2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meljduk wrote: »
    It's bittersweet.
    I'm 36 and have two gorgeous daughters aged 9 and 7.
    I haven't spoken to my Mother (and she hasn't contacted me) since October last year.
    See my thread back then:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1154721&highlight=meljduk

I haven't sent anything for Mothers Day because my heart just wasn't in it and I'm sick of constantly trying to win her approval but getting nothing in return.
    Any wise words of advice from anyone greatly appreciated
    Melissa

I haven't spoken to my mum since July last year. Sometimes its the most sensible thing! Your mum sounds like mine. I've given up on her!!
  • Options
    horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the OP, the fact that you walked away from your relationship with your mum after she started causing trouble for your kids shows what a great mum you are and that's who mother's day is for!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mother never liked me because of my choice of partner. My husband is a lot older than me and he was also a divorcee when we met. That really upset her. However 28 years later and we are still very much in love and have had a happy marraige.

On Mothering Sunday I would always send her a card and she probably sneered at it. I don't care if she did.

Mothering Sunday is for all mothers and people who are taking the role of mothers. I used to enjoy having a cup of tea brought to me before I got up in the morning and later watching my son doing the washing up. :D

Enjoy your own day with your two little girls Meljduk. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter's partner doesn't bother with getting her a Christmas present or birthday present let alone a mother's day card for the little ones. So I usually get her something for her from her children.

Last week the toddler did a painting while I was babysitting her and we made hand and foot print from putting paint on the baby's feet and hands. They are also going to give their mummy some chocolates, cards and a cushion with Best Mum written on it.

Him? He is going to play football all day as he usually does on a Sunday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mother died 20 years ago in April and Mother's Day is crap for me too.

But we had a bitter sweet relationship as she was not the easiest person in the world and there were times when, despite the fact that I loved her, I did not like her. When she became ill she lost that hard edge and we were mother and daughter once again. She died in a hospice in my arms.

Every relationship is so different and sadly a biological tie is not always enough to keep mothers and daughters together. It is a sad fact of life that sometimes no matter how hard you try some relationships will never work.

I was never lucky enough to become a mum myself but I have three of the most wonderful nephews and nieces you can imagine and me and my OH are a big part of their lives.

I guess what I am saying is that we all find ways of working with what we have and accepting what we can't have.

OP. I feel your sadness and I hope that today you have a wonderful day with your children.