Options

Why has Comic Relief teamed up with an online bingo website?

CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
Forum Member
✭✭
just saw the advert for this, and whilst I know the Comic Relief has MANY commercial partners, is it right for it to team up with a gambling website, given the damaging effects gambling can have on people and society.

Comic Relief of course being founded in 1985 by the comedy scriptwriter Richard Curtis and comedian Lenny Henry in response to famine in Ethiopia, its main supporters are the BBC, BT and Sainsbury's.

So whilst this is not a BBC Charity, it is strongly associated with the BBC.

Comments

• Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are donating money why not?

Don't see a problem with it myself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    If they are donating money why not?

Don't see a problem with it myself
    so Comic Relief should share some of the good will, the brand has built up, by making a gambling website, look charitable?
  • Options
    spoonsspoons Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    so Comic Relief should share some of the good will, the brand has built up, by making a gambling website, look charitable?

Or a supermarket or a building society or a fast food restaurant. Gambling is not illegal so what is your problem are you one of those religious nutters?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spoons wrote: »
    Or a supermarket or a building society or a fast food restaurant. Gambling is not illegal so what is your problem are you one of those religious nutters?
    it is not at all common for people to become addicted to supermarkets (apart from Middle Class people in the Daily Mail, who shop at Waitrose) Gambling on the other hand, is a genuine addiction, the problems associated with it, I should not need to spell out on this thread.

I am not a religious nutter, I just think it sends out the wrong message about both Comic Relief and Gambling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree with you in principle, but I'd also suggest the online Bingo is a mild form of gambling. This is due to the slow paced nature and because you can't buy-in during the game. It could well be the introduction to a gambling habit, but by itself, it's not compulsive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About as acceptable as teaming up with a brewery or tabacco company.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dapa wrote: »
    I'd agree with you in principle, but I'd also suggest the online Bingo is a mild form of gambling..
    true its mild, but so are many things we do, that lead to other things.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gambling in any form has a duty to promote repsonsible gambling and is encouraged to assit in charities that help gambling addicts, I would say they are following their brief from the Gambling Commission correctly. If its Foxy Bingo you are speaking of they have run special promotions for Comic Relief for the past few years .
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most charities and 'good causes' are happy to take money from the National Lottery which is just another form of gambling.

If mugs want to gamble their money then I cannot see any harm in using some of it for a charitable purpose rather than just lining the pockets of bookmakers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Gambling in any form has a duty to promote repsonsible gambling and is encouraged to assit in charities that help gambling addicts, I would say they are following their brief from the Gambling Commission correctly.
    yes and once up on a time, the food industry had to a duty to promote responsible labelling.
    skp20040 wrote: »
    If its Foxy Bingo you are speaking of they have run special promotions for Comic Relief for the past few years
    I dont think it was, but if that is the case, I was not aware of this, until this year.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingo, by whatever name or branding, seems an unlikely bedfellow for Comic Relief though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its clear, that my objection is not to anyone brand partnering with Comic Relief, over another.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is not at all common for people to become addicted to supermarkets (apart from Middle Class people in the Daily Mail, who shop at Waitrose)
    What a puzzling thing to say.

Do you really believe that middle class Daily Mail readers who shop at Waitrose become addicted to supermarkets? What does that even mean?
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same reason they have a 'partnership' deal with Sainsbury's in the words of Jessie J "It's all about the money, money, money!" ;)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I suppose there are two ways of looking at it.

Gambling is bad m'kay... so Comic Relief shouldn't be partenering with a business that can ruin people's lives.

Gambling is bad m'kay... so Comic Relief should be getting money off these business that wreck lives to try to help those people out.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't they have a partnership with Camelot? Now it is Jackpotjoy.