Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strewth wrote: »
    Is there any feedback or photos from Port Isaac this week?

Two people have commented on twitter. One saw CC in PI (and didn't take any pictures! :confused:) and the other saw JA filming yesterday.
    No details though. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Hello Blue-eyes,
    I'm so glad you updated us about Millie. I was just wondering about her the other day. Two and 1/2 years old almost, and Look at all she can do now. That is Fantastic! I'm sure I can speak for all of us in continuing to hope for the best for Millie. :):):)

Thank you Renee

We are just taking one day at a time and making the most of every tiny milestone Millie reaches
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eileen0103 wrote: »
    Could she have started to "develop/shown" an interest at the harbor day in the first episode when she was dressed as a pirate?

Full on flirting...

Oh yes, I think so ;)
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Full on flirting...

Oh yes, I think so ;)

I think the moment was even earlier -- when he examined her eye outside the interview room.

There's a good French expression coup de foudre, meaning "strike of lightning." Or, as in Godfather II, when Michael Corleone sees Appolonia: "un colpo di fulmine."

I think it was mutual and immediate. (But then, I seem to be a hopeless romantic.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madmother wrote: »
    Two people have commented on twitter. One saw CC in PI (and didn't take any pictures! :confused:) and the other saw JA filming yesterday.
    No details though. :(

Seems rather slow compared to last season's shooting at this time, doesn't it? Right off the bat we had the pictures of DM and the baby, e.g.

Madmother, do you know if SimplyRed is going down sometime this month?
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmptrader wrote: »
    Thanks all great moments. Absolutely no wasted film in this episode. One of my faves of all the series. Love it!

I agree - this is probably my favorite episode. There is so much going on - a lot of comedy & sweetness through the whole episode. I love how sweetly Martin offered to drive them home and then asking if he could stay the night. Carrying Louisa's purse, retrieving the keys, putting them back and zipping it up. The coffee cup in the fridge was funny and quietly sweet. Taking the baby from sleeping Louisa and carrying him all over town (nice bonding time for them). The Martin/Louisa conversation about his first impressions of Dr Dibbs was the nice normal "couple" conversation we have been waiting for. And three hilarious moments for me: 1. Going down the line of patients in the chemists and disapproving/approving their prescriptions (very funny but also showed he knew his patients well and still felt responsible for their care). 2. The examination in the public restroom (so funny, but at the same time so professional of him to give Joe the important exam that he is not able to get from the new doc while carrying a 1 day old newborn, in a dirty public restroom, no gloves, etc.) 3. The diagnosis of Louisa's "problem" in the grocers.

And there was so much more - the list of 35 moments just goes to prove it. An amazingly well written and directed episode that was jam packed with goodness.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think the moment was even earlier -- when he examined her eye outside the interview room.

There's a good French expression coup de foudre, meaning "strike of lightning." Or, as in Godfather II, when Michael Corleone sees Appolonia: "un colpo di fulmine."

I think it was mutual and immediate. (But then, I seem to be a hopeless romantic.)

I agree. When he looked at her eye outside the interview, after she had learned who he had been in London, she found the tall, strong, dependable, capable, competent man she could rely on to take care of her, and he felt an immediate physical attraction that required him to get the first of many "glimpses" of her when she walked off, and he walked into the door. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems rather slow compared to last season's shooting at this time, doesn't it? Right off the bat we had the pictures of DM and the baby, e.g.

Madmother, do you know if SimplyRed is going down sometime this month?

Do you think that they planned to start with a lot of indoor filming at the farm because of the cold winter and spring they have been having? I suspect the long term forecasts showed that these first few weeks would still be pretty cold. (They don't have that stupid groundhog who now has a bounty on his head!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I agree. When he looked at her eye outside the interview, after she had learned who he had been in London, she found the tall, strong, dependable, capable, competent man she could rely on to take care of her, and he felt an immediate physical attraction that required him to get the first of many "glimpses" of her when she walked off, and he walked into the door. :)

And the unexpected touch of that big gentle hand on her face had to send a jolt through her. (damn - there's no "mmmmmmmmm" smily)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Martin and Louisa love theme music plays only once, about thirty minutes in, when he looks at her sleeping on the couch -- and very muted. As I remember, we don't hear it again until the last episode, in the scene where she shows up to ask him to take the baby next day, and then it's not muted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same thing happened to me when I saw The Doc...

Not sure it was mutual though...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Hi All :) Haven't been on here for a long while now, but I'm really pleased they're filming series 6. I really did think S5 would be the last....But I was wrong :D:D

Can't wait to see some filming photos. Crikey it's been two years!! :eek:
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmptrader wrote: »
    Yes, agree. LG is in a great mood, which we don't see very often when she's around him from now on. Then the first glimpse of her being defensive when he walks away.

After viewing that scene again more carefully, I thought it was very funny (the trumpet startling him) and DM was loosy goosey even cracking the joke. Not very uptight at all. He even used a profane (sort of) word. Also he's looks young and so does LG.

I agree about DM and LG looking younger, and while I realize that episode1, series 1 was filmed in 2004 and that is 7 years real time from the series 5 we last saw,
    I always wonder how much is
    a) just them, or
    b) their fitness level,
    c) camera angle,
    d) make-up,
    e) their acting, etc.
    Sometimes the Doc looks so different just even from one part of an episode to another.
    I suppose my answer is
    x) all of the above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlooSky wrote: »
    Hi All :) Haven't been on here for a long while now, but I'm really pleased they're filming series 6. I really did think S5 would be the last....But I was wrong :D:D

Can't wait to see some filming photos. Crikey it's been two years!! :eek:

Welcome back, BlooSky, nice to meet you!
    Oh, and doesn't it feel good to be wrong this time.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    And the unexpected touch of that big gentle hand on her face had to send a jolt through her. (damn - there's no "mmmmmmmmm" smily)

There is such an intimacy with touching a person's head or face, isn't there! I've noticed it is used sparingly but to great effect throughout the series.
  • Options
    kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Do you think that they planned to start with a lot of indoor filming at the farm because of the cold winter and spring they have been having? I suspect the long term forecasts showed that these first few weeks would still be pretty cold. (They don't have that stupid groundhog who now has a bounty on his head!)

Filming interiors at Delabole School yesterday, taking advantage of the school being closed while the kids are on their Easter break. :)
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    Filming interiors at Delabole School yesterday, taking advantage of the school being closed while the kids are on their Easter break. :)

Wonder who is minding JH. Didn't ElINor leave for warmer climate near the end of S5? Is it as cold in Delabole as it is here in New Jersey? I can count on one hand where the temperature went over 50 degrees Fahrenheit since January and so many days with a cold wind blowing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about DM and LG looking younger, and while I realize that episode1, series 1 was filmed in 2004 and that is 7 years real time from the series 5 we last saw,
    a) just them, or
    b) their fitness level,
    c) camera angle,
    d) make-up,
    e) their acting, etc.
    Sometimes the Doc looks so different just even from one part of an episode to another.
    I suppose my answer is
    x) all of the above.

I think that MC is a bit more weathered looking -- after all, he's apparently spent large portions of the intervening 7 years working on his farm and riding his horses. But, I hasten to add, no less attractive for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    :D
    Great list, contents of which I found brilliant, also. And I might add:
    16. The opening scene of him looking at the baby and the "I'll drive you, if you like" said ever so softly and giving her the choice.
    17. DM: "But it's different now that it's here." LG: "Is it, Martin." DM: "Yes."
    18. Loved him getting the keys out of her purse, later replacing them and zipping it. (a practical thing, but an intimate one, too, going into a lady's handbag)
    19. LG: "...co-sleep in bed with their parents, ...or parent."
    20. Al hustling villagers away from Louisa's door, sensing Doc has had enough.
    21. Love the quiet talk about research re mothering and then Doc observing Louisa putting her tea cup in fridge and getting ready to drink out of the milk carton but Doc quietly switches it for her.
    22. Must admit Joe has a great bod in the shower scene. Whew!
    23. Mrs. T: "You Came Back!"
    24. Doc using a baby diaper on the wound.
    25. DM: "Short, fat, asthmatic." LG & BL: Mike Chubb!
    26. Dr. Dibbs: "Receptionist." Mr. Dibbs: "Practice manager."
    27. Bert and Doc's good-bye scene seemed odd to me.
    28. Enjoyed the symbolism of Doc taking in the death of AJ, and then his focus goes right to the baby who's mewling. (death/life-birth)
    29. Doc's discomfort with Mrs. T. gushing over the baby outside of grocery.
    30. Mike Chubb's show title line and sage advice: "Preserve the romance."
    31. Dr. Dibbs: didn't know whether to feel sorry for her because of her pushy husband or whether she was just silly for going along with him. Either way, the performance by Joanna Scanlan was top-notch and I didn't realize until now how gifted she is with a pliable face as well as MC.
    32. My heart melted (why is that?) when Doc takes the baby off the sleeping Louisa. Something so kind, so gentle, so practical of him to do. Then he's off all over the place with the baby, without a second thought, just as though that's the way it has always been. Doesn't seem to fear anything re taking care of the baby, despite his initial protestation that "I'm not very good with babies." from the birth scene.
    33. Doc to Buddy in trunk: "Get out."
    34. Mrs. T smelling the baby.
    35. Doc's look as Louisa goes in the kitchen to feed the baby in the last scene. And Louisa's for that matter. Something's changed. They are softer with each other most of the time in this episode.

Chock full episode is right. It is hard to leave anything out. And it seems all the actors' acting couldn't have been more brilliant!

Really really enjoyed reading both your lists. :D
    29. Doc's discomfort with Mrs. T. gushing over the baby outside of grocery.
    DM was probably also remembering the yellow MARTIN sweater and the stranglehold Mrs. T had on him. Louisa didn't look too happy with the gushing Sally T either.

One more addition for me would be the light blue pajamas. :)
    I was pleasantly surprised to see they finally had the Doc out of his suit - a lot........didn't you all ask for this? ;) No?
    In their night clothes, getting in and out of bed, performing their daily routines together felt intimate to me. I am expecting more from S6 but this felt right for S5.
    (S1's nightime attire was a bit sloppy for the more uptight DM, and the grey robe was blah.)

Louisa's reaction to AJ's passing:
    I think the scene was right on. I would have to make that judgement call from my own experience of being an introvert with strong personal space. Upon learning of the death of a close family member is to immediately enter another dimension. You don't really hear what people are saying. Touch means nothing. It's not an emptiness, it's just another place. He did touch JH but that was just instinctive. Even if Louisa had touched or hugged him, he would not have felt it at that moment in time. He was ready for it the next day at the funeral.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    a) just them, or
    b) their fitness level,
    c) camera angle,
    d) make-up,
    e) their acting, etc.
    I suppose my answer is
    x) all of the above.

I would just like to say that no one would ever call him funny looking in the optimal nutritional dinner scene :p The hair and makeup people did a primo job. I generally go for the character actors instead of the leading men types but he was just so scrumptious in that scene.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kernow, Any photos or more details?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That makes too much sense :D
  • Options
    Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Don't forget that MC may not have his license back yet and that would make them do more interior shooting along with the weather there.
  • Options
    kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Kernow, Any photos or more details?

'Fraid not. Apparently not even parents of the kids they were using as extras got to see any of the filming. I understand it was the Portwenn School play, other than that I've heard nothing.
    Did someone ask if it was cold here? It's been pretty chilly for the last two or three weeks, but forecast says turning milder by the week-end hopefully..
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Fraid not. Apparently not even parents of the kids they were using as extras got to see any of the filming. I understand it was the Portwenn School play, other than that I've heard nothing.
    Did someone ask if it was cold here? It's been pretty chilly for the last two or three weeks, but forecast says turning milder by the week-end hopefully..

Thanks Kernow! What do you bet there's a medical emergency that interupts the proceedings?
This discussion has been closed.