrina's gone tho, she was n't the worse but it's probably down to a popularity vote at the mo, cos except for the two front-runners they are all quite middling imo. I thought Kurt was the weakest followed by Kyle (but I agree with Kaycee, Lacey is getting on my wick with her choreography not suiting him).
  • Options
    LilystarLilystar Posts: 396
    Forum Member

Me too. I was actually really surprised by the on-screen graphic during their dance that said he lost by less than 1%, as I had no idea it had been so close. I thought he was amazing, and Cheryl came up with some fab choreography that season.

I'd also agree that Drew and Cheryl's dance wasn't up to the standard of some of the more recent seasons, but he really did improve a lot over the course of his season, and he was so enthusiastic about the whole show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lilystar wrote: »
    Me too. I was actually really surprised by the on-screen graphic during their dance that said he lost by less than 1%, as I had no idea it had been so close. I thought he was amazing, and Cheryl came up with some fab choreography that season.
    Giles and Cheryl lost because of their disappointing freestyle. Shawn and Mark's freestyle was amazing and won them the show.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too, I thought he was great.
  • Options
    rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    i thought it was a good show. although i would have preferred a different theme to rock n roll. im surprised mya and dmitry wern't in the top 10. and im surprised sabrina and mark wern't there either easily two of the best dancers in DWST & SCD history.
  • Options
    Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giles and Cheryl lost because of their disappointing freestyle. Shawn and Mark's freestyle was amazing and won them the show.

Yes, considering there was only a percent between them in the votes, it really did come down to the freestyle.

I was personally delighted Shawn and Mark won, loved them from week one. :D
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

I though Gile's Freestyle was overmarked - he barely did anything!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two of my favourite dances are the Argentine Tango and the Paso Doble so i was a bit gutted they wasted them on rock week, i think they have much more intensity when done to more traditional music.

The top 10 bit, pleased to see plenty of Hough action in there and shocked at the no.1, Gille should've got that one.

Although a bit gutted for Derek and his track record, it's nice to see Maks winning the marathon with Brandy.

(Can you tell i watch for the Pros?! ;))