Mayor of Liverpool asks Cameron to apologise

LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
Forum Member
✭✭
Now it gets interesting........

On Sky News now.......
Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson accepts Ed Milibands apology and makes the following statement.

"My challenge to Ed, as well as David Cameron and Nick Clegg, is to not only apologise to the City of Liverpool but to use their positions and influence to make sure that the Sun truly recognises the extent of the damage and hurt they caused."

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resentment only causes further pain. They should let it go for Pete's sake.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Pretty childish from the mayor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Pretty childish from the mayor

Although he is making political capital using Ed's piss weakness as leverage.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    Now it gets interesting........

On Sky News now.......
    Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson accepts Ed Milibands apology and makes the following statement.

"My challenge to Ed, as well as David Cameron and Nick Clegg, is to not only apologise to the City of Liverpool but to use their positions and influence to make sure that the Sun truly recognises the extent of the damage and hurt they caused."

What in earth does he 'mean use their positions and influence to make sure that the Sun truly recognises the extent of the damage and hurt they caused.' - tell them to go sit in the corner and think about what they've done?

Nobody working there now would have anything to do with what happened at the sun 25 years ago.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Nobody working there now would have anything to do with what happened at the sun 25 years ago.

At least 25 of Liverpool's lord mayors ( between 1700 and 1820 ), were closely involved in the slave trade - but they said sorry in 1999

Personally I don't get it - an apology from someone who had nothing to do with the event just seems meh
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, the Sun apologised in 2004.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

And in 2012:
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2012/sep/13/hillsborough-disaster-sun
    Today we unreservedly apologise to the Hillsborough victims, their families, Liverpool supporters, the city of Liverpool and all our readers for that misjudgment.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Absolutely pathetic.

Who the hell do the people of Liverpool think they are?

By all means consume yourselves in everlasting outrage and bitterness over an event that happened 25 years ago if that's what makes you happy (or miserable), but don't tell people what newspaper they can read or pose with.

I hear a Liverpudlian councillor has resigned over this as well. Absolutely ridiculous.
  • Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really do think some cool headed rationality needs to be applied to this situation. Cameron should tell him to sod off.

The real villain of the piece was Kelvin MacKenzie...and the people of Liverpool appear to have no desire to boycott him or the people he works for.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Why were politicians posing with a 'newspaper' anyway?
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amaretto2 wrote: »
    I really do think some cool headed rationality needs to be applied to this situation. Cameron should tell him to sod off.

The real villain of the piece was Kelvin MacKenzie...and the people of Liverpool appear to have no desire to boycott him or the people he works for.

Who does he work for ?
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

They were promoting the England football team. Personally I think it's a case of " Much ado about nothing"
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Did it have this headline
    We are sorry we lied in 1989 about the deaths of 96 people, but the Tory mp who gave us false information and lied so our beloved government didn't get blame
    because we didn't wasn't people to believe that the government was at fault because our owner
    Conattributed to Tory party, and the Police lied and made false statements as we didn't want people to believe the government was covering up as we all wanted our beloved Maggie to be reelected
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the hell should a Tory prime minister be expected to apologise for causing offence to the people of Liverpool? isn't that their job? and not just to offend the people of Liverpool but anyone north of Watford, I thought it was part of the job description for any leader of the Tory party,
    ;-)
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Absolutely pathetic.

Who the hell do the people of Liverpool think they are?

By all means consume yourselves in everlasting outrage and bitterness over an event that happened 25 years ago if that's what makes you happy (or miserable), but don't tell people what newspaper they can read or pose with.

I hear a Liverpudlian councillor has resigned over this as well. Absolutely ridiculous.

"And a Labour councillor in Liverpool, Martin Cummins, has resigned from the party, suggesting Mr Miliband had "listened to unwise counsel in associating himself, and our party, with this degrading publication".

Was he not aware that Labour and The Sun were best buds for most of their time in government.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't the Sun ask Farage?
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is getting a bit silly, over the years I'm sure other politicians have posed with the sun and an apology hasn't been demanded. It comes across as if the local Liverpool mayor politicians are hijacking the Hillsborough tragedy for their own tawdry ends.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I certainly don't know why Ed was posing with The Sun for. He was criticising Murdoch in a speech he gave to his supporters some time ago.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    "And a Labour councillor in Liverpool, Martin Cummins, has resigned from the party, suggesting Mr Miliband had "listened to unwise counsel in associating himself, and our party, with this degrading publication".

Was he not aware that Labour and The Sun were best buds for most of their time in government.

I seriously doubt that. The Sun is pro right-wing.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Mayor going to apologise for Heysel?
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that. The Sun is pro right-wing.

"Sun turns its back on Labour after 12 years of support"

"Ed Miliband, the climate change secretary, who is co-ordinating Labour's election manifesto, said it would be better for Labour to have the newspaper's backing"

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2009/sep/30/sun-ditches-labour-for-tories
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been wondering this and since they could easily show support for the England team without needing any special editions from anybody my prime suspicion is that they are all trying to get into that particular media group's good books well in advance of the election.

A football and an England flag would have done just as well or even better and would not raise questions over actions that might be seen as attempts to influence the outcome of, or response to, any particular media-related reports/hearings not that any spring to mind of course because the very suggestion of such a thing is completely unthinkable.

I just don't think our glorious leaders (both current and would-be) should be doing something that looks like a blatant endorsement of any particular publication in this way.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

Because Uncle Rupert told them to and like obedient little puppies they did.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Why didn't the Sun ask Farage?

They did. And Johnson too: http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/75505000/jpg/_75505722_camsun.jpg

Didn't you get your free copy?
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool Mafia strikes again.