Options

Fancying your mates Boyfriend or Girlfriend.

Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone of you DS-ers been in this situation and told your mate how you felt before anything happened between you and the fancied one?

Have any of you told the fancied one and have them reveal that they feel the same?

Have any of you ended up in a long term relationship out of this situation or even married and or had kids.

If so, it would be interesting to hear how you dealt with it all.

Comments

• Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fancy loads of people. Would never act on it though!
  • Options
    Shady123Shady123 Posts: 4,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive got a bit of a long story so im sorry for wasting anybodys time :o

I once went through a phase where i fancied my mates boyfriend. He'd always been a mate since we were little kids but i'd never fancied him. Then when this lad who i didnt like asked me out i said no. He wanted to know why and i didnt really want to hurt his feelings so lied and said i already had a boyfriend. He didnt believe me (dont know why) so when he asked me who i was going out with i just said the first name that popped into my mind and that was Nathan (friends boyfriend). Obviously as soon as i said it, i knew i'd be making trouble for myself as Nathan already had a girlfriend and this was widely known.

I told my friend and Nathan about this and suprisingly they both said that if this lad still didnt believe we were dating then we'd make sure he saw me and Nathan "dating". We did once have to prove this to the lad (so much effort but the boy wouldnt give up. He was adamant that i'd go out with him :confused:) and as we got a bit carried away he kissed me. To Nathan this was just a laugh and to him we were only friends but it actually meant something to me.

The three of us (me, nathan and - to save me from refering to her as nathans girlfriend - Emily; Em for short ;)) all started hanging out together a lot more and gradually i started to "fall" for nathan. I felt really mean for feeling the way i did because Em was one of my closest friends so i tried distancing myself from Nathan but he kept asking to meet up with him and Em and some other mates so i couldnt really avoid him all that much.

Now, Em kept telling me how great a boyfriend Nathan was and that she loved him and stuff and that actually upset a bit but obviously i didnt show that on the outisde. Eventually at a house party (which Em didnt attend) i couldnt pretend anymore and told Nathan that i really liked him and even though i knew it was pointless me telling him this i just had to get it off my chest. To my surprise Nathan told me that he'd really been enjoying spending time with me lately and it reminded him of when we were kids. He also admitted that even though he really cared about Em, he just didnt feel like the relationship was what he wanted. He said he was thinking of dumping her so i tried to persuade him not to as she really loved him and he would break her heart. He eventually agreed he was being silly and said he wouldnt dump her.

We continued to spend time together (in groups) for a few weeks and one week we were supposed to be meeting up at the local park. I thought it was going to be me, Nathan, Em and one of Nathans mates but when i turned up it was just Nathan. He told me he'd once again contemplated splitting up with Em and said his reason for this was because he liked somebody else. Me not realising he was talking about me started having a go at him saying he needed to make up his mind about what he wanted and cheesy as it is (:o) he said he wanted me. I was totally shocked as i thought he only ever saw me as a mate and nothing more.

I was slightly torn at this point because he liked me and i liked him but i knew that if we acted on this then that would bring an end to mine and Em's friendship. In the end i told Nathan if anything was to happen then he'd have to end it with Em and nothing could happen until she was totally over him. This happened. He broke up with her (in the kindest way possible i add) and she was broken hearted. Obviously when she came to me for comfort i felt like a right bitch :( As we realised that Em was nowhere near close to getting over the break up, me and Nathan agreed to keep the relationship between the 2 of us and no one else.

This plan worked for a little while until Em spotted us walking down the street with his arm wrapped round me and when she saw him kiss me, any thoughts she had of us dating were confirmed. She then confronted us about our relationship and lets just say some very nasty and bitchy comments were made (we were teenage girls) and we were as good as enemies for a very long time.

Anyway; me and Em have now forgiven each other for the nasty things we said/did and we are now good friends again :) And to conclude this story, me and Nathan are still together and have been for the last 3 years :D

Im very very sorry for being so descriptive and detailed. :o and yes i suppose i am a man stealing bitch, but as long as were all happy then thats all that matters :D Oh and sorry if i sounded all sappy :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking about it I've never fancied a mates girl before.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I once borrowed a friend's fiance. He then dumped her for me, which was interesting...

When I was young, a million years ago - I often fancied my friend's boyfriends - and the thing was, I always knew I could get them, too. But only really acted on it once and even then it wasn't to take her boyfriend, just we were very drawn to eachother, and the fiancee bit was - unfortunate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Shady123 wrote: »

I once went through a phase where i fancied my mates boyfriend. He'd always been a mate since we were little kids but i'd never fancied him. Then when this lad who i didnt like asked me out i said no. He wanted to know why and i didnt really want to hurt his feelings so lied and said i already had a boyfriend. He didnt believe me (dont know why) so when he asked me who i was going out with i just said the first name that popped into my mind and that was Nathan (friends boyfriend). Obviously as soon as i said it, i knew i'd be making trouble for myself as Nathan already had a girlfriend and this was widely known.

I told my friend and Nathan about this and suprisingly they both said that if this lad still didnt believe we were dating then we'd make sure he saw me and Nathan "dating". We did once have to prove this to the lad (so much effort but the boy wouldnt give up. He was adamant that i'd go out with him :confused:) and as we got a bit carried away he kissed me. To Nathan this was just a laugh and to him we were only friends but it actually meant something to me.

The three of us (me, nathan and - to save me from refering to her as nathans girlfriend - Emily; Em for short ;)) all started hanging out together a lot more and gradually i started to "fall" for nathan. I felt really mean for feeling the way i did because Em was one of my closest friends so i tried distancing myself from Nathan but he kept asking to meet up with him and Em and some other mates so i couldnt really avoid him all that much.

Now, Em kept telling me how great a boyfriend Nathan was and that she loved him and stuff and that actually upset a bit but obviously i didnt show that on the outisde. Eventually at a house party (which Em didnt attend) i couldnt pretend anymore and told Nathan that i really liked him and even though i knew it was pointless me telling him this i just had to get it off my chest. To my surprise Nathan told me that he'd really been enjoying spending time with me lately and it reminded him of when we were kids. He also admitted that even though he really cared about Em, he just didnt feel like the relationship was what he wanted. He said he was thinking of dumping her so i tried to persuade him not to as she really loved him and he would break her heart. He eventually agreed he was being silly and said he wouldnt dump her.

We continued to spend time together (in groups) for a few weeks and one week we were supposed to be meeting up at the local park. I thought it was going to be me, Nathan, Em and one of Nathans mates but when i turned up it was just Nathan. He told me he'd once again contemplated splitting up with Em and said his reason for this was because he liked somebody else. Me not realising he was talking about me started having a go at him saying he needed to make up his mind about what he wanted and cheesy as it is (:o) he said he wanted me. I was totally shocked as i thought he only ever saw me as a mate and nothing more.

I was slightly torn at this point because he liked me and i liked him but i knew that if we acted on this then that would bring an end to mine and Em's friendship. In the end i told Nathan if anything was to happen then he'd have to end it with Em and nothing could happen until she was totally over him. This happened. He broke up with her (in the kindest way possible i add) and she was broken hearted. Obviously when she came to me for comfort i felt like a right bitch. As we realised that Em was nowhere near close to getting over the break up, me and Nathan agreed to keep the relationship between the 2 of us and no one else.

This plan worked for a little while until Em spotted us walking down the street with his arm wrapped round me and when she saw him kiss me, any thoughts she had of us dating were confirmed. She then confronted us about our relationship and lets just say some very nasty and bitchy comments were made (we were teenage girls) and we were as good as enemies for a very long time.

Anyway; me and Em have now forgiven each other for the nasty things we said/did and we are now good friends again :) And to conclude this story, me and Nathan are still together and have been for the last 3 years :D

Im very very sorry for being so descriptive and detailed. :o and yes i suppose i am a man stealing bitch, but as long as were all happy then thats all that matters :D Oh and sorry if i sounded all sappy :o

cool story bro :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *HB* wrote: »
    cool story bro :)

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was slightly torn at this point because he liked me and i liked him but i knew that if we acted on this then that would bring an end to mine and Em's friendship. In the end i told Nathan if anything was to happen then he'd have to end it with Em and nothing could happen until she was totally over him. This happened. He broke up with her (in the kindest way possible i add) and she was broken hearted. Obviously when she came to me for comfort i felt like a right bitch :( As we realised that Em was nowhere near close to getting over the break up, me and Nathan agreed to keep the relationship between the 2 of us and no one else.

You had feelings for him so that's not so bad. It's when it's out of jealousy that it show's people up for the not so nice people that they claim to be. We can't help who we fall for but we do have choices on how we deal with things.

So how did you and Em manage to salvage the friendship?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You had feelings for him so that's not so bad. It's when it's out of jealousy that it show's people up for the not so nice people that they claim to be. We can't help who we fall for but we do have choices on how we deal with things.

So how did you and Em manage to salvage the friendship?

Hello :) bit of a late reply but oh well :o

We salvaged our friendship very gradually. There were times when she walk past me and make a sly comment like "man stealing bitch" or "****, ****, slag" pretty bitchy names. Admitadly as much as I tried to ignore it (I was the one who caused all the problems) there were times when I gave it back twice as bad :o eventually over time we just gave up with the nastiness and just ignored each other. Then we started talking again but only general chit chat. And when I found out who she fancied I put a word in with him (he asked her out). She was over the moon and we put our differences aside and made up :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello :) bit of a late reply but oh well :o

We salvaged our friendship very gradually. There were times when she walk past me and make a sly comment like "man stealing bitch" or "****, ****, slag" pretty bitchy names. Admitadly as much as I tried to ignore it (I was the one who caused all the problems) there were times when I gave it back twice as bad :o eventually over time we just gave up with the nastiness and just ignored each other. Then we started talking again but only general chit chat. And when I found out who she fancied I put a word in with him (he asked her out). She was over the moon and we put our differences aside and made up :)
    So you fell out over a fella and made up over a fella.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you fell out over a fella and made up over a fella.

Strangely yes lol :):o men eh :rolleyes:
    young love and all that :rolleyes: ;)
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Copied, pasted and e-mailed to Take a Break. That £1000 will be mine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    Copied, pasted and e-mailed to Take a Break. That £1000 will be mine.

Glad I could help you ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, and the feelings were mutual but never acted upon out of some misplaced moral compass. After being repeatedly stabbed in the back by so-called friends I kind of wish I knew then what I know now :)

Dont fancy any of my mates girls now, they're all like sisters to me.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member

If i were the friend who you stole a boyfriend off (or whatever you did, only skimmed the story) Then you would be getting a pretty hard slap, wouldn't suprise me if you have had one already!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member

Even though you say you didn't want to hurt your friends feelings you still met up with the guy and continued to talk about how you both had feelings for each other behind your so called mates back.

Even though it has turned out well, I hope your friend smacked both you and your guy in the mouth after seeing you together?
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    1foxi wrote: »
    Even though you say you didn't want to hurt your friends feelings you still met up with the guy and continued to talk about how you both had feelings for each other behind your so called mates back.

Even though it has turned out well, I hope your friend smacked both you and your guy in the mouth after seeing you together?

That was kind of my point above as well:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    That was kind of my point above as well:D

haha oops, didn't see that. My bad :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a smack round the chops is worth it, if it's true love.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a smack round the chops is worth it, if it's true love.

Oh dear god the shame of this thread :o:o:o

Oddly she didn't slap me but she did slap him

*let's thread disappear into obscurity again*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly all my mates are guys... I don't fancy their girlfriends, so it's never been a problem :)
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had minor crushes on a couple of friends' boyfriends in the past, but I never ever did anything about it.

Sisters before misters :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone of you DS-ers been in this situation and told your mate how you felt before anything happened between you and the fancied one?

Have any of you told the fancied one and have them reveal that they feel the same?

Have any of you ended up in a long term relationship out of this situation or even married and or had kids.

If so, it would be interesting to hear how you dealt with it all.

Why would you do that??? :confused:
    Why not just decide not to act on it because it's your mates boyfriend, girlfriend, fiance etc etc...

Theres nothing wrong with fancying anyone, but COME ON! Unless your a complete **** or have a peronality dissorder of some kind you have the capablity of self control surely. No?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Why would you do that??? :confused:
    Why not just decide not to act on it because it's your mates boyfriend, girlfriend, fiance etc etc...
    Decide not to act? Yes, it would be great if we always did the right thing but sometimes, feelings get in the way of thinking correctly.
    Theres nothing wrong with fancying anyone, but COME ON! Unless your a complete **** or have a peronality dissorder of some kind you have the capablity of self control surely. No?
    Yeah right, the only people that ever act on their feelings are **** or have a personality disorder. As I said earlier, you can't help who you fall for. It would be great if we always did the right thing, didn't eat too much, didn't lie or didn't vote for the wrong political party but it's called being human and humans are prone to doing things which don't always please others.

Nobody owns anyone. If your best friends mate tells you that they fancy you, it's up to you what you do with that info. If the feelings aren't returned in any way on any level then nothing will come of it.

Life is not always black and white
  • Options
    DJPTDJPT Posts: 4,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm in this situation at the moment. I fancy my mate's girlfriend, we're quite close too - but I'd never act on it, at least not until she's single.

Plenty more fish and all that though hey!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJPT wrote: »
    I'm in this situation at the moment. I fancy my mate's girlfriend, we're quite close too - but I'd never act on it, at least not until she's single.

Plenty more fish and all that though hey!
    Until you get them out your system, the other fish will just be someone you go through the motions with