Lidl

Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A friend was telling me that their salmon and mince pies have won awards. Are these made up awards or is the food worth a try?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidl reviews and awards.

Mince pie reviews.

I haven't tried their mince pies, but their smoked salmon (if that's what you meant) is lovely.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our local Lidl is so filthy I wouldn't buy anything there whether it had awards or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I've no idea about awards, but I can say that we make a specific trip to Lidl for their smoked salmon, far superior to any other supermarket stuff.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also go there for their german meats. Plus there cola is about as close to coke that I have had anywhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    You can get award winning food in lots of shops, even Iceland win industry awards. Lidl may be cheap, but their food is often good quality, especially the stuff they import from the continent.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    The Lidl in Stanmore used to make my skin crawl, it was so grubby. I think I only went in 2 or 3 times in 11 years I lived there and usually only because I needed cheap food for parties etc.

The Lidl in Fort Willian is clean, bright and a pleasure to shop in, with really good quality veg much cheaper than Morrisons. The Irn Bru is also cheaper than Macro.
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Their stollen is excellent and have had a half side of salmon from there also lobsters, great stuff! Don't knock it until you've tried it ;)
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have their coleslaw and potato salad in the fridge now. The potato salad has won the Good Housekeeping Institute award and it's delicious. The stuff in the delicatessen ranges are amazingly good - so many different types of cold meats, cheeses and pickles. Definitely worth a visit.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I like their chocolate. :D They also often sell my favourite pizza for just £1.
    Forum Member
    We have their coleslaw and potato salad in the fridge now. The potato salad has won the Good Housekeeping Institute award and it's delicious. The stuff in the delicatessen ranges are amazingly good - so many different types of cold meats, cheeses and pickles. Definitely worth a visit.

Lots of seaside landladies buy all their food there :D
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Our local Lidl is so filthy I wouldn't buy anything there whether it had awards or not.

You can get crabs in our Lidl :D
    Think there's eight small ones in the packet.