Kids watching scary films

13»

Comments

• The screamThe scream Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nik01 wrote: »
    :D:D I think i'd rather come face to face with a knife wielding nut than a ghost (i dont believe in ghosts BTW lol)

Ohh you're brave! Give me a ghost anyday! Give me a 6.5 nut job intent on hacking me up with a murderous rage in his eyes and I might shit it a little bit. Althought I'd still have a bash don't get me wrong
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch scary films as a young child in the eighties, stuff like Nightmare on Elm St, Poltergeist, Night of the Living Dead (I think it was called that?) etc, but it was more socially acceptable in those days to let your kids watch anything. These films scared me but it was great, very entertaining. Unfortunately, 'scary' films do not have any scare factor for me whatsoever.
  • Nik01Nik01 Posts: 9,947
    Forum Member
    The scream wrote: »
    Ohh you're brave! Give me a ghost anyday! Give me a 6.5 nut job intent on hacking me up with a murderous rage in his eyes and I might shit it a little bit. Althought I'd still have a bash don't get me wrong

I like to think ive learnt enough from watching many horror films over the years to outwit the nut job :D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to think ive learnt enough from watching many horror films over the years to outwit the nut job :D:cool:

Will you be my lodger?
  • Nik01Nik01 Posts: 9,947
    Forum Member
    Will you be my lodger?

Just let me get my mask and big knife and i'll be right there :eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just let me get my mask and big knife and i'll be right there :eek::D

ok. *trustingly goes into the attic to set spare bed up*
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol

as well as such movies as ET, THE ELEPHANT MAN and such ..... i was googling at LEMON POPSICLE, WHAM BAM THANK YOU SPACEMAN :o and other seminal softcore classics .....

as well as THE DEADLY SPAWN, SPOOKIES, PHANTASM, XTRO and other delightful cinematics .....

all before i was in my teens :D

and it didn't effect me whatsoever .....

*puts on hockeymask*

no siree

*take bottle of chlorophorm*

not in the slightist

*picks up large machete*

not one bit

*throws fake blood over my face*

i'm better now .....

*puts on halloween music on my mp3 player*

well, i'm off out for ..... some ..... walking .....
    i do love some night walking .....

:p
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 11 year old's favourite films are 'Shaun of the Dead' & 'Hot Fuzz' (and some Disney ones and anything by Tim Burton), I know it's more black comedy but still quite messy in places! We looked at the clip for the new film Burke & Hare and she doesn't want to see it because it doesn't have Pegg's 'mate' (sic) (Frost)in it. (probably just as well as it has sexual content) :)

Looking forward to 'Paul' although it doesn't look scary at all.

She has watched 'Saw', well a few of them anyway, she knows it's all smoke & mirrors. :)
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    I wasn't really banned but they didn't encourage it. When I was about 8, my brother and his girlfriend looked after me one night though and we watched this one called When A Stranger Calls... about a teenage babysitter being terrorised by a man whose just murdered a child and is making phone calls from within the house. I didn't sleep for weeks.
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    The Birds is brilliant! I love that film

Isn't it just, one of my favourite Hitchcock movies.
    sofieellis wrote: »
    The Birds is fabulous - can I come round and watch it too? :)

Sure, come 'round, bring a pew. We have 'scary' cup cakes to feast on!
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    Do you mean Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Biirds'?

If so, I guarantee they won't be scared. They'll laugh their socks off. That's if you can get them to stick with it.

Kids today are too sophisticated for old horror.

Yep, Hitchcock's The Birds, it scared the crap out of me when i was a kid. They're both very wussy [my cousins], they had to leave the room when we rented The Corpse Bride, so i'm hoping they'll be a little scared with The Birds, not that i'm evil or anything. Mwahahahaha. :D
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,308
    Forum Member
    Some horror films my kids aged 11 and 12, I let watch. Though the 11 year old is quite sensible and takes herself to bed, if she feels scared by it. Some like recent horror films (which are usually quite crap) or Halloween (original)etc. Some I say a big no to like Argento or Fulci films and of course some are not so much horror but sexual and bad language purposes.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,308
    Forum Member
    I wasn't really banned but they didn't encourage it. When I was about 8, my brother and his girlfriend looked after me one night though and we watched this one called When A Stranger Calls... about a teenage babysitter being terrorised by a man whose just murdered a child and is making phone calls from within the house. I didn't sleep for weeks.

Thats a good one. Did a good remake also and yes my kids watched that one lol
  • CalphurniaCalphurnia Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't automatically follow the age restrictions on dvd's, it depends what it is. For instance, my son watches Harry Potter, even though according to the dvd he is too young (although there's no minimum age at the cinema :confused: )

He's also addicted to Red Dwarf.

OTOH he'll not be watching stuff like Saw etc because I'd never buy that kind of film. I'm even creeped out by the people who watch and enjoy that sort of stuff :eek:
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the divide for me when deciding whether a films ok for my children is whether it's sadistic. I don't like the sadism that's in the slasher horror films. It's kind of nihilistic, stuff hurts and.........?

I've never stopped them watching films that basically end up with the "goodies" being alright. As for supernatural, I actually think it's quite good children get a dose of "more in this world than is dreamt of in your philosophy".

The thing is as there are no ghosts, (or at the very most they have never caused any harm) it's ok for children to be scared of them because it's a good way for them to learn that being scared is summountable and sometimes it's silly to be scared.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I don't really see it as a bad thing because I was into the horror films rated 15 and stuff as young as four, but then again I was especially brave for a kid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I never watched scary films as a kid, but I was reading Tess Gerritsen's very graphic crime thrillers from the age of about 10.

I think a lot of people underestimate what most kids can deal with. Some people see anything even slightly 'not nice' as psychological scarring waiting to happen (I saw some idiot joke that an 8 year old would end up in therapy after watching an Indiana Jones film:sleep:), but that really isn't the case. All kids are different, and some will be able to cope with more than many adults without a second thought.

A lot of kids like being scared, anyway. :D
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't ever put my foot down about what films my kids watch. So far, they're top kids at 15 & 13, I dont believe it harms them. If a youngster goes psycho, it's not because they watched Saw..