I can't find any decent ladies shirts

CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
Forum Member
I can't be the only one who really struggles to find decent ladies shirts.
They're either completely see through, sweaty polyester, cut so badly they're too tight or tent like, or so indecent with the first button being just below your boobs.

Why can't the shops sell normal shirts? They are loads of men's cotton ones in lovely colours. It's so unfair.

In desperation I looked on the internet and found some oxford shirts from a workwear company, but they were £15 each and you had to pay postage and if they don't fit you have to pay postage to send them back. I can't afford to spend all that so I could only get two.

I want to look smart at work, but I'm struggling. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Comments

• burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy mens shirts.
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I'm a size 10. They don't make them small enough. Wish they did.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have two from Thomas Pink I got in the sale, they are expensive full price but I've been wearing them for a year and they look as good as new and fit perfectly.

My daughter wears ASDA's £2.50 ones and they aren't to bad actually. They wash okay and if you only get a couple of months out of tehm it's not been expensive.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got some lovely ones from H&M, can't find them on the website though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a size 6 shirts are always too big on me, all the ones i try seem to have huge collars. Someone needs to make decent women's shirts in proper sizes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    Buy mens shirts.

This really. It's what I do anyway, because I like shirts a bit baggier, as I usually wear them undone over a vest top or something. Women's shirts are always too tight across the bust as well, and are often too short in length. I like them to be more slouchy looking, than fitted, so men's are where it's at! :)
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty_koo wrote: »
    As a size 6 shirts are always too big on me, all the ones i try seem to have huge collars. Someone needs to make decent women's shirts in proper sizes!

Have you ever thought of going to a formal wear shop and getting a boys one? not being cheeky but it might fit and with some wide leg pants and a broad belt would look quite Katherine Hepburn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I buy my shirts from T M Lewin. I use the store in Birmimgham as it's close to my office but they do have a website. http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/
    They can seem a little bit pricey but are good quality - cut and fit. They also can take a lot of wash and wear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    The boys' department of H&M is worth a look. They go up to teenage styles and sizes, and their Boys Age 13 is roughly equivalent to a UK size 8.

I have a great waistcoat I bought there, and some nice cotton t-shirts without over-short sleeves and scoop necks.
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, I will check out the boys shirts at H&M. It's a bit embarassing though, but it's what you have to do I guess.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    H&M do lovely shirts, all of mine are from there, not from the boys/mens section though. the ones I have were all between £8 and £12, and I love them :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas Pink every time - I live not too far from Swindon and they have an outlet shop there. My Mum always says if you're buying something expensive, decide how many years it would last and divide the price by that. Looking at some of the Thomas Pink shirts I still have they probably ended up costing £5 per year!!