New Kindle now for £109/149. Absolute bargain.

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you buy the Kindle can you only buy books from the Amazon store?

Without an additional work, yes. If you buy elsewhere, it will be in epub format not supported by Kindle and DRM protected. You would have to remove the DRM protection first and then convert the book to MOBI format. You need to use google for the DRM removal (not posting links here ;) ), the conversion to mobi can be done with Calibre. It's not complicated, I converted my Sony purchases for Kindle and only use Kindle now.
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,513
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Without an additional work, yes. If you buy elsewhere, it will be in epub format not supported by Kindle and DRM protected. You would have to remove the DRM protection first and then convert the book to MOBI format. You need to use google for the DRM removal (not posting links here ;) ), the conversion to mobi can be done with Calibre. It's not complicated, I converted my Sony purchases for Kindle and only use Kindle now.

Thank you. I'm debating getting one myself or maybe asking for one for Xmas...
  • RolnikovRolnikov Posts: 967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Like I said in the Books forum, this isn't actually true - you can buy books from lots of places other than Amazon for Kindle, such as Fictionwise and Smashwords, as well using free books from Gutenberg, Feedbooks, and so on.

Any .mobi or pdf file will work on the Kindle, unless it has DRM applied, and plenty of places sell books as pdfs and mobi files without DRM.
  • JS477JS477 Posts: 1,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the books you buy off iTunes DRM protected? If you remove the DRM could you put them onto a Kindle?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JS477 wrote: »
    Are the books you buy off iTunes DRM protected? If you remove the DRM could you put them onto a Kindle?

AFAIK they use epub format with an Apple proprietary DRM. But I have no way to confirm it for 100%, I do not have an ipad. I do not know if it can be removed in the same way as from non-apple epub files. But removing it is essential for using it elsewhere, not just on an ipad.
  • marcouk76marcouk76 Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if this has already been discussed in the past: been reading through the first 6 pages of the thread and then jumped to the end.

Has anybody else got issues with the low availability of titles on the Kindle Store?

Last night I did a search for some books and I think I found about 3 out of the 10 I looked for!

These are some of the books I searched for and couldn't find:

The catcher in the rye by JD Salinger
    Kittens for Dummies
    The Perks of Being a wallflower
    50 London walks by Adrian Duncan
    Some Italian books available on Amazon.co.uk

My 2nd question is: With the Kindle Browser, is it possible to use programs such as MSN?

Finally, I was thinking to get one when I go to the US in a few weeks (works out at about £25 cheaper); will I have any issues in the UK or would that work normally here as well?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your selection of books is pretty special, I found only one in US Kindle shop and they do have a lot of titles. Did you check other ebook shops? I tried WHSmith, they had none.

Do you want 3G version or wi-fi only? Because they sell 3G models with different serial numbers in US and Europe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelgi?nodeId=200529700

There might be consequences if you import the 3G model for US market to UK.
  • marcouk76marcouk76 Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your selection of books is pretty special, I found only one in US Kindle shop and they do have a lot of titles. Did you check other ebook shops? I tried WHSmith, they had none.

Do you want 3G version or wi-fi only? Because they sell 3G models with different serial numbers in US and Europe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelgi?nodeId=200529700

There might be consequences if you import the 3G model for US market to UK.

Yes I realise some of the books I looked for were "niche", however I was quite surprised not to find The Catcher in the rye which is one of the most popular books in the world!

I am looking to buy the 3G version, but if buying it in the US means having problems when I am in the UK, I'd just buy it directly here. Just not sure atm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcouk76 wrote: »
    Yes I realise some of the books I looked for were "niche", however I was quite surprised not to find The Catcher in the rye which is one of the most popular books in the world!

I am looking to buy the 3G version, but if buying it in the US means having problems when I am in the UK, I'd just buy it directly here. Just not sure atm.

Maybe they are not alowed to have it as ebook, you can find essays, guides etc about it, but not the book itself :confused: BTW I just googled it and found it as a PDF file :D
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marcouk76 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been discussed in the past: been reading through the first 6 pages of the thread and then jumped to the end.

Has anybody else got issues with the low availability of titles on the Kindle Store?

Last night I did a search for some books and I think I found about 3 out of the 10 I looked for!

These are some of the books I searched for and couldn't find:

The catcher in the rye by JD Salinger
    Kittens for Dummies
    The Perks of Being a wallflower
    50 London walks by Adrian Duncan
    Some Italian books available on Amazon.co.uk

My 2nd question is: With the Kindle Browser, is it possible to use programs such as MSN?

Finally, I was thinking to get one when I go to the US in a few weeks (works out at about £25 cheaper); will I have any issues in the UK or would that work normally here as well?

It's not really due to the poor selection of the kindle store but more to do with the number of books presently available in the ebook format. The kindle store probably has the biggest selection of books out of all the ebook stores.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ordered mine 10 days ago and still no news of even an estimated delivery date :(

I'm getting bored on playing with my leather case...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Ordered mine 10 days ago and still no news of even an estimated delivery date :(

I had my charger to play with almost for a month :D Now they dispatch in 2-3 weeks, so you will have to wait for a few more days ;)
  • cymrugirlcymrugirl Posts: 3,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I ordered a 3G one around the same time and got no date either. But a user guide has appeared under 'Manage my kindle' yesterday but don't know if that even means anything.

Oh well - just have to wait a little bit longer. At least it gives me time to wishlist all the books I want. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cymrugirl wrote: »
    I ordered a 3G one around the same time and got no date either. But a user guide has appeared under 'Manage my kindle' yesterday but don't know if that even means anything.

Oh well - just have to wait a little bit longer. At least it gives me time to wishlist all the books I want. :p

In order to pass some time, I have just installed Kindle for PC and the user guide is available there too. Just downloaded a few free books to test the ordering process and it's easy peasy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool - I just got an email from Amazon saying dispatch estimate of 29th September.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool - I just got an email from Amazon saying dispatch estimate of 29th September.

Good for you! I still haven't heard anything. I'm going away in early October so I'd like to have mine by then.
  • JS477JS477 Posts: 1,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I received a similar email. I just hope it is dispatched on or before the 29th as I would like to take it away with me on my holiday just after the 29th. If it hasn't arrive by my departure date I fear I'll have to cancel my order.
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    How long did it take you to get used to reading a kindle?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's light, ~0.25 kg, there's a very little display glare, the contrast is very good, you can adjust a font size. It's very comfortable to use.
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ordered 30 Aug and it dispatched today!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How easy is it to convert PDF's to mobi.?

I have about 200 PDF books that i bought form ebay and would like to be able to read these. If i convert them to mobi. will they all fit on the screen or auto correct themselves to fit by changing the length of the lines etc (don't know what this is called).

I did buy a sony ereader from QVC at Xmas last year but found the PDF's really difficult to read so ended up sending it back.

Am i right in thinking that that if i try the kindle and don't like it i can't send it back??

I'm very tempted to go for the Kindle as just made £70 selling junk on ebay so it isn't going to cost me much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you! I still haven't heard anything. I'm going away in early October so I'd like to have mine by then.
    JS477 wrote: »
    I received a similar email. I just hope it is dispatched on or before the 29th as I would like to take it away with me on my holiday just after the 29th. If it hasn't arrive by my departure date I fear I'll have to cancel my order.

Just got another email from amazon, this time saying estimated arrival is the 27th so you'll probably get a similar email.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lululamb wrote: »
    How easy is it to convert PDF's to mobi.?

I have about 200 PDF books that i bought form ebay and would like to be able to read these. If i convert them to mobi. will they all fit on the screen or auto correct themselves to fit by changing the length of the lines etc (don't know what this is called).

I did buy a sony ereader from QVC at Xmas last year but found the PDF's really difficult to read so ended up sending it back.

Am i right in thinking that that if i try the kindle and don't like it i can't send it back??

I'm very tempted to go for the Kindle as just made £70 selling junk on ebay so it isn't going to cost me much.

It's very easy to convert PDFs to Mobi. I assume that the disc you bought on ebay has unprotected files??? I have bought a few discs myself which contained non protected PDFs and I was able to convert them to mobi using a software called calibre. It's free all you need to do is downloaded it then you can convert any unprotected book to the mobi format. The converted files look fine on the kindle screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very easy to convert PDFs to Mobi. I assume that the disc you bought on ebay has unprotected files??? I have bought a few discs myself which contained non protected PDFs and I was able to convert them to mobi using a software called calibre. It's free all you need to do is downloaded it then you can convert any unprotected book to the mobi format. The converted files look fine on the kindle screen.

Well i guess that has sealed the deal for me. The discs only cost me about £20 for the 200 books, plus the top 100 free ones but i do have some of my fav authors in the mix.

I've logged into Amazon and have been hovering over the add to basket button for a while!! Think i might have to go for it.

Edit: It went in the basket along with a steel blue case and it has been ordered. Just have to try and forget about it until it arrives although i am known for having no patience!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had to be unprotected, you would not be able to read them. I doubt that anybody on ebay is bothered/able to set DRM using somebody's Adobe ID and is doing it officially :D

An alternative to calibre is to use one's @free.kindle.com email address and write convert in the subject. Then you'll get the converted files on the Kindle via wi-fi network. Although I would not do all 200 files over a short time ;) But calibre is quite simple to use and you won't have amazon looking at your fingers, what private files you are copying.

BTW, converting PDFs to EPUB would have most likely improved the rendering on Sony reader, too. PDF files are rather tricky, sometimes there are texts, sometimes they are pictures and it's not easy to display/reflow them on a small screen.