Getting a second cat

babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've had my cat for two years. She's about five and was a runt. She's got a really funny, obnoxious and demanding personality and is super affectionate. I'm a little in love with her :D

However, she doesn't have a cat flap and I keep her in the house when I'm out at work. I'm a bit worried that she might be bored during the day (although to be honest, I think she just sleeps all day) and I was thinking about getting another cat to keep her company.

Is this a bad idea? I've read somewhere that if you introduce another cat to your house, it can change the personality of your original cat. She's such a lovely cat, and I wouldn't want to upset by bringing in an interloper.

Does anyone have any experience/advice about this?

Comments

• maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll never know until you try. I've had cats in the past who thought the more pals the merrier and others who preferred being the only feline in residence, ( which was just too bad because mine has always been a multicat household.)

I would suggest getting a younger male. My female cats have always been more accepting if the new cat wasn't also female.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure it will work with adult cats. If she'd been brought up with another they would likely be pals, with adults they may grow to be friends, but imho its far more likely they'll merely tolerate each other or actively fight. Cats aren't naturally gregarious and I've read studies that suggest that they are often stressed even if all looks ok to us.
    If you want to keep her amused put more stimulation into her environment - cat trees, plenty of toys, make sure she can see out of all windows. Maybe a bird table she can see (though make sure the birds themselves are safe from cats).
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've introduced numerous cats to the adults in my household. (I live adjacent to what for a time was a popular pet dumping location) and everyone adjusted well enough. It can take patience, but it's doable.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is she with the other local cats?
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone, it's given me some points to think about.

I'm not sure how she is with local cats, but she doesn't seem to like next door's. She sits in my bay window giving him evils, so maybe that doesn't bode too well!