Options

Has an advertising campaign ever changed your behaviour?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
Forum Member
✭✭
I think it did mine. In the mid 80's there was a very hard-hitting drink driving campaign, in which grieving family members - genuine, not actors - talked about their dead or catastrophically disabled relatives. I used to ride a motorbike, and fooled myself that it was all right to drink and drive because I would only hurt myself in an accident. (I remember - and I am not proud of this - actually being helped onto my bike after a party.) I remember that one of the people in the campaign talked about losing her daughter, who had the same name as my daughter. I never drank and drove again.

What seems more bizarre now is that in the 1970's I had a fur coat. :blush: I bought it second (or 20th) hand in Brighton and felt like the last word in cool. It was a balding, scraggy object, but warm and soft, and even though I was at a very left-wing, right-on university, it attracted precisely no negative comments. Would I walk out of the house in a fur coat now? HELL no.

Comments

• Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Nope.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope.

:D Lol. It's always so rewarding on DS.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    No.

And "public service announcements" are generally patronising as hell.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a few people who have stopped texting while driving thanks to that video with the 3 girls in the car that crashes when the driver is texting.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Does having chicken-burgers for dinner after seeing an advert on telly for KFC count?

Tesco do some lovely "spicey chicken burgers" which taste exactly like zingers on a bun with a bit of lettuce and mayo'. :blush:
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Similarly, it was a driving campaign that featured family of those killed in an RTC. I would have sometimes used my mobile - really not often - when I was driving and figured what's the worst that could happen, I know I'm in control.

The ad had an absolutely heartbroken mum who had lost her daughter in a crash following 'a lot of activity on her phone'. She said something along the lines of 'if you think you're the only one in that car, think again'. It just stuck. I've known too many people to lose their lives on the road so I just try to do everything by the book (now). (I used to be awful. Speeding, eating, reading... :blush:)

I just think if I was involved in a fatal accident (ETA: not me. Duh.) I would never forgive myself as it is, without thinking it was due to me using the phone, going a bit over the speed limit, lighting a cigarette, checking out my absolutely fantastic eye make-up, etc.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. A public-information warning advert about putting a knife in your mouth.

A school boy, smiling and joking in a school canteen, was sucking food from his knife in his mouth when a boy next to him accidentally elbowed him. This froze as a long pain-filled scream was let out. Then the sounds of panicked voices and hysterical crying.

Straight after this, it showed a real-life photo gallery of glum-looking children, all in hospital gowns, with vivid-red, newly-stitched injuries at their mouth corners. One photo had a boy with some jaw flesh hanging off a long, gaping wound and the next photo, the same boy with his long wound covered in black stitches. Pretty graphic.

I never put a knife in mine, but wasn't bothered when friends did this. After seeing that gallery, I was vigilant in stopping them from doing this.

Edited:
    I can't find the advert, but some of you might find this useful: An online exhibition of public information films (1945-2006) at the National Archives.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »

A school boy, smiling and joking in a school canteen, was sucking food from his knife in his mouth when a boy next to him accidentally elbowed him. This froze as a long pain-filled scream was let out. Then the sounds of panicked voices and hysterical crying.

Kinda related....

I was recently watching an episode of Mythbusters where they were investigating how much germs get spread around by contact and via sneezing.

The whole thing was very enlightening but the one main thing they realised was that if you're going to cough or sneeze you should really be doing it into the crook of your elbow.
    This is more hygienic than using a hanky 'cos the hanky's in your hands and you then touch stuff with your hands.

Talking to an American mate, this is quite widely known in the USA but I've yet to meet anybody in the UK who knows this is what they really "should" be doing.

Perhaps an advertising campaign wouldn't go amiss there?
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Yes.

The old advert where it showed an 'invisible' trail of bacteria from raw chicken, on things you might touch after handling it.

It has stuck in my mind every time I cook chicken and to this day, due to that campaign, I am fanatical about being careful with chicken.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

Straight after this, it showed a real-life photo gallery of glum-looking children, all in hospital gowns, with vivid-red, newly-stitched injuries at their mouth corners. One photo had a boy with some jaw flesh hanging off a long, gaping wound and the next photo, the same boy with his long wound covered in black stitches. Pretty graphic.

I never put a knife in mine, but wasn't bothered when friends did this. After seeing that gallery, I was vigilant in stopping them from doing this.

Edited:
    I can't find the advert, but some of you might find this useful: An online exhibition of public information films (1945-2006) at the National Archives.

What about forks?
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I don't know if this counts but I no longer trust meerkats as much as I used to since the Comparethemarket campaign began.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

We need a Renaissance in telling it like it is.

Another: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/1964to1979/filmpage_hammer.htm

I bet the Jimmy Savile Clunk-Click adverts are really stomach turning these days.
    But I draw the line at that and won't post a link.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What were the safety things Saville used to do back in the 80s about safety? It was pretty gruesome stuff for kids, like what happened if you were a tool who climbed a pylon or if you were the stupid that pulled a kettle on top of you. I lapped that stuff right up but it terrified my little sister.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The seatbelt one from the 70's. I've worn one ever since.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I don't know if this counts but I no longer trust meerkats as much as I used to since the Comparethemarket campaign began.

:o They know how to use computers. Scary.
  • Options
    Finn MarleyFinn Marley Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Plenty of times. I become angry and trow ting at my television
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Yep, never bought a packet of Opal Fruits or a Marathon since they changed their names to Starbursts and Snickers!.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Sometimes I have heard about a new program and think it might be worth watching but after seeing it advertised 100 or more times I have lost all interest in it.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »

I've never run across a railway line and got my football boots caught under the track either. And I always look both ways when crossing the road and never got into a strangers car or van to see their new puppies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the AIDS public information film I made sure to keep my distance from precariously balanced tombstones.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I started eating chick peas after they had them as part of the basic diet on Big Brother
    a decade ago

Helen - is there any chicken in chick peas ?............:p
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was young, there was a campaign saying 'If you smoke, Marc Bolan will never kiss you'. So I took up smoking and, what do you know, it worked!
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never buy a suite from DFS

But seriously, I ALWAYS wear a seat belt and NEVER drink and drive.

I'm not gonna say anything about the YES/NO vote for Scotland, except..... both Salmond and Darling don't convince me either way.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a PSA-type broadcast that used to be on in the week hours on an obscure freeview channel, usually between episodes of Takeshi’s castle. I can’t remember the exact plot, but a woman makes a chicken sandwhich and there’s a glowing purple smear wherever the raw chicken has touched. Her husband then falls ill because he’s eaten something that’s touched something that had raw chicken on it. That advert meant that I took extra care whenever I handled raw chicken at home, I had a separate raw-chicken-only chopping board & knife and thoroughly washed it in boiling water from the kettle.

(Doesn’t bother me so much now as I don’t cook meat at home).

ETA: probably the same one as radiomaniacs:
    Yes.

The old advert where it showed an 'invisible' trail of bacteria from raw chicken, on things you might touch after handling it.

It has stuck in my mind every time I cook chicken and to this day, due to that campaign, I am fanatical about being careful with chicken.

There was also a tale of a fly who played with matches and burnt the insect kingdom to the ground, he was punished by having his back-end lit on fire, it glowed as a warning to other children to not play with fire. That stuck with me too, but didn’t alter my behaviour as I wasn’t all that bothered with matches in the first place.