Options

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Jilted John - yay - but I hope the complaints don't start rolling in! :rolleyes:

Maybe from people called Gordon?
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Hopefully not - we couldn't do with more TOTP scandal! :(

Last year had more than enough bad press - atleast things seem to be dying down now!
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    I bet theres a few for Sue & Lulu from us blokes?

I prefer my women to have a bit of meat on the bones so I'm more of a Gill and Rosie fanboy :o
  • Options
    punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noel's last appearance in the TOTP studio next week.

Was Noel still presenting the breakfast show on Radio 1 in 1978 or had he moved on by then? I remember his Sunday morning show from circa 1979/80 but can't remember when he scaled down his DJing commitments from five to one day a week.

(Fondly remember Noel's Sunday morning show and his banter with Brian Perkins - probably the smartest show on Radio 1 at that time even if he did inflict Captain Beaky on the world :eek:).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Was Noel still presenting the breakfast show on Radio 1 in 1978 or had he moved on by then? I remember his Sunday morning show from circa 1979/80 but can't remember when he scaled down his DJing commitments from five to one day a week.

(Fondly remember Noel's Sunday morning show and his banter with Brian Perkins - probably the smartest show on Radio 1 at that time even if he did inflict Captain Beaky on the world :eek:).

I think Noel's last breakfast show was in May 78, after which DLT took over. So Noel had already started doing his Sunday show at the point where we are now with the TOTP re-runs.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    ClareB wrote: »
    According to TV Cream the edition was 24 minutes long that week because of the Commonwealth Games. Nothing's been edited out.

Also explains the sheer amount of trails played before last night's show.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, we've really been shortchanged - losing 2 shows and last night's being so short - even shorter for me, as the fast forward button was quickly hit at the first sight of Floyd's Hawaiian shirt!
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before but 1978 was a very extraordinary year of one hit wonders (and I mean by it's strictest definition down the years, i.e one chart hit whether that be top 50 or 75 and nothing else).

In the chart of the Kid Jensen show we've just seen for example in the top 30 chart rundown were:

Justin Hayward - Forever Autumn (only solo hit not including Moody Blues)
    Goldie - Making Up Again
    Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper
    San Jose - Argentine Melody
    Saturday Night Band - Come On Dance Dance
    James Galway - Annie's Song
    A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie
    Clout - Substitute

In the rest of the of the top 75 were previous or future one hit wonders:
    Jackson Browne - Stay
    Renaissance - Northern Lights
    John Paul Young - Love Is In The Air

Added to this in 1978 would be:
    Gordon Giltrap - Heartsong
    The Imperials - Who's Gonna Love Me
    Scott Fitzgerald & Yvonne Keeley - If I Had Words
    Althia & Donna - Uptown Top Ranking
    Terry Wogan - Floral Dance
    Rich Kids - Rich Kids
    Samantha Sang - Emotions
    Dan Hill - Sometimes When We Touch
    Brian & Michael - Matchstalk Men etc
    Andy Cameron - Ally's Tartan Army
    Michael Zager Band - Let's All Chant
    Richard Myhill - It Takes Two To Tango
    Richard Denton & Martin Cook - Theme From Hong Kong Beat
    Rafaella Carra - Do It Do It Again
    Co-Co - Bad Old Days
    Izhar Cohen & Alpha Beta - A Ba Ni Bi
    Guy Marks - Loving You Has Made Me Bananas
    Jilted John - Jilted John
    Hylda Baker & Arthur Mullard - You're The One That I Want
    Streetband - Toast
    Musique - In The Bush

You could also add to this list tracks such as Sine - Just Let Me Do My Thing, Player - Baby Come Back which just missed the top 30 but had a lot of airplay at the time.

Granted there are a few novelty records in there but that seems a staggering amount. It would be interesting to see if any other year in the UK charts golden era had as many. This would not include the modern day charts where one hit wonders are ten a penny.

The BIBs - Musique and Sine are less one-hit wonders than it might at first appear ... both are fronts for prolific disco producer Patrick Adams - also known as the co-writer of Cathy Dennis' debut solo hit, 'Touch Me' (originally a minor hit in 1984 for Fonda Rae).
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Sat down to view it at 7.27pm tonight.....at 7.28pm a power cut! Power back on at 8.01pm. Seriously you could not make it up. So I've just watched the later edition. What a short episode that was for a full length TOTP. I made that no longer than 26 minutes maximum. :(

Yet another show with two of the best tracks being used as simply the start and end credits song. Particularly odd for Commodores I felt, as it crashed into the 40 at number five that week with a bang. It didn't seem suited as an outro tune at all to me.

A TOTP with not a single actual duff track this week, but as it was so short I guess it was easier. Given 45 minutes they'd have surely fitted a couple in!

The Rezillos couldn't lose naming that track Top Of The Pops could they. It got them the opening slot too. Catchy little number. She looked very new wave. But they didn't exactly amount to much in the end did they. "Can't Stand The Rezillos" must have been the overwhelming verdict! :p

Foreigner, great track. We missed their debut UK hit a few months ago I think. I really hate these grainy clips like this with Foreigner, just like with A Taste Of Honey last week, which do not show off the song, or group in the best way. I suppose they looked equally poor quality clips in 1978 too.

What connects Foreigner to Olivia Newton-John pop pickers? Answers on a postcard to Rich Tea @ Top Of The Pops, BBC TV Centre, London, W1 8QT. :cool:

Jilted John never fails to amuse. Like his other alter ego John Shuttleworth and his Bontempi organ. I owned one of those as a boy in 1978 by the way! During that performance I am assuming that Gordon was meant to be the chap in the white vest with "I Taught John Travolta To Dance" emblazoned. In that case, why was "Gordon" singing about himself being a moron at one point! :confused:

I mentioned last week that I thought Raydio sounded like a sample of Saturday Nite by Earth, Wind & Fire, and Servalan gave me a good response. Tonight I thought it sounded very similar to another track, something by KC & The Sunshine Band.

Goodbye Floyd, you won't be missed! Thanks to Robbie for posting the link to the genuine No1 clip. It just goes to show how diminished TOTP has been during the run of You're The One That I Want without having been able, or willing, to show the proper version of things. That Grease Shake Shack clip is as memorable and stunning as the Floyd and Legs & Co clip is tedious and dull. Olivia in that stunning black outfit! Hard to believe it is just a short year ago since we saw the same person doing the song Sam. That is officially a pop light year!

Peter Powell in 1978 was wearing an almost identical shirt to me tonight as I watched! That was amusing. Not sure if that says more about him in 1978 or me in 2013? I think more about Powell, who I always liked a lot and always seemed a trendy and enthusiastic young thing way back, and ahead of his time, certainly in 1977 /1978 on TOTP from today's perspective.

Finally, I cannot believe it has been mentioned that next week is Noel's final proper show, in just August 1978. I thought he went on for years later than this. Certainly as has been mentioned, he was one of the hosts on the May 1983, 1000th edition, I recall it very well indeed, as others here clearly do. Good job Savile never showed up for the 750th birthday cake! :)

BIB - I know what you mean, and I think the similarity is between the chorus of 'Is This A Love Thing?' and the outro of KC & The Sunshine Band's 1975 classic 'Get Down Tonight' (the bit where they're singing 'Get down, get down, get down, get down, get down tonight ...') - ignore the lyrics and check out the melodies ... spookily similar! ;)
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    So have two episodes been missed? Im sure its explained somewhere earlier in this forum but rather than trawling through can someone explain why two episodes have been missed? I am guessing Saville and DLT introduced them. In the last episode John and Olivia were six weeks at number one. Now suddenly its the ninth and final week and a lot of singles in the top ten are now way down near the end of the top 30. And surely this is an August chart isnt it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John and Olivia were number one on the following shows
    15/6
    22/6
    29/6
    6/7
    13/7
    20/7 (not shown)
    27/7 (not shown)
    3/8 (this week's show)
    10/8
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    ClareB wrote: »
    John and Olivia were number one on the following shows
    15/6
    22/6
    29/6
    6/7
    13/7
    20/7 (not shown)
    27/7 (not shown)
    3/8 (this week's show)
    10/8

Are you sure this is not the 10/8 show that is on this week? I say that because Three Times A Lady is a new entry at number 5 and the following week it climbs to number one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aoplogies, it was the 10th that was shown this week. Just glad it's the final week!
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    15/6 and 29/6 were not shown either.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Foreigner/Olivia Newton John connection, Rich Tea?

Olivia's "Physical" kept Foreigner's "Waiting For A Girl Like You" off the top of the US charts for many weeks (they were at number 1 and 2 for about 8 or 9 weeks?) in '82.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    I never get tired of You're the One that i want. Its just a perfect pop single with perfect vocals. Wouldnt be the same with any other combo but them. Summer Nights next..!
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Foreigner/Olivia Newton John connection, Rich Tea?

Olivia's "Physical" kept Foreigner's "Waiting For A Girl Like You" off the top of the US charts for many weeks (they were at number 1 and 2 for about 8 or 9 weeks?) in '82.

Well done Hound Of Love! :cool:

Yes, just over 3 years later, Olivia Newton-John would have an even longer No1 single than her one's in the UK with John Travolta. Stateside her solo song Physical was No1 for 10 weeks, and for every single one of those 10 weeks, the No2 was indeed Foreigner's Waiting For A Girl Like You, from November 1981 to January 1982.

(By the way Hound Of Love, there was a topic "I Hit My Head And Now I Think It's 1985" a few days ago that I posted on, responding to a comment of yours. Your Brookie memory, which I tried to outdo! No idea if you saw it.) ;)
  • Options
    gotaethelinesgotaethelines Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I remember watching TOTP clearly back in 1978, and I recall seeing the John and Olivia clip from the film loads more times than I'm seeing it in these re-runs, even allowing for the episodes they're not showing. Am I missing something??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    SgtRock wrote: »
    750? So how many of them were erased?
    Off the top of my head I'd say 500.

I'd estimate it's a few more than that. Of the first 500 which is up to October 1973, only about 20 survive.

After that, up to the start of 1976 (which is when the wholesale wipings stopped) only another 22 survive. 15 wiped in 1976 and 4 in 1977, the last on 8th September. I'd say it's in the region of 580
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    BIB - I know what you mean, and I think the similarity is between the chorus of 'Is This A Love Thing?' and the outro of KC & The Sunshine Band's 1975 classic 'Get Down Tonight' (the bit where they're singing 'Get down, get down, get down, get down, get down tonight ...') - ignore the lyrics and check out the melodies ... spookily similar! ;)

That's the one Servalan. You have confirmed my own thinking by naming it. Also, more evidence of what you told me about certain riffs being used on quite a few tracks. Never heard this particular Raydio track before, but a second listen this week and it kicked in for me as one to add to the collection!

I forgot the Bob Dylan song, Baby Stop Crying in my comments overnight. How could I? Firstly, I'm not a fan of Bob Dylan, know very little of his music and try to avoid it if possible. So I'd never before heard this 1978 hit single for him, which to my surprise I quite liked, even with the Legs & Co routine to it. On the face of it this would appear to have been a surprising hit single for him I guess. In the past 40 odd years it's been the albums with Dylan, not the singles that sell in the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I remember watching TOTP clearly back in 1978, and I recall seeing the John and Olivia clip from the film loads more times than I'm seeing it in these re-runs, even allowing for the episodes they're not showing. Am I missing something??
    See a couple of pages back in the thread. It basically transpires that it would cost the BBC £2000 per time to show the video which equates to £6000 taking in the late night repeat and iPlayer showing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd estimate it's a few more than that. Of the first 500 which is up to October 1973, only about 20 survive.

After that, up to the start of 1976 (which is when the wholesale wipings stopped) only another 22 survive. 15 wiped in 1976 and 4 in 1977, the last on 8th September. I'd say it's in the region of 580

I wonder if it is worth giving the estate of the late Bob Monkhouse a call. :confused:

Sound odd me saying this? Well let me explain.

Did anyone see the documentary about his life, and especially his home and all his collections? He was a great hoarder it seems. But more interestingly than that, he was one of the first people in the UK to own an early and very expensive video cassette recorder, which he used to keep endlessly recording TV shows day in day out, for years apparently. Sometimes even videoing on more than one channel at a time, with separate video recorders. He had / has I believe 50,000 VHS tapes of TV footage! Not sure when he exactly began videoing all this TV, but as there were only 3 main TV channels at the time, he must surely have snared a good few editions of TOTP maybe? I wonder if his collection contains any missing gems?
  • Options
    gotaethelinesgotaethelines Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    See a couple of pages back in the thread. It basically transpires that it would cost the BBC £2000 per time to show the video which equates to £6000 taking in the late night repeat and iPlayer showing.

Ta for that 'gifted'.....you're not Barry John, are you:D
  • Options
    Groovester01Groovester01 Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Sat down to view it at 7.27pm tonight.....at 7.28pm a power cut! Power back on at 8.01pm. Seriously you could not make it up. So I've just watched the later edition. What a short episode that was for a full length TOTP. I made that no longer than 26 minutes maximum. :(

Yet another show with two of the best tracks being used as simply the start and end credits song. Particularly odd for Commodores I felt, as it crashed into the 40 at number five that week with a bang. It didn't seem suited as an outro tune at all to me.

A TOTP with not a single actual duff track this week, but as it was so short I guess it was easier. Given 45 minutes they'd have surely fitted a couple in!

The Rezillos couldn't lose naming that track Top Of The Pops could they. It got them the opening slot too. Catchy little number. She looked very new wave. But they didn't exactly amount to much in the end did they. "Can't Stand The Rezillos" must have been the overwhelming verdict! :p

Foreigner, great track. We missed their debut UK hit a few months ago I think. I really hate these grainy clips like this with Foreigner, just like with A Taste Of Honey last week, which do not show off the song, or group in the best way. I suppose they looked equally poor quality clips in 1978 too.

What connects Foreigner to Olivia Newton-John pop pickers? Answers on a postcard to Rich Tea @ Top Of The Pops, BBC TV Centre, London, W1 8QT. :cool:

Jilted John never fails to amuse. Like his other alter ego John Shuttleworth and his Bontempi organ. I owned one of those as a boy in 1978 by the way! During that performance I am assuming that Gordon was meant to be the chap in the white vest with "I Taught John Travolta To Dance" emblazoned. In that case, why was "Gordon" singing about himself being a moron at one point! :confused:

I mentioned last week that I thought Raydio sounded like a sample of Saturday Nite by Earth, Wind & Fire, and Servalan gave me a good response. Tonight I thought it sounded very similar to another track, something by KC & The Sunshine Band.

Goodbye Floyd, you won't be missed! Thanks to Robbie for posting the link to the genuine No1 clip. It just goes to show how diminished TOTP has been during the run of You're The One That I Want without having been able, or willing, to show the proper version of things. That Grease Shake Shack clip is as memorable and stunning as the Floyd and Legs & Co clip is tedious and dull. Olivia in that stunning black outfit! Hard to believe it is just a short year ago since we saw the same person doing the song Sam. That is officially a pop light year!

Peter Powell in 1978 was wearing an almost identical shirt to me tonight as I watched! That was amusing. Not sure if that says more about him in 1978 or me in 2013? I think more about Powell, who I always liked a lot and always seemed a trendy and enthusiastic young thing way back, and ahead of his time, certainly in 1977 /1978 on TOTP from today's perspective.

Finally, I cannot believe it has been mentioned that next week is Noel's final proper show, in just August 1978. I thought he went on for years later than this. Certainly as has been mentioned, he was one of the hosts on the May 1983, 1000th edition, I recall it very well indeed, as others here clearly do. Good job Savile never showed up for the 750th birthday cake! :)

It's gonna be strange not seeing our Floyd & his literal interpretation of his 'chills multiplying' and him 'losing control' :D His moves to this song actually did make me laff week in week out!
    Look forward to his far superior routine with girls to '(You make me feel) Mighty Real' by Sylvester later in the year! By their standards it's actually pretty good! Great track too!!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15/6 and 29/6 were not shown either.

Oh yeah, I forgot that because I have UK Gold recordings.

Going back to the Grease rights thing again, I was watching the TOTP Xmas special from 1991 today and they featured a short clip of Summer Nights with the Grease Megamix being a hit that year, so I'm guessing the BBC did have the rights around that time. I wish there was a site where you could find out when certain films were shown on UK TV and what year. I remember Grease being shown one bonfire night back in the 80s and would love to know if that was first time it was ever shown.
This discussion has been closed.