feeling sad on the eve of Mothers Day

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
Forum Member
It's bittersweet.
I'm 36 and have two gorgeous daughters aged 9 and 7.
I haven't spoken to my Mother (and she hasn't contacted me) since October last year.
See my thread back then:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1154721&highlight=meljduk

I haven't sent anything for Mothers Day because my heart just wasn't in it and I'm sick of constantly trying to win her approval but getting nothing in return.
Any wise words of advice from anyone greatly appreciated
Melissa

Comments

• rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Don't want to egnore your thread, but you can have a *hug*
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really don't know what to say or suggest - but I really feel for you :(

It's a tough call - because you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Sending her a 'token' thing such as a card would probably just anger her, and sending her nothing would probably just anger her!

She sounds like an alcoholic who needs help. God knows why you are seen as the black sheep of the family.

Try to enjoy the day with your daughters - your own family
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meljduk wrote: »
    It's bittersweet.
    I'm 36 and have two gorgeous daughters aged 9 and 7.
    I haven't spoken to my Mother (and she hasn't contacted me) since October last year.
    See my thread back then:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1154721&highlight=meljduk

I haven't sent anything for Mothers Day because my heart just wasn't in it and I'm sick of constantly trying to win her approval but getting nothing in return.
    Any wise words of advice from anyone greatly appreciated
    Melissa

Enjoy your day with your two girls and try and remember if you were going to see your mum, it would not be a celebration, but another chance for her to behave badly. You are a great mum who has made difficult decisions to protect your children. Celebrate that!
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Please try to build bridges with your mother, because one day she will not be there. We are taking flowers to my mother in laws grave tomorrow, as she died 10 months ago. He regrets not calling her in the week before she passed away and would give almost anything to have one last conversation with her.

Mothers can be infuriating, but she is your mother, even if you never have a close relationship again, a little card every now and then wont hurt.
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Please try to build bridges with your mother, because one day she will not be there. We are taking flowers to my mother in laws grave tomorrow, as she died 10 months ago. He regrets not calling her in the week before she passed away and would give almost anything to have one last conversation with her.

Mothers can be infuriating, but she is your mother, even if you never have a close relationship again, a little card every now and then wont hurt.

I appreciate your loss and the sentiment of your post, but the OP's mother was bullying cruel to her very young daughter. It is not as simple as a minor falling out.
  • fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really feel for you, it must be hard.

But try and concentrate on your mother's day tomorrow (I mean you being a mum!), I'm sure your girls will want to celebrate it with you. You sound like a great mum, especially through your actions of protecting your older girl from your own mum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really feel for you, it must be hard.

But try and concentrate on your mother's day tomorrow (I mean you being a mum!), I'm sure your girls will want to celebrate it with you. You sound like a great mum, especially through your actions of protecting your older girl from your own mum.

I agree with this.

I feel sad too. My mother in law died five weeks ago and I miss her so much :(
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »

Sorry but I find this attitude extremely patronising. Not everyone has a good relationship with their parents and not everyone is cut out to be a parent. Sometimes for your own sanity and health you need to cut relatives out of your life. The O.P's mother was cruel and emotionally abusive towards her, and I don't mean to sound heartless but not speaking to someone for a week is not the same at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're not alone. My mum died 9 years ago today so I feel like complete shit today.
  • RedjasperRedjasper Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    omg I have been feeling the same way - I can so empathise. my relationship with my mother has always been rocky. long story - wont bore you. it's been 6 weeks since our last spat and we haven't spoken since. I have been feeling quite angry and sad about the whole thing. I have been in a what to do situation about mothers day and I have come to the conclusion for me that the whole issue between me and her is that she doesn't like me and why do I constantly try to get her to love me for who I am. I mean I wouldn't be this pathetic for a man. So yes I am pi$$£d about it but I do have my 2 wonderful children and my relationship with them completely outweighs what we claim to have had...

So Melissa I think for us it'll be hard yes but your children can give you a different angle to the whole concept of Mothers day and let them change your focus from your mum to you being the mum. They give you all the approval you need. And for me that's what is important.

Claire
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not alone. My mum died 9 years ago today so I feel like complete shit today.

So sorry to hear this - we lost our mother in law 9 years ago too, about a week ago was the anniversary and I've hidden away so long at this time of the year due to my own infertility and ivf - I despise mothers day and so grateful that my own mum knows why and understands. I will hide again tomorrow.

In my opinion it is totally commercial and rubs salt into the wounds of those of us who don't want to celebrate as it's so hard to avoid restaurants; pubs and the papers full of messages but my only advice is to deal with it on your own terms so you take control and do what you want. Bitter me - just a bit ;) Me - a day of watching the last series of Being Human and my feet up.

Take care all x
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like i said earlier in the week this will be my first mothers day since she died.
    bite the bullet and get her something:)
  • truantmusetruantmuse Posts: 8,683
    Forum Member
    I was never close to my mum as my grandmother brought me up mostly (my mum was always busy at work). But over the years I have got to know her and to appreciate her as a person. I was away from my home country for many years and when I went home I was stunned to see how much she and my dad had aged and how frail they looked. . I told myself that I would spend as much time as I could with them and I did try. I lost my dad 5 months ago and had to leave home two months ago to work here in the UK. While it's been exciting here, I have been grappling with sadness and grief - I miss both my parents so much and on mother's day here in UK I am thousands of miles away from my mum.

Give your mum a call OP.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hugsie wrote: »
    Enjoy your day with your two girls and try and remember if you were going to see your mum, it would not be a celebration, but another chance for her to behave badly. You are a great mum who has made difficult decisions to protect your children. Celebrate that!

I agree with hugsie, I remember your thread and posted on it. You are putting your girls first and sound a great Mum to them. As I said before, your Mum is the loser.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    So sorry to hear this - we lost our mother in law 9 years ago too, about a week ago was the anniversary and I've hidden away so long at this time of the year due to my own infertility and ivf - I despise mothers day and so grateful that my own mum knows why and understands. I will hide again tomorrow.

It really doesnt help does it? My mum died from an illness I also suffer from and I have it worse so it scares me too. I have pretty much locked myself in today except when I had to go shop. Its been 9 years but personally it hasn't got easier with time I sat in bed crying in the early hours cos its still so painful.

I look forward to today and tomorrow being over and done with.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really doesnt help does it? My mum died from an illness I also suffer from and I have it worse so it scares me too. I have pretty much locked myself in today except when I had to go shop. Its been 9 years but personally it hasn't got easier with time I sat in bed crying in the early hours cos its still so painful.

I look forward to today and tomorrow being over and done with.

((hug)) so sad
  • truantmusetruantmuse Posts: 8,683
    Forum Member
    To all the lovely but sad ladies on this thread - I can't do anything to alleviate your pain, but here's a cyber hug *hug*

And remember, although it may be Mother's Day here in the UK, it isn't in other parts of the world. Just imagine yourselves in the far east or in US for this weekend.
  • horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my mum haven't spoken since last summer, I gave birth in June and to cut a long story short a week later she was telling me what a crap daughter I am (I'd just given birth btw!) and after two visits to see her granddaughter she said she'd visit again and I haven't heard from her since.

Anyway, looking back I'm thinking I'm better off without her, she was a very negative and selfish influence in my life and I don't want to subject my daughter to that - as another poster said some people aren't cut out to be parents and it's just unfortunate for those of us that have those parents.

I just feel that I'll be a better person and a better mum to my daughter (and future kids!) so OP just get the day over with and look ahead, you don't need her!!
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't spoken to my mother in a few years now. I know how bitterly disappointing it is to not be loved by one of the people who are meant to love you most and it came as quite a shock when I consciously realised at 41 my mother didn't love me but not quite as big a shock as when other family members knew and had known all my life too.
    I am the only mother who counts in this family, mother to my kids and we all love each other very much. I doubt the feelings of guilt of "what did I do wrong" will ever go away so when I get the ache it brings I give my own kids more of a cuddle and a love. I know it's not me who's in the wrong but the guilt won't go, its' eased greatly though. Like all relationships, you can't make people love you, they do or they don't but of course when your own feelings are involved it's difficult to cut out the emotions :(

Enjoy your own day tomorrow (as will I) and rejoice in the fact that while she maybe a crap mother, YOU are not.

((((hugs))))
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Mum's mother stopped talking to her years ago she never forgave my mum for having to move away because of my dads farm.

Needless to say my mum tried and tried to repair the damage but my gran totally dumped her and us as grandchildren.

one day my mum got a call saying her mother had died she never even told them at the hospital she had a daughter once the hospital knew they were really good.

I often talk to mum about how she feels and all I can truly pass onto you is this do what you can write a letter just explain how you feel add some photos of the children
    and just make sure its in black and white the door is open for her to be part of the life you have created.

the main thing is in your heart you have tried all you can I know my mum will never get over the fact Gran went so nasty over something that should have just been part of families moving on to better things.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I was a bit sad too today, seeing all the people buying cards, flowers and balloons for their Mums in my local Asda - my own lovely Mum died 7 years ago.

One lady went by with her elderly mother and I heard her say 'I've got you a card and flowers for tomorrow already, Mum' and Mum replied (as my Mum would have said) 'Oh don't be daft, you didn't need to do that'. The Mum knew that I'd heard and smiled at me and that kind of made my day somehow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    As much as I hate for everyone to feel like this, its reassuring to know im not the only one.

Tomorrow is not only mothers day, but would also be my mums birthday. But she died in 2008.

And so im feeling a bit sad tonight. Although im meeting up with my dad and sister tomorrow for dinner to take all our minds off it.

Hope everyone has an ok day tomorrow.
  • goldenhatgoldenhat Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    FakeFlower wrote: »
    As much as I hate for everyone to feel like this, its reassuring to know im not the only one.

Tomorrow is not only mothers day, but would also be my mums birthday. But she died in 2008.

Hope everyone has an ok day tomorrow.

Me too, mum's 9 year anniversary, Mothers Day and her birthday all within 12 days. I was so sad today, we went to a garden Centre and there were loads of dads helping their little ones buy a pressie. Hope we all have as good a day as possible.x
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    My mam passed about 5 years ago I find mothers day hardest of it all x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Mel

After reading your threads I can sympathise.

Mothers day is a day to appreciate your mum. Your Mum has clearly no respect for you or your daughter.

Just remember honey you did what you had to as you have so much more respect for your children and yourself. I have a similar situation to you but my mother was a lot more physical. Sounds like your mum could take a leaf out of your book! Nothing is going to stop you feeling this way but you did what was best for your children.

Have a lovely day with your girls!!

Happy Mothers day x x x