MIA Being an Idiot

2»

Comments

• mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M.I.A. grew up on the Phipps Bridge Estate in the Mitcham...thats about 5 or 10 mins walk away from the tandem centre in Colliers Wood that got looted and burnt.
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also people are forgetting that she has seen worse atrocities during her very young childhood in Sri Lanka, so this probably does seem fairly trivial to her.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I love how people are trying to excuse her on account of them allegedly being jokes as if even if that were true it's fine. I'll say it again, she now lives in what i assume to be some luxury in LA with her very rich fiance, meaning whatever terrible deeds are being perpetrated in London will have absolutely no physical effect on her.

Maybe if there were LA riots and her cosy lifestyle was rudely interrupted by mask wearing morons and she still chose to make similar comments I would have more time for her but do you honestly think she would see it in such a lighthearted way?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I love how people are trying to excuse her on account of them allegedly being jokes as if even if that were true it's fine. I'll say it again, she now lives in what i assume to be some luxury in LA with her very rich fiance, meaning whatever terrible deeds are being perpetrated in London will have absolutely no physical effect on her.

Maybe if there were LA riots and her cosy lifestyle was rudely interrupted by mask wearing morons and she still chose to make similar comments I would have more time for her but do you honestly think she would see it in such a lighthearted way?

Yes, I do.

She witnessed genocide as a child. I can only imagine your shock threshold would be rather high after that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    MIA being an idiot? Must be a Tuesday.
    Forum Member
    Ulfgeirr wrote: »
    Yes, I do.

She witnessed genocide as a child. I can only imagine your shock threshold would be rather high after that.

So if some masked rioters raided her LA home and set fire to it she'd wouldn't think much about it because she witnessed genocide as a child? In fact, she'd dish out Mars bars and tea to the afore-mentioned rioters? Okkaayy....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if some masked rioters raided her LA home and set fire to it she'd wouldn't think much about it because she witnessed genocide as a child? In fact, she'd dish out Mars bars and tea to the afore-mentioned rioters? Okkaayy....

If it reached such extremity I'd imagine she would take a different stance, but she's just being herself. She hasn't explicitly stated her stance on this issue so we can't really comment but it seems to me that she was trying to lighten the mood.

She might not realise the extent, either; I didn't until last night. The cause of the first riots in Tottenham was something she'd fight for as she isn't a fan of authority.

Of course this is only speculation as I'm not her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you not read above you?

She grew up in this. Although we might think her opinions are shit, she has a better idea than the majority of people what happens.
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah don't know what she's done but I must say I love her music tbh. :P
    Forum Member
    ben_122 wrote: »
    Did you not read above you?

She grew up in this. Although we might think her opinions are shit, she has a better idea than the majority of people what happens.

And did you not actually read my post that you quoted? You haven't answered the question posed, I see. :rolleyes: I don't doubt she grew up there but she certainly got out, didn't she? If she was so committed to the cause she would still be living in the middle of it, don't you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And did you not actually read my post that you quoted? You haven't answered the question posed, I see. :rolleyes: I don't doubt she grew up there but she certainly got out, didn't she? If she was so committed to the cause she would still be living in the middle of it, don't you think?

She left when she was nine because her mother wanted to escape. Her aim is to raise awareness of the issue in the western world, where it is often overlooked.
    Forum Member
    Ulfgeirr wrote: »
    She left when she was nine because her mother wanted to escape. Her aim is to raise awareness of the issue in the western world, where it is often overlooked.

I was talking about London....:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What? You think everyone who's been through things like that, aren't committed unless they live there? Do you not think the majority of people living in places like Mitcham would leave if they could?

As a side note, she moved from Mitcham to Bed-Stuy :eek: Talk about one extreme to the other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was talking about London....:D

Oh... :o:D
    Forum Member
    Contrasting artists, contrasting ways of looking at things but, interestingly, this one was actually born and bred in Tottenham and still lives in the city even though she's a self made multi-millionairess. .

These recent events were obviously on Adele's mind, and as she opened the concert with a solo voice and piano rendition of Hometown Glory, standing by her lonesome in the middle of the stage, one could only read the lyrics to the closing song on her debut album 19 in a slightly different light.

"I have to sing this one for my hometown," she said. "London is under attack by a bunch of idiots."

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Adele+return+stage+little+bittersweet/5232553/story.html