Options

Any advice for new turf? feed etc.

sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have just replaced the paved and shrubby garden with a new turfed lawn ( the thing looks huge now with no trees).
Not being the best gardeners in the world, we have been told to water it ,but do we feed it yet? Surely no need for weed stuff for a while as it is new, Any garden advice welcome:)

Comments

• Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Water should be enough, you want the roots to grow into the soil. Also make sure any gaps that are present, or appear, between adjacent turf pieces are filled in with sand/soil or the edges will dry out and die.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Water should be enough, you want the roots to grow into the soil. Also make sure any gaps that are present, or appear, between adjacent turf pieces are filled in with sand/soil or the edges will dry out and die.

Thanks for that, the seams appear to to be joining up. If they don't would you put grass seed in?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We re-turfed our back garden about 7 weeks ago, still some gaps and patches (due to weather and stupid bloody cat), so just seeded all over, it'll recover, just make sure it gets a good soaking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We re-turfed our back garden about 7 weeks ago, still some gaps and patches (due to weather and stupid bloody cat), so just seeded all over, it'll recover, just make sure it gets a good soaking.

Cheers,cat comment made me laugh.:D, husband is paranoid about his new lawn so good to know we can fill in any gaps with seed.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    It's very late in the season for new turf, but what you need to do is water every day (you can do it every other day after the first week if you want, see how it goes) at about 11am to give the grass time to dry before nightfall. Also you shouldn't walk on the grass for at least 3 weeks. You don't need to feed the lawn and don't worry about the gaps as they will disappear after a couple of weeks.

When the lawn has knitted to the soil below you might be able to walk on it briefly but best give it a while to bed in, otherwise the surface won't stay uniformly level.

You need to use a rotating sprinkler similar to this Rehau and allow about 20 mins per area before moving to a new area. Each area should be well and truly soaked before you move it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolbank-REH247208-Adjustable-Rotating-Sprinkler/dp/B000C74WR8/ref=sr_1_18?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1378146479&sr=1-18&keywords=lawn+sprinklers

Sorry, I edited my post as I wasn't expecting to be quoted so quickly!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    It's very late in the season for new turf, but what you need to do is water every day (you can do it every other day after the first week if you want, see how it goes) at about 11am to give the grass time to dry before nightfall. Also you shouldn't walk on the grass for at least 3 weeks. You don't need to feed the lawn and don't worry about the gaps as they will disappear after a couple of weeks.

When the lawn has knitted to the soil below you might be able to walk on it briefly but best give it a while to bed in.

You need to use a rotating sprinkler similar to this Rehau and allow about 20 mins per area before moving to a new area. Each area should be well and truly soaked before you move it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolbank-REH247208-Adjustable-Rotating-Sprinkler/dp/B000C74WR8/ref=sr_1_18?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1378146479&sr=1-18&keywords=lawn+sprinklers

Aye that's what we used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rather than re-edit I forgot to write that you shouldn't mow the lawn for several weeks and when you do don't cut the grass right down on the first cut but set the mower cutting height midway...and collect the clippings in the mower's grass box.

In case you're wondering, the reason you need to mow mid-morning to let the lawn dry before night is that if it is continually soggy then this will encourage moss, which you defo don't want. Obviously if it rains hard all night then you can forgo watering. What you are trying to achieve is a lawn that never dries out and constant steady growth.

You'll have to hope that you don't get any frosty nights before the turf strips becomes a proper lawn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than re-edit I forgot to write that you shouldn't mow the lawn for several weeks and when you do don't cut the grass right down on the first cut but set the mower cutting height midway...and collect the clippings in the mower's grass box.

Thanks, we have the joy of lawnmower shopping next, this is husbands new project as a retiree. I liked the trees and the birds myself.He is partly disabled , so muggins will be doing the mowing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't believe it. That's twice I've been caught out with my editing! Re the lawnmower I'd advise taking out a trial sub to Which? for a £1. You can access the online Which where there's some really comprehensive mower reviews and helpful guides to the types of mowers and how to mow, how to care for the lawn and choosing the right mower depending on how big the lawn is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe it. That's twice I've been caught out with my editing! Re the lawnmower I'd advise taking out a trial sub to Which? for a £1. You can access the online Which where there's some really comprehensive mower reviews and helpful guides to the types of mowers and how to mow, how to care for the lawn and choosing the right mower depending on how big the lawn is.

Thanks again for the help, I will look at those. I think I need the collecting type.
  • Options
    timewarpbunnytimewarpbunny Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I had new turf at the end of June and it looks amazing now. I watered it (with a sprinkler) in the morning, made sure it was soaked right through, and then again in the evening, but that was when we had the really dry weather. I've mowed it twice since, the first was 10 days ago and the last was Friday. I'll do it once a week now. I have no joins or patches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't worry about buying a mower with a grass box. They all have one, but some of the 2 piece plastic ones are a nightmare to assemble. If you buy an electric mower watch out for the design of the hand grips as I get cramp with mine as one of them constantly needs to be pressed otherwise the motor cuts out.

Look at Amazon customer reviews in conjunction with Which customer views to find out the hard to assemble boxes and other pitfalls. A problem with Which is that the testing is good but they don't take into account the consumer actually using the product. For example I bought a Miele Allervac upright hoover as Which said it was fantastic at cleaning. It is fantastic and really quiet, but unfortunately it weighs a ton and will fall over if you're not careful when you pull the hose out.

I wish now I hadn't bought the upright and got a Miele cylinder hoover instead. Sorry to go off-topic, just trying to be helpful. Better to know problems before you buy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to rejig an old thread. Update being hubby was back in hospital , so no mowing or mower even bought. Lawn is looking lovely and green thanks to all the rain!.
    Now I want to get off my bum a bit and sort it. It is flowering, so I reckon just leave it ? It must have taken root, but I am surprised at flowers this late in the year. Hopefully it will sort the baldy bits.
    It's about an inch or so long ,so is it best left now until spring?

Maybe a DS gardening forum would be good, I know it's meant to be a show business place,but Gardener's World went on for years.:p
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunstone wrote: »
    Sorry to rejig an old thread. Update being hubby was back in hospital , so no mowing or mower even bought. Lawn is looking lovely and green thanks to all the rain!.
    Now I want to get off my bum a bit and sort it. It is flowering, so I reckon just leave it ? It must have taken root, but I am surprised at flowers this late in the year. Hopefully it will sort the baldy bits.
    It's about an inch or so long ,so is it best left now until spring?

Maybe a DS gardening forum would be good, I know it's meant to be a show business place,but Gardener's World went on for years.:p
    What flowers have you got on your lawn?

I suggest you borrow a mower if you haven't bought one because you should mow your lawn now. This warm damp weather that we are having now will make the grass grow and you will end up with an unmanageable jungle.