Options

It's time to get tough on extremism!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need to be tougher. At the end of the day, if these people don't like it here....round them up and send them back!

Do you like it here?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    So your solution is for us to become like them?

If you want to live in a country that stones people to death, go live in one!

I read it to mean they get the 'Islamic' punishment once deported but to where ever I'm not sure.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if I commit a crime I will be sent to Ireland...

It would be an improvement - it used to be Australia! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea yes yes. We should investigate, arrest, prosecute and jail these types..oh hang on.

That's pretty radical. Is that what we should really do. We could just send them home to Birmingham:p
  • Options
    TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's also making me mad is, this area in Birmingham seems to have a lot of terror raids.

I feel constant survillenace, economic sanctions and limits on movements can be the way to stop this extremism.

On top of that...deportation whether these men where born here or not and an Islamic punishment to see how they would like it.

We need to crack down, and being tough is the way forward.

That we keep foiling all these terror plots sugests we are already doing something right. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped reading at the bit where he said he wanted to send people back to a country they are not from.
  • Options
    MrJamGdMrJamGd Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    proviso wrote: »
    I stopped reading at the bit where he said he wanted to send people back to a country they are not from.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Is an extraordinary rendition like Jedward sings Mariah Carey?
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Is an extraordinary rendition like Jedward sings Mariah Carey?
    Close, but I think it's more along the lines of Valentina Hasan singing 'Ken Lee'. Extraordinary! :D
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get tough on extremism, clamp down on conservatives. :p
  • Options
    Phil SPhil S Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OPs sentiments are correct and anybody on here trying to make him out as a racist or dismissing his post cannot in any way be taken seriously.

Where the OP has let his post down is by calling for them to be 'sent back'. Impossible with British born people.

Certainly if any dangerous people are found guilty that aren't British they should be immediately deported but British born must go through the process of the law and if found guilty must be locked up here for a long time to protect the rest of society.

The problem with justice is that it sometimes seems to favour the guilty rather than the innocent, but the fact that these people keep being weeded out is good.

If we have another 7/7 the tolerant patience will evaporate very quickly - we hope that doesn't happen - it's their choice?
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Thank goodness this terrorist plot has been discovered and stopped. They just need to be locked up where they can't do any more harm. It seems our anti terrorist squad are doing a pretty good job so let's just hope no-one avoids detection and manages to pull off the next big one.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    How far back does this country of heritage thing go? My family has been born in England for at least 500 years, a group of my ancestors fled France centuries ago. Could I be banished to France if I become a criminal?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil S wrote: »
    The OPs sentiments are correct and anybody on here trying to make him out as a racist or dismissing his post cannot in any way be taken seriously.

Where the OP has let his post down is by calling for them to be 'sent back'. Impossible with British born people.

Certainly if any dangerous people are found guilty that aren't British they should be immediately deported but British born must go through the process of the law and if found guilty must be locked up here for a long time to protect the rest of society.

The problem with justice is that it sometimes seems to favour the guilty rather than the innocent, but the fact that these people keep being weeded out is good.

If we have another 7/7 the tolerant patience will evaporate very quickly - we hope that doesn't happen - it's their choice?

^^^This - I'm surprised to see people on here being more intent on nitpicking the OP than actually commenting on one group of people planning to murder another group of people :confused:

If they are British, we have no choice but to keep them here but I would lock them up with no chance of them ever being released - they will never be safe to be allowed back into society and the imprisonment will confirm that they 'have to do what they have to do'.

Still, the soppy Brits are more concerned with 'doing the right thing' by being sympathetic it seems. Shame really as the security services are doing an excellent job of trying to keep us all safe from these nutters.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve_Dyer wrote: »
    Still, the soppy Brits are more concerned with 'doing the right thing' by being sympathetic it seems. Shame really as the security services are doing an excellent job of trying to keep us all safe from these nutters.
    I can't see anyone disagreeing with the fact that we need to take terrorism seriously. The only person not doing that on this thread is the guy who wants to send them back to terroristland as far as I can see.

But sure, use the terrorists as an excuse to turn on and criticise people in this country. That's exactly what they want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I can't see anyone disagreeing with the fact that we need to take terrorism seriously. The only person not doing that on this thread is the guy who wants to send them back to terroristland as far as I can see.

But sure, use the terrorists as an excuse to turn on and criticise people in this country. That's exactly what they want.

I'm being critical of people who come on a thread and the only comment they make is critical of the OP's concern - sadly, I assume that most people are able to understand the sentiment and answer accordingly without resorting to pedantic comebacks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm being critical of people who come on a thread and the only comment they make is critical of the OP's concern - sadly, I assume that most people are able to understand the sentiment and answer accordingly without resorting to pedantic comebacks.
    I seriously don't see what's wrong with being concerned about information received from torture or rendition to countries in which this is legal. Sorry if this is too "soppy" or "pedantic" for you. I'm sure someone will be along to bash the foreigners shortly and get the thread back on track.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we fight terrorists by treating them inhumanly? Won't this give them even more supporters?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seriously don't see what's wrong with being concerned about information received from torture or rendition to countries in which this is legal. Sorry if this is too "soppy" or "pedantic" for you. I'm sure someone will be along to bash the foreigners shortly and get the thread back on track.

What on earth are you talking about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth are you talking about?
    People who are more concerned with "doing the right thing" by being sympathetic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our security services are to be commended and I think we are already doing a lot (possibly even all that we can for the moment) to track down and bring to justice those extremists who would harm other people in an attempt to make their point.

As for deportation, of course that is an option for non British offenders, and I do think we could be more firm on this point. Yes, send them back (once any prison sentence is complete) and do not allow them to enter the country again. That should just be a given there shouldnt be any recourse or allowances for the type of environment we may possibly be sending them back to.

As for British offenders that is different. Obviously you can't "deport" them anywhere so there isnt really an easy option for when THEY may complete a prison sentence. Obviously some would get a life sentence and perhaps we should change that to actually mean life.

I agree also, that if you commit an act of terror against our country, no compromises should be made in Prison so you can follow your religion. IF that is indeed a contributing factor - its important to remember that not all terrorist acts are religiously based (although of course in the current climate most of them seem to be). Need to pray 4 times a day? Don't commit a crime then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The OP fell flat on its face with this line:
    deportation whether these men where born here or not and an Islamic punishment to see how they would like it.

It seems a pretty obvious it's a veiled attempt at promoting an agenda.

Extremism and terrorism is a serious issue, but it's a bit sad using it to promote racism and bigotry.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not even sure it's a good idea to deport non-British terrorist wannabe's. I'd feel a bit safer if I knew they were somewhere where the security forces tended to sympathise less with them and can and intend to would keep a firm eye on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who are more concerned with "doing the right thing" by being sympathetic.

Sympathetic to whom? Sorry but I'm confused by your posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP fell flat on its face with this line:

It seems a pretty obvious it's a veiled attempt at promoting an agenda.

Extremism and terrorism is a serious issue, but it's a bit sad using it to promote racism and bigotry.

The OP could be a youngster that hasn't taken the birth place into account so allowances should be made.

Other than that, the meaning is very clear irrespective of that fault of logic and I don't understand why people are attacking the OP - many British people do not want terrorists in their midst: do you?

If you are going to accuse the OP of bigotry and racism, you need to be able to back the accusation up rather than just make assumptions. If they weren't British, they would have been sent back and I'd have offered to help with the air fare for them; does that make me racist and bigoted?