Options

The Barlows are horrific actors

Comments

• Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always found Ken and Deirdre's serious scenes hilarious tbh. That was what made them so iconic though.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I always found Ken and Deirdre's serious scenes hilarious tbh. That was what made them so iconic though.

Trouble was, in most cases,Deirdre's contribution was meant to be serious. :D
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Bev is terrible

Bev as dreadful. Just the way she was talking about the way Deirdre died and other stuff they did was really weak and at times unbelivable. I guess though it would have been difficult for any actor to reveal her passing, maybe the writers should have had it where Ken gets a phone call from the hospital or a visit from the police to say she had passed away would have been a more effective story.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did a shame count and only Ken and Steve came out of that episode with their heads held high.

The remainder of the cast were atrocious.

Emily's acting was the worst, and Tracy Luv wasn't far behind.
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tracy captured the emotion perfectly and Ken did his bit too. Unlike in Eastenders when Ian was crying like a squealing pig on its way to the slaughter house when he told Phil about Lucy's murder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Of Me wrote: »
    Tracy captured the emotion perfectly and Ken did his bit too. Unlike in Eastenders when Ian was crying like a squealing pig on its way to the slaughter house when he told Phil about Lucy's murder.

BiB ^^^

Had Deirdre still been around to see it she would, perhaps, have finally learned that competent actors can emote!!
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BiB ^^^

Had Deirdre still been around to see it she would, perhaps, have finally learned that competent actors can emote!!

Agreed I was as shocked as anyone to be impressed by Ford. She's definitely had her moments of hammy rubbish, but I though last night she was the most genuine. I truly hope she can turn Tracy around and ensure the Barlows have a long term future at number 1.
  • Options
    RadicalNatureRadicalNature Posts: 5,104
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched CS for about 10 years but I tuned back in for these scenes expecting a raw, emotional tribute.

My god, it was embarrassingly bad. I'm seriously emotional, especially at the moment (I cried at that 'best dad scarf' advert) but it looked as though they were awkwardly improvising...

Tracey's "crying".... in fact her entire reaction seemed so amateur and uncaring that I just sat there scowling trying to understand what was going on!

I'm biased with my love of Emmerdale, but there are some incredible, INcredible!! actors in that cast who do not get enough praise and CS will likely win awards for this garbage...
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Ford was by far the most convincing for me :confused:.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    Shevk wrote: »
    On the other hand, you could say he's not put much effort into honing his craft and his acting muscles are rather stiff after not being stretched in 55 years :D

Exactly, especially when you compare him to Ann Reid who played Valerie Barlow 50 years ago. She has really stretched herself, from dinner ladies, to playing Barbara Cartland, and then the brilliant series, Last Tango in Halifax. While Roach has gone on playing the same dreary character with about two facial expressions all that time, and he hasn't learned a thing. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shevk wrote: »
    On the other hand, you could say he's not put much effort into honing his craft and his acting muscles are rather stiff after not being stretched in 55 years :D

As I wrote further down the thread, he is never "exciting" but he has always been consistent.

Much more consistent than Deirdre ever was, or could have been. Indeed, without his consistency and low key presence Deirdre would have been completely out of her depth, as, indeed, she increasingly became in later years.

It's a sad commentary that a lot of the old-stagers are steadily being outclassed by the newcomers. But, hey, that's life!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    I'd say the episode was rushed. Jonathan Harvey is one of their best scriptwriters, but just think of the things he had to include in what was just over 20 minutes of drama - preparation for Deirdre's homecoming; Bev's return; the news of Deirdre's death; Liz finding out; the Rovers finding out; everyone's reactions; plus having to keep all other storylines some airtime - Sarah/Callum; Eileen/Michael. It was too much, and the reason the episode wasn't moving as what it could have been is that it was impossible for Harvey to make it so. The episode should have been focusing purely on the reactions of those closest to her. The Rovers could have found out at the end of the episode, with reactions of people not so close to her featuring on Friday. Instead, Deidre is being demoted to a secondary storyline tomorrow, and it seems as if Monday's funeral episodes are also been given up for Tracey's latest dramas with Robert's return.

Having said that, what Corrie does so well is the balancing of several storylines, in spite of how important the main storyline is. Makes it a proper 'normal' soap - no matter what one family is dealing with, life goes on in other people's homes. Two-handers, character-centric and family-centric episodes are EastEnders' thing. Problem is, there are too many storylines running to balance at the moment, a lot of them being mediocre.
    EDIT: Just found out there's another episode tonight! Will be interesting to see what they feature tonight then.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    I'd disagree they'll always be the number one family on Coronation street
  • Options
    soapmadsoapmad Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it was just me, but when Liz rang the bell so she could tell them that she had died, it looked like when you looked at the people in the pub it looked like they already knew by the look on their faces . (I know that cast members already knew, because she had died in real life) .
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree with you. It's a very unusual situation and a big ask for the actors who clearly all loved Anne and were dealing with personal grief.

Usually when we have an emotional death in a soap, it's scripted as high drama to tug on the heart strings. I think that would have been utterly inappropriate in this case. The death of a high profile and popular character would also be unexpected, apart from spoilers and speculation of course, heightening the impact. We all knew this was coming, it didn't need to be the sort of episode that is amongst the Bafta entries, it just needed to break the news to bring some sort of "closure" (sorry, hate that word but it's the best I can do this early), which is what it did.

Totally agree with everything you say....it wasn't meant to be high drama..it wasn't meant to try and get higher viewing figures than any of the other soaps...it was meant for the cast (many who were close friends) crew and us the viewers to bring Deirdre's reign on Corrie to it's end....Ii must have been difficult for the cast for in a sense this wasn't acting it was for real....it made me cry..
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    GracieL wrote: »
    Kate Ford was the saving grace of that episode IMO. Bev Callard was passable but Bill Roache and Susie Blake were terrible.

Tracy Barlow is a vile evil murderer and she should have heard the news in prison.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »
    Totally agree with everything you say....it wasn't meant to be high drama..it wasn't meant to try and get higher viewing figures than any of the other soaps...it was meant for the cast (many who were close friends) crew and us the viewers to bring Deirdre's reign on Corrie to it's end....Ii must have been difficult for the cast for in a sense this wasn't acting it was for real....it made me cry..

Fair enough but I wasn't looking for high drama at all. I was looking to be moved and emotional but I didn't feel anything. :(
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Tracy Barlow is a vile evil murderer and she should have heard the news in prison.

You'll get no argument from me!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough but I wasn't looking for high drama at all. I was looking to be moved and emotional but I didn't feel anything. :(

Totally agree Sorcha. Didn't expect fireworks but admittedly wanted to feel emotional and reflective of Deidre's past. Instead I felt nothing, just one of many filler episodes...let's get back to the HUGELY entertaining Gail / Michael drama / Sarah / Callum drama / Michael / Eileen drama.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    Totally agree Sorcha. Didn't expect fireworks but admittedly wanted to feel emotional and reflective of Deidre's past. Instead I felt nothing, just one of many filler episodes...let's get back to the HUGELY entertaining Gail / Michael drama / Sarah / Callum drama / Michael / Eileen drama.

Yep but the editing/script were at fault imo. The actors did a good job considering the poor writing. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep but the editing/script were at fault imo. The actors did a good job considering the poor writing. :(

Agree again. I had not issue with any of the actors. Even Bev seemed OK to me, but the drivel they delivered was garbage. It could have been so much better!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Kate Ford was by far the most convincing for me :confused:.

I think that was the most convincing performance I have seen from Kate Ford. Tracy really isn't a character who I want to feel sorry for at all but in those scenes, I found it was difficult not to. 'Tracy the villain' almost disappeared, and for a few moments it was "Tracyluv" displaying real emotion - struggling to believe and accept that she has lost her mother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jazbaa1 wrote: »
    I think that was the most convincing performance I have seen from Kate Ford. Tracy really isn't a character who I want to feel sorry for at all but in those scenes, I found it was difficult not to. 'Tracy the villain' almost disappeared, and for a few moments it was "Tracyluv" displaying real emotion - struggling to believe and accept that she has lost her mother.

Completely agree. I've never once been a fan of KF or her character in TB but I have to say that last night she was the only one I found realistic and convincing. Props to the actress. I wish she could portray TB like this all the time!
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    Bev as dreadful. Just the way she was talking about the way Deirdre died and other stuff they did was really weak and at times unbelivable. I guess though it would have been difficult for any actor to reveal her passing, maybe the writers should have had it where Ken gets a phone call from the hospital or a visit from the police to say she had passed away would have been a more effective story.

I haven't watched any soaps for years but decided to tune in to watch the Deirdre storyline unfold (I'll probably watch until the funeral).

I agree having two policemen turn up on the doorstep would have had more shock value (for Ken) - the way they did it was a bit of a damp squib.

I also thought when Deirdre's glasses were handed over, it was trying to relive the moment when Hilda opened Stan's glasses case, but again it fell a bit flat.

Coming back as viewer after a long time away, I was struck at how hammy some of the acting is, especially the younger cast members :blush:
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I actually felt quite sad....but that's me :(:(....I think Anne's family wanted it to be kept low key.. understandably it must have been hard for them to watch...