Worst lines in 'Nu Who' ?

Comments

• Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'm one of the nice ones"

"I don't want to go" (second time. Poor Dave actually looked embarrassed saying it)

"Gallifrey falls no more... what do you suppose it means?" "That... that *cough* *splutter* Gallifrey didn't fall!" No. ****ing. Shit.

On that note:

90% of Rory's exposition. The poor guy, as the inessential second companion, got most of the exposition aimed at the dim-witted. My favourite example: "That's an Apollo astronaut... coming out of the lake!" No. ****ing. Shit.
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »
    'This is Martha and I'm bringing you back to Earth' from 'The Sontaran Strategem' remains the worst for me. Real 'cringe-behind-the-cushion' stuff...
    The exchange between Nine, Rose and Jack in Boom Town: "And off we go! Into time! AND SPACE!" Saved only by Mickey's highly appropriate reaction. Shame it's a family show, he could have told the smug gits to "shut the **** up".

Both of these came straight to mind for me.

I'd also add Wilfred's line from Turn Left: "Oh my god...the stars are going out!" Not the line itself, but it's delivered unusually badly by Cribbins...sounds so wooden and unconvincing.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    The exchange between Nine, Rose and Jack in Boom Town: "And off we go! Into time! AND SPACE!" Saved only by Mickey's highly appropriate reaction. Shame it's a family show, he could have told the smug gits to "shut the **** up".

Oh yes, I always hated that bit. A terrible scene from a poor episode.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Disagree with people who don't like the 'underhenge' speech. I love the part before he get's all dramatic when you here an off camera bit of feedback from the microphone and the Doctor saying "Whoops. Sorry. Dropped it." Pure Eleven.

You're not alone, I love it too! One of those moments that I'll watch, then immediately rewind to watch again.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    You're not alone, I love it too! One of those moments that I'll watch, then immediately rewind to watch again.

Me to. Utterly brilliant. Visually as well its a real classic moment. And Eleven played it brilliantly. Rather than the Timelord God posturing of Ten there was a real vulnerability to Elevens speech. He meant it sure. But wasn't too confident. The feedback on the mic. The little aside to Rory at the end. Rather than pure triumph it was all a bit 'wow! That seems to have sort of worked!'. Lovely stuff.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    "I'm one of the nice ones"

Is that from the webisode?
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Capaldi's "My kidneys! The wrong colour!" Not a patch on "I'm a girl!" and "Not ginger!"
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of Victory of the Daleks for me. Especially: "You are everything I despise. The worst thing in all creation. I've defeated you — time and time again, I've defeated you. I sent you back into the void. I've saved the whole of reality from you. I am the Doctor and you are the Daleks!"
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Most of Victory of the Daleks for me. Especially: "You are everything I despise. The worst thing in all creation. I've defeated you — time and time again, I've defeated you. I sent you back into the void. I've saved the whole of reality from you. I am the Doctor and you are the Daleks!"

The Daleks had it worse, I think.

"You will never defeat us, Doctor! We will return!"
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    Is that from the webisode?

Yep. It's just such a bland, simplistic line on paper. The actor could potentially make it work, depending on his delivery, but I don't think McGann knew what to do with it, and kind of went with sincerity... which kept it bland and simplistic.

Someone brought up Victory of the Daleks, which reminds me of more Gattiss goodness: "These are old eyes..." Just trying way too hard to be dramatic.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the worse delivery for me was DT's finale when Rose and Jackie were talking. It really looked like the actress playing Jackie was reading off a card
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chan, but that would be rude, Chan

Anything Cassandra O'Brien said

Anytime Billy Piper used a non chav accent (most of her performance in DOTD)

Most of what human-caan-dalek said

Can the OP start a most touching quote in Nu Who thread pls. I like this thread but don't want to be accused of plagiarism.
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Run you clever boy and remember"

The first time it sounded fine, if a bit cringey

The second time it just sounded forced and weird and very cringey

And for the THIRD time when it was a ****ing PASSWORD it sounded awful! As if anyone would have "Run you clever boy and remember" as a password.

Slightly off topic, in terms of classic series Colin Baker's speech before he strangled Peri was atrociously cringe worthy: "And we all know the fate of ALIENS!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    The line where the Doctor says:

"...Skaro Degradations, the Horde of Travesties, the Nightmare Child, the Could-have-been King with his army of Meanwhiles and Never-weres..."

with the "Could-have-been King with his army of Meanwhiles and Never-weres" being particularly bad. What goofy names for what are supposed to be these terrifying threats.

Anytime River says "Hello, Sweetie" and "Spoilers". Her delivery is just so annoying.

The "Doctor Who...Doctor Who...Doctor Who" in "The Time of the Doctor". So hokey and jarring too as it breaks the 4th wall in order to remind the audience that the show is called "Doctor Who". In fact, I hope the show now gives the whole storyline of the Doctor's name a rest because the whole thing is getting wearisome.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhoFan55 wrote: »

The "Doctor Who...Doctor Who...Doctor Who" in "The Time of the Doctor". So hokey and jarring too as it breaks the 4th wall in order to remind the audience that the show is called "Doctor Who". In fact, I hope the show now gives the whole storyline of the Doctor's name a rest because the whole thing is getting wearisome.

I'm surprised it took 50 years to be a major storyline. :p Still, it's over now. :D
    Forum Member
    Thamwet wrote: »
    "Run you clever boy and remember"

The first time it sounded fine, if a bit cringey

The second time it just sounded forced and weird and very cringey

And for the THIRD time when it was a ****ing PASSWORD it sounded awful! As if anyone would have "Run you clever boy and remember" as a password.

I agree with this. And then the Rose Moment also says "You clever boy" in "The Day of the Doctor". It makes the Doctor seem as if he's 12 years old.
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    I'm surprised it took 50 years to be a major storyline. :p Still, it's over now. :D

I hope so but in a show where Rose keeps coming back and people keep dying and coming back and time keeps getting re-written, I don't assume anything is ever really over. :p
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    "Nobody human has ANYTHING to say to me today"

Horrid bit of Doctor sulking, that speech, and so early on in 11's run it came off as a half hearted 10 impression with none of the panache or conviction of Tennant.
    A rare misfire early in Matt's run but I guess you could put it down to being one of his first days in the role and not quite fully warmed up yet.

"I am the Doctor and YOU are the DALEKS!"

While not quite as bad as this forum was panicing about before it aired, that whole plan to get the Doctor to get angry at the Daleks so the machine would recognise the Daleks was stupid, but you kind of hope the progenitor would have requested a few more goes at that line before it fully recognised it.

"A new Dalek Paradigm is born"

......no it isn't. A new Dalek Paradigm will be ignored because they ended up looking stupid. Activate the back peddling device!

Anything James Corden said in his two dire episodes.
    Particularly not being converted because he loved his baby.
    Yeah, I'm sure that's the first time that's ever happened to the Cybermen when they're converting people, not like they'd ever come up with anything against that.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Most of the TV movie had unspeakably awful lines. Let's just post the quote page because I haven't got time to list them all: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116118/trivia?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu

However, "It was a warm Gallifreyan night" is probably the WORST.
  • alienghostalienghost Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thamwet wrote: »

To be fair, wasn't it meant to be a sort of "Richard Of York Gained Battles In Vain" thing? As in, that's a sentence you can memorise as a way of remembering the colours of the rainbow and what order they come in. I might be misremembering as I haven't seen the episode for a while, but wasn't it that she was given RYCBAR as a password, and just came up with that sentence so it would stick in her mind?

Already been mentioned, but "Doctor who?" over and over again was annoying, and of course "I don't wanna go" from the End Of Time. Speaking of which, I agree all "President Obama's going to end the recession" stuff was daft. I'm no economist, but even I know it doesn't work that way.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Wasn't that more Jackie's ignorance showing though?
  • alienghostalienghost Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it was. It's been even longer since I've seen that episode. I think the Obama scenes in general were quite bad though, it stood out that they couldn't show much of him because whoever it was that played him wouldn't look enough like him. It was kind of pointless anyway, other than for The Master to become him (and everyone else), and it turned out that didn't even have much point to it either. Yeah, I'll just say that The End Of Time isn't one of my favourite episodes. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some lines I can't stand:

"I don't want to go..."
    "Spoilers"
    "Hello, sweetie..."
    "Run you clever boy... and remember"
    "Still not ginger!"
    "Oh my God... I'm a chav!"
  • BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rose's "Not an android... an... ANNE... DROID!" line in "Bad Wolf." Yeah, because we would never have gotten that pun otherwise, right?

Also, any of the lengthy speeches Eleven and Clara gave in "The Rings of Akhaten." They just went on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on...
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all of them. every line is bad. but as i keep saying these are cgi sequence links and not "scripts" ......

the rtd "45 minutes" line supposedly referencing tony blair's iraq weapons claim was particularly bad. also the iplayer plug in time of the doctor. and the really irritating but oft repeated "hey that's techy stuff" from dr who as if he doesnt understand how anything he uses works .......