Tiger mauled zoo keeper

2»

Comments

• Jill_FanJill_Fan Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is all so tragic. It is my local zoo and only a couple of months ago I visited and remember Sarah putting the meat at the top of the poles in the tiger enclosure. I didn't know her at all but it's hit me hard that she lived in my town and was doing something she loved so much. I don't think it was suicide at all. Her passion was animals and I don't think for a second she would have wanted to kill herself, but obviously I don't know as I didn't know her. I don't like David Gill at all, never have done and he doesn't come across well in these interviews at all.
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..You simply cannot tame a Tiger the way you do a Dog, these animals are built to kill and when you handle them you must handle them with the most utmost respect & the knowledge that they can turn on you in less than a split second.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott Cheg wrote: »
    Awful story, the police are saying now that there might have been a human or mechanical error which allowed the Tiger into the workers section of the compound. The tiger then dragged this poor lass into the tigers area and mauled her.

The zoo owner has said she unbolted three bolts and walked in by herself, and she ignored protocol. It goes against what the police are saying, I hope the police find out what happened so it can be prevented from reoccurring.

I know this zoo we visit it at least twice a year we also know the owner of the zoo he is very safety conscious. The tigers are kept in an enclosure with three security gates each has to be unlocked in turn to enter the actual tiger enclosure. Before anyone enters even the first gate the tigers are called into their holding room, and electronically locked in. The police said last night that it was possibly an electronic failure that brought the tiger into contact with the zoo keeper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should have done. He seemed more interested in deflecting blame from himself than finding out what really happened. The proper response would have been sympathy for the family and that he would fully cooperate with an investigation. Not immediately laying blame on the girl.

I have met David the owner of this zoo, his love for the animals and staff knows no bounds he didn't sound like he was trying to cover his back when I heard him speaking on TV he simply stated they have rigorous safety protocols. if the tiger did get into an area where it shouldn't have been (ie the staff area) then I suspect it will almost certainly an electronic lock failure or human error.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the impression that the zoo owner had been hounded into giving an interview and did what he needed to do (protect his zoo)

'Tis the nature of the beast when we live in a society that demands instant answers and explanations.

I thought it all sounded odd to begin with.

My mind was working overtime though as I got the impression it was out of hours and the zoo keeper had let herself and a friend in [whilst possibly tipsy - to show off?] and things got out of hand?? My bad!!
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't the zoo owner been in the news various times before? I'm sure the name rings a bell.

That poor woman though :(
  • Jack_FlowersJack_Flowers Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    RIP lets not forget a girl has died
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill_Fan wrote: »
    This is all so tragic. It is my local zoo and only a couple of months ago I visited and remember Sarah putting the meat at the top of the poles in the tiger enclosure. I didn't know her at all but it's hit me hard that she lived in my town and was doing something she loved so much. I don't think it was suicide at all. Her passion was animals and I don't think for a second she would have wanted to kill herself, but obviously I don't know as I didn't know her. I don't like David Gill at all, never have done and he doesn't come across well in these interviews at all.

I don't like David Gill at all, never have done

This seems a little unfair he must be feeling pretty awful at the moment, David Gill has been a conservationist particularly of the Sumatran Tigers, whatever people think this man has basically saved this tiger from extinction. I have heard people criticise this zoo before for keeping them in a cage but without this work (and similar work being done all over the world) people complain and judge when animals are allowed to go extinct they say "someone should have done something about that" when they do something and there is a mistake made and someone dies they are called careless or murderer. This young woman died doing the thing she loved most in the world. I am very sad for her and her family but I am proud to have connections to this Wildlife park, I am sure her family are very proud that their daughter did such important work all the staff there do a wonderful job and have made a real difference to the lives of not only the animals but the people of Sumatra. This Wildlife Park has brought animals to the Lake District and allowed many hundreds of thousands of people to experience the wonder of these big cats and all the other creatures at this zoo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Cumbria tiger death caused by 'human error' - Dalton animal park statement

Last updated at 17:23, Monday, 27 May 2013

THE death of a Barrow zookeeper who was attacked by a tiger at South Lakes Wild Animal Park at Dalton in Cumbria was due to "human error", the animal park said in a statement this afternoon (Monday).

Sarah McClay, 24, from Dowie Close, Barrow, died after she was attacked on Friday.

Today South Lakes Wild Animal Park released the following statement: "Our first wish is that Sarah’s family and friends are respected and given the peace and space that they need in this time of mourning.

"To us Sarah was a bubbly, active and passionate professional in our close knit zoo family.

"Her talks on the conservation of the animals under her care were without doubt full of belief and passion to make a difference.

"Her ability with younger children was a particular joy to behold as she took great pride in having the chance to influence the thoughts of young minds towards looking after the environment and the wildlife all around us.

"As well as the big cats her real passion was Red Squirrel Conservation and had recently been deeply involved when we set up the South Lakes Red Squirrel Group to act locally to bring the community together in the mission to bring the Squirrels back to the local environment.

"In the time she was with us she showed a great aptitude towards birds and was working with them at the zoo until she requested a move to the Big cats and Carnivore section of the park. Straight away you could feel the love she had for the cats and she was trained and showed professional competence at an early stage before become lead keeper on the section in recent months.

"This tragic accident has come as a deep shock to all the staff and we are all doing our best to come to terms with this awful incident.

"We are not here to make the judgements on any outcome of Police/Coroner and or HSE Investigations and do not presume to do so.

"We are assisting the investigations fully with everything we have available to do so. It is vital that if lessons are to be learned from this incident we are open to understanding the cause.

"We stand by the initial investigations conclusions of an error of judgement and failing to comply with set protocols. However we are also fully aware that the full details of this event have been clarified somewhat in the recent hours from having all witness statements put together and a clearer picture painted of the events .

"We concur with the recently released Police statement who are acting for the Coroner in compiling the evidence in accepting that Sarah was in the Keeper work area at the time of the incident this area is 5 feet wide and 20 feet long , the door of the Tiger den was wide open and the slides to the outdoor area left open. This allowed the tiger to enter the housing and sadly attack Sarah as she was right by the den door. It is now clear that Sarah did enter the tiger den at some point to clean the den by opening the door but the exact circumstances of how the slides to the outside enclosure were left open is unclear. It is protocol not to open any door of a den until ALL slides are confirmed closed and padlocked and all animals confirmed not in the dens and secured in the outer area.. For some reason this did not happen resulting in this tragedy. At the time of the incident it was not thought there was any reason that day to enter the Tiger facility hence previous versions of events.

"We are convinced that this was not anything but an accident caused by human error. The two horizontal slides and the den door were in full working order at that time and this has been documented by the Police at the scene at the time. We do not have any electronic mechanisms. All locks and radios were all working perfectly. These are documented facts.

"This procedure that was being undertaken has been performed without any issues in the 17 year history of big cats at the zoo.

"The public were never in danger and the park was given the all clear to re open within hours of the incident once mechanical and procedural issues were checked for failure by the local authority and the Police investigations team. As nothing was found to be wrong with these aspects no danger to the staff and public was seen and we were allowed to re open to the public the next morning.

"It is not our place to make the final conclusion and the Police will conclude the full investigation on behalf of the Coroner within the next days and we shall assist all we can.

"We wish to conclude by stating that Sarah was one of our family here, she was talented and special ur sincere and heartfelt condolences go to her family."