Doctor Who Series 1/5/31/Fnarg Episode 13: The Big Bang 6.05pm on BBC One

Comments

• tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I don't like resolutions based on human emotional responses. Its sci-fi not fantasy, isn't it?

It wasn't based on emotional response so much as on memory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Bobsir wrote: »
    Well at first it thought she would show mercy because she was a companion of the doctor but then she told it she was River Song and it should check it's records which is when it started begging for mercy.

I assumed it checked its records and discovered who she really is but I could be wrong.

That's how I saw it too.
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant episode and a brilliant series, cant believe its over!! As a confirmed David Tennant fan, I was pretty determined to not like Matt Smith, but I loved him straight away. Amy Pond on the other hand is a bit hit and miss. I actually prefer the young Amy to old Amy! And Rory is excellent!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps River Song is a regenerated Romana?

Regardless, it was one hell of a cracking episode, I gotta watch it again and again. It was that good.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Epic ending. Absolutely genius.

And the production values this series have been astonishing - a major, major step-up on previous series. I like the way they've laid things down for next series as well. Roll on Christmas (after this lovely Summer is over of course ;)).
  • TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    And its all very well having a story arc that runs and runs, but it leaves the viewer very unsatisfied.

Amy's parents? Where did they go? and why?

You obviously never got into Babylon 5 then, lots of story arcs of different lengths across the first 4 series and this viewer very definitely wasn't disatisfied!

As for where Amy's parents and where they went, weren't you watching or were you one of the idiots who post all the way through an ep and then wonder why they didn't understand it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TimA-C wrote: »
    You obviously never got into Babylon 5 then, lots of story arcs of different lengths across the first 4 series and this viewer very definitely wasn't disatisfied!

As for where Amy's parents and where they went, weren't you watching or were you one of the idiots who post all the way through an ep and then wonder why they didn't understand it!

Well that's definitely one way to put it.

Although I do agree that it worries me when people ask the questions that have obviously been answered in the episode. It makes you wonder what they were watching, if anything.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duplicate Post
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bobsir wrote: »
    Although I do agree that it worries me when people ask the questions that have obviously been answered in the episode. It makes you wonder what they were watching, if anything.

It is deeply annoying. People miss a line of dialogue because they weren't paying attention, then spend hours moaning about it or discussing convoluted theories with others who've also missed it to explain things that were perfectly well explained by the scriptwriter.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't based on emotional response so much as on memory.

Memory is still a human response.

Good

Yes and no.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    i VOTED EXCELLENT BUT i FELL i WAS BEING VERY GEENRAOUS, LARGE PARTS OF TEH

Wanna try that again? :confused:
  • TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    DGSx wrote: »
    *Spoilers*

"Egyptian Goddess loose on the Orient Express".

No matter what happens in my life I will never get to say anything as amazing as that.

Ditto! :) It does sound more like a case for SG-1 than DW - having said that, The Doctor and Jack O'Neill would be interesting to watch!
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching it again.

I just love the interaction between the Doctor, Rory, Amy and Amelia :)
  • 17@1717@17 Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

Questions:

How did River get to 2010?
    How did River remember the Doctor?
    Does this mean the whole of Series 5 happened in their heads only?
    Does Rory remember the museum etc? Surely that wasn't him...it was an Auton...?

Confused :(
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just love the script - thank you to i player being able to watch it again :)
    I can't hear it, says Amy, Trust the plastic, says Rory :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted excellent (would have voted Very good in the old voting options). Parts of it were excellent and tied up the series but there were large parts of it which I didn't like.

Over reliance in remembering which has been done to death this series, The reset button was really a reset button +1, In past series there has always been some negative consequence.
    1. CE doctor regenerates
    2. Rose gets stuck in parallel world
    3. Martha and Doctor Split (OK not such a big deal)
    4. Donna loses her mind and all memories of doctor

Here it was happy ever after, and I can fully see why people voted excellent, or indeed Awful, depending on which part they wanted to concentrate on.
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is deeply annoying. People miss a line of dialogue because they weren't paying attention, then spend hours moaning about it or discussing convoluted theories with others who've also missed it to explain things that were perfectly well explained by the scriptwriter.

I'm not always sure that this is down to people missing things. I think it's often down to a lack of 'emotional intelligence'.
  • sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Amy's parents? Where did they go? and why?

This is the head banging thingy Steven Moffat was on about. None of us (well you and I at least) questioned little Amelia having no parents or Aunt Sharon leaving her alone at night. She had a great big crack in her wall LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Wanna try that again? :confused:

Please note this comment was changed to "Duplicate Post", such is the speed though of the Digital Spy board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sonic157 wrote: »
    This is the head banging thingy Steven Moffat was on about. None of us (well you and I at least) questioned little Amelia having no parents or Aunt Sharon leaving her alone at night. She had a great big crack in her wall LOL

To be honest after the first episode I thought that was more than a little strange, but didn't really tie that in to the crack at that stage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    17@17 wrote: »
    ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

Questions:

Did you not see the big fat vortex manipulator on her wrist that she used at the end scene when she was leaving the Doctor?

She's a time traveller. It changed the way you see the world which is why she remembered the Doctor and why Amy remembered the clercis. It was fully explained in Flesh and Stone.

No it clearly happened, right from The Eleventh Hour, up to The Big Bang 2, they forget for a minute and it was reactivated in their memories hence Rory's "how could we ever forget the Doctor?"

Again see the above, he was an auton with Amy's memories and then his own memories and then he was simply changed into a human, forget those events for a while before remembering them again.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    17@17 wrote: »
    ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

Questions:

My take on it is that when Amy's memory bought the Doctor back at her wedding, and Rory remembered him too, then they both remembered all their series 5 adventures. Otherwise why would they be so enthuiastic about travelling with the Doctor again at the end of the episode? I bet Rory has the Auton's memories as well.

Strange seeing the companions carried through to the next series. First time in new Who that both the Doctor and the companions have progressed like that.

I wonder if Arthur Darvill will get his name in the opening titles next run. The Doctor travelling with a married couple - that's a new one (at least for new Who).
  • loz2601loz2601 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    I'll be honest - I'm a little disappointed.

I liked the plot line, and I liked how cleverly the time travel stuff was put together (even though not usually a huge fan of it!)

But plotwise, there are just some things that I feel were a bit of a cop-out. Massive drama with the Doctor being forever imprisoned? No probs, just have Rory point a sonic screwdriver at it. River trapped in the burning TARDIS? No problem, the Doctor'll just pop in and get her.

Stuff like that, built up massively at the end of the last episode and sorted out a little bit too easily for my liking slightly ruined the drama for me. I like how they've still carried a thread of thought on for the next series - but I do agree with other people who have said there are quite a few unresolved issues.

Character/actor wise - I thought Matt Smith did REALLY well tonight - I've been a little sceptical of him in the past (not so much him himself as opposed to the whole new set up with no links to the past thing - but that's another kettle of fish!) There have been times in past episodes where I've imagined Tennant doing a scene instead of Smith - not once did he even enter my head tonigh (y'know, except briefly in the rewind stage :p). So yeh, really chuffed with him.

Amy. Hmm. I didn't like her towards the start of the series much at all, but as the series went on and we saw Rory with her more and more I warmed to her a bit. And it was the same tonight, I thought she was really good throughout - until the last five mins where she tried to throw herself at the Doctor again, despite just getting married. Ended on a bit of a sour note there.

Rory. I. LOVE. HIM. Nuff said. So glad he's in the next series.

River Song.....not a huge fan, don't like the all-knowing attitude/the hints cos I think them being married is pretty creepy. Loved her line about the fez though so she earned a few points for that :D But still a littttle annoying for me, although the bit with the Dalek was interesting. Guess she's sticking around.

Overall I went for Good - cos it was a damn good piece of television. Just left feeling a bit deflated by how everything seemed to be wrapped up so easily.

As a series - still a little unsure. I've missed a few episodes altogether (so maybe my opinion is less valid) but the odd thing is - I haven't really cared. In previous years, DW was a must-not-miss. And aside from the finale (I loved the penultimate ep) I haven't really got that this series. Dunno why - can't put my finger on it. Still, roll on next series!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member

Lol, I've been think that all evening. "But . . . we've had twelve episodes, and we still don't know what Kosh looks like!"

I can understand how it might be jarring to people used to one season threads though.

I suppose it's all a matter of taste. Or rather, sensibilty. The more time I spend on this forum, the more is think the different opinions simply come from different sensibilities.

[ETA: One plot thread in B5 lasted from one of the earliest scenes of the Pilot through all five seasons to the third from last episode.
  • reeleyreeley Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I am actually enjoying this forum 'nearly' as much as I enjoyed TBB :D

So many things I was supposed to so this evening, but I have been glued to this and now I find my self planning to make Dalek Pizza's. I might have a go at some Cybermen Pretzels

My final thoughts - I watched the episode and save my typing till later, so I wasn't :rolleyes: distracted and I caught everything just as the scriptwriter meant. Some people on here might want to try that perhaps novel approach.

I preferred TBB to TPO, too many monsters last week. Just my personal taste mind you.

I loved the reference to the old man 'borrowing' the Tardis, nice , very nice

So many quotes, "It's a fez, I wear a fez now, fezzes are cool!" will be with me for years, and I just loved the 'married' speech between River and 11, excellent.

there is so much more I want to say, but, well, I think it has all been said in the POSITIVE comments above.

Matt & Karen really acted their socks off - bravo!

I just want to offer a personal thanks to Steve M for picking up the gauntlet and making a great show even better.

That's it. It's nearly half ten and I still have a whole evening of chores to do:eek: I'm off