Options

My 9 year old is miserable as sin at school

2»

Comments

• Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i'd move her - and lets hope the education authorities will allow her to move as the other school may not take her.

the child's happiness must come first. that's all that matters.
  • Options
    TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    From what you said my first reaction was it sound like she is being bullied or at least excluded by the other girls. I wouldn't just ignore it cos if she is crying and begging not to go to school there has to be something going on there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My worry with moving her to the other school is that will the girls she's friends with there have moved on in the meantime, she's presumably not seen them for 4 months, potentially longer with holidays etc...

I would certainly go up to school to discuss what can be done with school's help. Can she be moved forms perhaps? Is the school set? I struggled in year 7 with the other girls in my form, I simply didn't like them because they weren't like me. When we began to be set I met other girls who I did like and I had things in common with. One of these girls, I am going to the Christening of her 3rd daughter on Sunday, the best part of 20 years we've now been friends.

It's so difficult though, I still can remember intently the pain of not having anyone to speak to at lunchtime. So lonely. When similar things happens as an adult you have a bit more reserve in your own company I think but as a kid it's the worst time.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Shizuku wrote: »
    When I was 9 I was exactly the same.

What you need to do is make sure she has some kind of regular, sociable hobbie outside school.

Something that means she can meet other kids who aren't from her school, they will all share a common interest, something she can look forward to, something that requires a certain amount of focus and practise, so she can escape from thoughts of school, something that she can become good at to build self esteem.

Having interests outside of school when school is difficult for you is VERY important for self esteem building.

As for moving schools, doing that by itself would be a very hit or miss kind of affair. I think it's really important to pick up an outside hobbie, build self esteem through that, then the school move becomes less pressurised as a solution to the problem.

Agreed. Although I was a very musical child, so that was somewhat easy to sort :)