Options

Corrie - does 'buffoon Gail' work?

sloe_ginsloe_gin Posts: 427
Forum Member
Obviously long-term characters have to adapt each decade in order to keep them fresh and able to tell new stories, but does 'buffoon Gail' work? Is making her a menopausal David Brent and a figure of 'cringe comedy' a good move? It just doesn't seem right to me that all of the solid character work of the past 35 / 40 (!) years would be so suddenly over-turned. Were the seeds always there? I seem to recall Gail as one of the most 'normal' characters in the show - sturdy, friendly and fundamentally defined by common-sense, especially in contrast to Audrey who was more flighty.

An interesting contrast here might be Sally Webster, who also went through a major change around 10 years ago from the mousy woman who always made Kevin beans for tea into a contemporary Hyacinth Bucket. However, this was a triumph and genuinely invigorated the character. I assume that the writers are doing a similar thing with Gail but I just feel that the core of her character is being chipped away too much.

Although I'm not sure whether the character of Gail is one of Corrie's all-time greats, I do think that Helen Worth is an incredible actress, probably their best along with Alison King and Jane Danson. Are her talents being wasted in what is effectively her new role?

Comments

• Options
    mushypeasmushypeas Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I think Gail has slowly become more simpering over the last few years but putting her along with Michael has made it even more noticeable.

When you think back to e.g. the rows with Eileen over Sarah/Todd/Jason it highlights how low this character has fallen.
  • Options
    swishbabyswishbaby Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Yes, she works in the Bistro.:p
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swishbaby wrote: »
    Yes, she works in the Bistro.:p

Yeah, fiddling National Insurance Numbers. :p
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did the exact same thing with Deirdre as well. In the 90s and early 00s both Gail and Deirdre were very 'normal'. They were sensible and intelligent women but over the last few years both were gradually turned into dim witted morons who were there to provide comic relief with their stupidity. Sally's also gone through a similar transformation but she's turned in to a snob rather than a buffoon. Sally's character change works very well IMO and has been gradual enough to be believable. Deirdre and Gail's personality transplants never sat right with me when watching old footage of the pair of them now it's hard to believe they're the same people.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    No!! I don't think it does work.

Us oldies remember Gail and her clashes with Ivy Tilsley. She certainly used to tell Ivy where to get off, in no uncertain terms and she was a lot, lot younger then.

I cannot believe that after the dreadful times the character has been through it hadn't hardened her to life and she would not be such a soppy pushover.

She has always been a bit simpery when a new man appears on the scene but it doesn't last long, usually.
  • Options
    emilybemilyb Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they've gone too far with Gail. She does do comedy really well so I don't mind her having a good share of comedy scenes but that seems to be all she is now just comic relief. Even during big dramatic scenes such as Les Dennis discovering "Gavin" was an imposter, Gail was in the background coming up with daft comedy lines.
    When I think back to the Sarah pregnancy s/l & Richard Hillman era, Gail was a really strong character who was a normal woman to whom a few extraordinary things had happened. Going back further to old episodes I've watched from the early 80s Gail is intelligent, friendly & ambitious but down to earth. In her & Brian's marriage she seems to be the brainy one planning for the future & aiming for Brian to run his own garage.
    Now what does she do? Run about simpering over Michael, takes c**p from all her kids & granddaughter, is happy working as a part time cleaner for her son & is a complete moron where men are concerned. If I were Helen Worth I'd be really annoyed at what they'd done to my character. As u say after all these years characters need to evolve in order to stay fresh but why does Gail have to turn into an idiot? Why can't she become a mature student or start her own business? But no I forgot no one in corrieland is allowed to be clever or better them self (expect for Ken). I mean look at Sarah, she's supposed to have been intelligent enough to hold down a senior job in fashion for several years in Milan. Five minutes back in Weatherfield & she's turned into a complete bimbo simpering over a drug dealer.
    I agree with Sally's change as well, after having Rosie & Sophie she'd become really boring. She went far too OTT at one point being obsessed with Rosie becoming a success but she seems to have calmed down slightly now. Sally is a comedy character but she still has ambition & displays some intelligence.
  • Options
    jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Within their partnership, they seemed to have switched the characters of Gail and Audrey.

Much has already been said of Gail, the majority of which I agree with. On the Audrey topic, I always thought she was at her best as the selfish, flighty, insensitive social-climber that she was. In the early days, it was like Gail took on the 'mother' role, trying to keep the unpredictable Audrey in line. However, they've really softened the latter now and, although she is advancing in years, I think its a shame because Sue Nicholls, for me, does great comedy...but not nearly enough these days.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jiroos wrote: »
    They seemed to have switched the characters of Gail and Audrey.

Much has already been said of Gail, the majority of which I agree with. On the Audrey topic, I always thought she was at her best as the selfish, flighty, insensitive character she was. In the early days, it was like Gail took on the 'mother' role, trying to keep the unpredictable Audrey in line. However, they've really softened the latter now and, although she is advancing in years, I think its a shame because Sue Nicholls, for me, does great comedy...but not nearly enough these days.

That's very true Gail and Audrey have had their personalities swapped to some degree. I remember back when Sarah revealed she was pregnant at 13 Gail was the sensible level headed one who supported Sarah while Audrey was the one who reacted badly and kicked off. Imagine if Bethany got pregnant now you just know that Audrey would be the calm rational one and Gail would be the insensitive one who hits the roof.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    It's absolutely spot on about Gail and Audrey.

Audrey was a proper 'flibbertygibbert' in the early days and Gail was the sensible one.

I think I gave up on Gail when she fell for Lewis's patter. I really didn't think any woman could be that stupid over a man she knew was 'dodgy'.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That "comedy" scene where Gail was drinking tea in Eileen's house was excruciating:(
    Gail was actually acting like a simpleton with saying the most non-sensical crap:confused:
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering who her father was I think it's good they're tapping into her comedic potential
  • Options
    silly sausagesilly sausage Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she really isn't a good comedy actress, which makes her appear more of a buffoon when she tries. Her comedy scenes are always horrible to watch, she overacts and pulls stupid faces instead, it always seems very forced and not at all natural. Sally, on the other hand now free from the shackles of Kevin, and paired with Tim has blossomed and she really can inject humour into her scenes. I just don't rate Helen Worth as a good actress at all, her blinking and simpering every time she gets a man is distracting and horrible, and she also never seems to respect people's personal space. When she does scenes talking to them sitting close, on the settee etc, she pokes her face right into whoever she's talking to. I'd end up punching her. I also don't like her acting around Nick, she always seems lecherous rather than maternal.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting thread.

Gail is a complicated character who has been through many different phases over the years. Let's not forget that in her early days in the 70s she was a 'silly' character. In fact, Gail was created as a 'friend to be silly with' for Tricia Hopkins. It was alongside Suzie Birchall and Elsie Tanner that Gail would flourish as a comedy character, featuring in some of the show's most famous comedy moments in the late 70s. Once she got involved with Brian Tilsley in 1979, life changed for Gail and 20 years of drudgery would follow. She still had a laugh in her at times, but Gail was predominantly Corrie's 'drama' character throughout the 80s and 90s.

The Richard Hillman story in the early 2000s shifted things a bit, bringing some real dark humour to the scenes with Gail finding out about Richard's doings. This, for me, was the character reaching its peak. It combined all aspects of Gail's character that we had seen over the years - her loyalty and love for her children and the cementing of her relationship with Audrey. Unfortunately, I think Gail was the biggest casualty of the Richard Hillman storyline.

Ever since, I have lost interest in Gail. I wasn't interested when she got involved with Joe McIntyre ... actually every post-Hillman romance has not interested me in the slightest.

I rate Helen Worth as an actress and she has provided a strong and loyal service to Coronation Street but sadly I don't think that the production team know who Gail is anymore. I feel that this is true of a number of other long-standing characters, particularly some of the women (Deirdre, Liz, Eileen). A couple of times the production team have toyed with edging Gail towards behaving like her mother-in-law Ivy and part of me wishes that this vein would be followed more. She has a strong network of characters around her and is very well-positioned to be involved in many stories. Gail the character just needs some TLC from the production team.

Sally on the other hand is almost a reversal of Gail. Between 1993 and 2002 the character spent a number of years in the 'character wilderness' when nobody really seemed to know who Sally was. However, I defy anyone who says that her upwardly-mobile nature was a recent creation. You can watch clips from the 80s and early 90s and see that Sally has always seen herself as better than the other residents; she just didn't always have the guts to speak out. As she's grown older she's become more fearless in airing her views. Whoever picked up on this earlier character trait in the early 2000s is a genius.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    emilyb wrote: »
    I think they've gone too far with Gail. She does do comedy really well so I don't mind her having a good share of comedy scenes but that seems to be all she is now just comic relief. Even during big dramatic scenes such as Les Dennis discovering "Gavin" was an imposter, Gail was in the background coming up with daft comedy lines.
    When I think back to the Sarah pregnancy s/l & Richard Hillman era, Gail was a really strong character who was a normal woman to whom a few extraordinary things had happened. Going back further to old episodes I've watched from the early 80s Gail is intelligent, friendly & ambitious but down to earth. In her & Brian's marriage she seems to be the brainy one planning for the future & aiming for Brian to run his own garage.
    Now what does she do? Run about simpering over Michael, takes c**p from all her kids & granddaughter, is happy working as a part time cleaner for her son & is a complete moron where men are concerned. If I were Helen Worth I'd be really annoyed at what they'd done to my character. As u say after all these years characters need to evolve in order to stay fresh but why does Gail have to turn into an idiot? Why can't she become a mature student or start her own business? But no I forgot no one in corrieland is allowed to be clever or better them self (expect for Ken). I mean look at Sarah, she's supposed to have been intelligent enough to hold down a senior job in fashion for several years in Milan. Five minutes back in Weatherfield & she's turned into a complete bimbo simpering over a drug dealer.
    I agree with Sally's change as well, after having Rosie & Sophie she'd become really boring. She went far too OTT at one point being obsessed with Rosie becoming a success but she seems to have calmed down slightly now. Sally is a comedy character but she still has ambition & displays some intelligence.

Totally agree.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    she really isn't a good comedy actress, which makes her appear more of a buffoon when she tries. Her comedy scenes are always horrible to watch, she overacts and pulls stupid faces instead, it always seems very forced and not at all natural. Sally, on the other hand now free from the shackles of Kevin, and paired with Tim has blossomed and she really can inject humour into her scenes. I just don't rate Helen Worth as a good actress at all, her blinking and simpering every time she gets a man is distracting and horrible, and she also never seems to respect people's personal space. When she does scenes talking to them sitting close, on the settee etc, she pokes her face right into whoever she's talking to. I'd end up punching her. I also don't like her acting around Nick, she always seems lecherous rather than maternal.

I agree with all of this. I hate the way Gail flutters her eyelashes and as you've said, pulls stupid faces. It's not coming over as funny, it's ridiculous. She's become a simpering idiot. She's got worse since Michael came along. I wish she'd go on a world wide cruise for 6 months. It's very unlikely she'll be killed off so a cruise will have to do. Either that or she could kill Callum by accident and go to prison for a few months period.
  • Options
    NathanTNathanT Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly what has allowed characters like Gail, Sally and Deirdre their longevity on the show is the fact that as viewers we've watched them grow from young girls with dreams and aspirations to wives and working mothers dealing with the same sort of problems and challenges the real world presents - to the extent that we ´know' these characters almost like real people - the public outpouring of grief over Anne Kirkbride's sad demise really highlighted this.

So yes it is sad to see the regression of Gail under recent production teams. I feel the downward spiral began in the mid/late 2000s when the production team at the time were hell-bent on pushing David as the 'evil' problem child wreaking havoc on his family - and as a consequence Gail was weakened to a point that didn't fit her character development up until then.

I can remember an interview with Helen Worth where, when asked why she felt Gail had lasted so long, she said she felt it was because viewers had watched her go through so much and always come out stronger - unfortunately that would hardly apply now.

Both Gail and Sally are women who've run their own businesses at the same time as bringing up kids and realistically at this time in their lives - with grown up children - they could be out there doing interesting jobs successfully. Yet they've been relegated to the status of cleaner and factory seamstress. Since the Phil Collinson era, it seems like ambition in the more mature woman has only been portayed as a source of comedy - snobbery for Sally and misplaced delusions for Gail.

Helen Worth and Sally Dynevor can certainly do the comedy, but it should be mixed with drama - that was always what made the Street's characters rounded.

I miss the days when we used to see Sally and Gail discussing their lives and their families over a cuppa or a drink - scenes like their recent one discussing what to do with the drugs Gail found which are played solely for laughs take so much depth away from the characters.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie likes to cling on to actors who should have moved on years ago so when they want to introduce a new character, they simply change the personality of one who's already there.
    It's very plot driven so they also have to have characters doing things that are then entirely forgotten about like David's epilepsy, Tracy's kidney transplant or Mike Baldwin's wife who is still missing.
  • Options
    Hanna_YasminHanna_Yasmin Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    I agree with all of this. I hate the way Gail flutters her eyelashes and as you've said, pulls stupid faces. It's not coming over as funny, it's ridiculous. She's become a simpering idiot. She's got worse since Michael came along. I wish she'd go on a world wide cruise for 6 months. It's very unlikely she'll be killed off so a cruise will have to do. Either that or she could kill Callum by accident and go to prison for a few months period.

Back to prison. She's already been in. As I recall, same time as Tracy Barlow.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Gail was actually acting like a simpleton with saying the most non-sensical crap:confused:

That's how she always acts these days. Been too long in the cast and it shows - she no longer cares.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »

As I wrote in another thread,

When will Gail ...

... realise that whispering inaudibly does not add anything to the dramatic quality of any scene.

... realise that pulling faces like a geriatric wizened weasel is even worse!

... realise that fluttering eyelashes like a lovesick 14 yr old just doesn't work for a 64 yr old jobbing actress.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Miss strong Gail. Laying down the law on Sarah and David.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some genuinely quality posts in this thread. :) I don't have much to add RE: Gail. As for Sally, I'm in the minority on here who feel she's being misused. I don't mind her snobbery but that's all there seems to be to her character these days, a problem exacerbated by her relationship with Tim. If she was still with Kevin, who's less comic than Tim without being dull, I feel it might be a better fit for her. As things stand, I mentally switch off during Sally/Tim scenes as it's always the same.
  • Options
    sloe_ginsloe_gin Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    The scene of a shreiking Gale throwing shampoo bottles at Eileen with a bin on her head ... oh my god. This is the absolute nadir of the character of Gail and possibly Corrie. Why does Helen Worth agree to film it?
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The throwing shampoo bottles was so silly.It didn't seem like something that wd really happen. Wasn't there a scene some days back wher someone was throwing stuff at someone else? It's like the writers come to the end of an idea and that's all they can think of doing.It's like a kids programme where they all chuck stuff at someone. It's a tragedy seeing Corrie like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Sally's transformation is completely believable. Even before they turned her into the snob she is now, the seeds have been in place for quite some time. She has always wanted to live on the 'posh' side of the street and sent Rosie to the private school (Oakhill?) around 12-15 years ago, but it has only been the last few years where she has became the character she is now. And I think shes pretty good at it, I love her character at the moment.

Deirdre is also another one that was also believable, she was simply turning into the complete opposite of her mother, probably after years of compensating for her behaviour. And whilst that was going on, she definitely was developing traits of Blanche too.

As for Gail, at times its believable, at times it isn't. Tonight was ridiculous for example, but scenes where she's doing 'normal' things in a comedic way work, e.g. her singing scenes. I also like her character in unintentional comedy scenes when shes putting her foot in it, e.g. when she interrupted the fight between Sally and Anna in the garden to announce that Kylie had given birth. If they made her a little less slapstick, it would come across a lot better and be more relatable to viewers. Everyone knows a 'Sally' and a 'Deirdre', but does anyone really know a 'Gail'?