CSI --- like Criminal Minds?

TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
Forum Member
Just very recently got into Criminal Minds and enjoying it a lot. I noticed that CSI in its various incarnations is showing all over the place, and was wondering is it worth a go? Is it anything like CM, or completely different?

I realise everything is subjective, but I went for CM because I used to watch Profiler, and enjoyed that a lot. CSI looks like it might be more tech-based than action-based, but I loved Regenesis and that was VERY tech based, though in a totally different genre, of course. I'm also looking at and enjoying WIthout a trace.

So just wondering if anyone recommends CSI, or even doesn't? And if so, are they all as good/bad as each other, what with Miami, Las Vegas, New York etc?

Just looking for a little guidance, if anyone would be so kind.

Thx

TH

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't get into CSI, the original (Vegas) was good for like 3 seasons, Miami and newyork have just nonsense plots and quite awful actors, but it's just all overhyped cheesy crap now.
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Thanx for that. I kind of got that impression from people here commenting. When they wanted to quote an example of a badly-written, "by-the-numbers" show they usually referred to CSI.

Probably won't waste my time then. Was just afraid I was missing out, as for a long time I ignored CM and WaT, and now enjoying both.

Thx again
    TH
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Criminal Minds is tons better than CSI: Miami, Vegas and NY. Well, from my personal experience and preference :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed Jpad, although they seem to be making the same mistake with a spin off as well : /
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed Jpad, although they seem to be making the same mistake with a spin off as well : /

really?? what spin off??
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,192
    Forum Member
    yea forest whitakers team is getting a spin off from Criminal Minds. I used to love CSI Vegas and Miami but it got bad I don't think Vegas survived the loss of Warrick or Grissom and Miami I don't know just lost it somewhere. Now I watch Criminal Minds it's better
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I saw the Forrest Whittaker ep it had "Spin Off" written all over it. So I wiki'd Criminal Minds and there is some stuff in there about it.

The original CSI is pretty good, if you like CM you'll probably like it. But Miami and NY are jibberish the plots are so contrived and poorly executed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    i love criminal minds. I like it much better than CSI but i do like CSI as well. CSI Vegas is by far the best of the 3, Miami and New York are very cheesy at times but i still really enjoy them.

I personally would recommend Criminal Minds and all 3 CSI to anyone.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up on CSI(LV) soon after Grissom left, one crime scene in Las Vegas looking pretty much like any other csinLV. Left CSINY as well cos non of the characters held any interest to me. CSIM though I'll be sticking with for ever :) All those sweeping aerial shots over sunkissed beaches and water filled areas, all those "on the right side of cheesy" shots of H and his sunglasses, all those one liners - gimme more and more and more. And Ms Eva La Rue does look kinda fetching :D

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ql5zyh.jpg

So with all these differing opinions methinks you're just gonna hafta give each series a shot yourself :)

- my one recommendation would be NCIS (right from the start !!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nats18 wrote: »
    yea forest whitakers team is getting a spin off from Criminal Minds. I used to love CSI Vegas and Miami but it got bad I don't think Vegas survived the loss of Warrick or Grissom and Miami I don't know just lost it somewhere. Now I watch Criminal Minds it's better

Cool thanks

is prentiss dating the sniper guy from that epi??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    speaking of the sniper, what the hell was going on with his accent? I thought at first I was hearing weirdly and that he might be Scottish or something, and then I realised it was just an appalling attempt by the American actor to do a "british accent".
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Thx guys for the replies and interest.
    Yes, I see they are doing Criminal Minds: Suspect Behaviour, though I don't know if it's the same characters or not. I have a lot of the series to get through (Living doing season 3 and RTE season 5 with various other channels throwing in an ep now and then) so I won't be checking it out just yet, in case it's a total spinoff and relies on the resolution to the end of the main series.

NCIS is something that holds no interest for me, plus I'm sick of hearing it "coming up" after it seems every prog I watch! Just how many times IS it shown on TV? :D

Anyway, I sort of thought CSI might not be my sort of show, so thanks for confirming that, mostly. Anyone not looking at Without a Trace who is into CM should check it out, and of course should you ever get a chance to catch Profiler dont miss it: great series.

Thx again
    TH
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Criminal Minds : Suspect Behaviour is a spin off show. The original Criminal Minds is continuing albeit with a reduced cast - AJ being kicked out and Prentis (the other lady) having reduced appearances.

Even though I've been a huge fan of CM I don't know if I'll stick with it once AJ has gone, with all the dark and evil in the show it was always kinda nice to have AJ there to brighten things up. And as for the spin-off, guess I'm just a shallow person but I'm weirded out by the star's eye so doubt I'll be watching that either.

btw OP, being a fan of CM you might like to check out the 2005 single season of The Inside - of a very similar vein to Criminal Minds, but imho darker - and that's ALL I'll say about that one so as to not spoil anything.

You only got 13eps but the final one does kinda round of the season, giving you an "end of book 1" type ending, you wish there was more but don't regret sticking with it all the way through. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trollheart wrote: »
    Thx guys for the replies and interest.
    Yes, I see they are doing Criminal Minds: Suspect Behaviour, though I don't know if it's the same characters or not. I have a lot of the series to get through (Living doing season 3 and RTE season 5 with various other channels throwing in an ep now and then) so I won't be checking it out just yet, in case it's a total spinoff and relies on the resolution to the end of the main series.

I only started watching CM this year and managed to catch up on all the series by watching on living and virgin1. once you have the basic knowledge of the characters then it isnt too confusing watching them out of order.
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Criminal Minds : Suspect Behaviour is a spin off show. The original Criminal Minds is continuing albeit with a reduced cast - AJ being kicked out and Prentis (the other lady) having reduced appearances.

Even though I've been a huge fan of CM I don't know if I'll stick with it once AJ has gone, with all the dark and evil in the show it was always kinda nice to have AJ there to brighten things up. And as for the spin-off, guess I'm just a shallow person but I'm weirded out by the star's eye so doubt I'll be watching that either.

:

Oh do we know why?? I always liked her character but I will continue to watch as long as they dont get rid of Garcia!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^it's all about the money :(

And as for Garcia - each to his/her own but I can't stand the gal , all that "gimme some of that Morgan love stick" stuff she spouts each ep, well that just makes me queezy.

But with you being a G-fan I guess you'll want to catch the spin off too, cos she's double banging (doing both shows).

btw: if they replace AJ with a Redhead I might just stick around a wee while longer :p
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love CSI Vegas until Grissom got with Sarah which was kinda off putting. Never got into the other two CSI's as I found them too cheesy and I don't like Horatio.

Criminal Minds is very good and you can watch them in order on a lot of sites. Can't wait for season 6.

The difference between the two is that CSI focus's on the technical aspect and Criminal Minds is psychological.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I love the H-cheese, without Grissom CSILV is just dank, and CSINY is just meh.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »

btw OP, being a fan of CM you might like to check out the 2005 single season of The Inside - of a very similar vein to Criminal Minds, but imho darker - and that's ALL I'll say about that one so as to not spoil anything.

You only got 13eps but the final one does kinda round of the season, giving you an "end of book 1" type ending, you wish there was more but don't regret sticking with it all the way through. :cool:

Apart from AJ, it's Jennifer "JJ" Jareau, I agree with all of what you say. She was always a good counter point to the darkness of the show. I hadn't heard they were reducing the cast. That will be a shame.

The Inside was great. Adam Baldwin (Firefly, Chuck) was really good. The lead actress (forget her name) was great. It was very dark. I was so disappointed when it was cancelled.
    Worth watching even if it's only 13 eps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Rachel Nichols was the "The Inside" lady - redhead btw :)

the series had an end ep very similar to that of Firefly <- was bored so thought I'd mention that.

& re: CM cut backs, when news broke of the ptb's trimming there was a bunch of twitters from various cast members from the show detailing their bewilderment and psdoff-ness :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the spoilers about JJ n Prentiss people!! :mad:

personally i like Las Vegas but not Miami or New York much prefer criminal minds, Without A Trace and law and order SVU.

tbh most of these shows have the same formulatic (is that even a word lol) jist each week ie solve the crime with forensics/find someone who's missing/finding the unsub before they do anything else etc so its a case of pick your poison and watch it mostly :) although i do prefer like shows like that which dont have too much of a backstory with the characters
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    Apart from AJ, it's Jennifer "JJ" Jareau
    JJ is the character, AJ is the actress. Her full name is Andrea Joy Cook, but she's usually credited as AJ Cook.

She's done some great acting in the series; it's a real shame she's going. I hope she keeps working.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    speaking of the sniper, what the hell was going on with his accent? I thought at first I was hearing weirdly and that he might be Scottish or something, and then I realised it was just an appalling attempt by the American actor to do a "british accent".

Um, Matt Ryan was born (and raised, I assume) in England. :confused:
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have awful taste in television then, because I actually quite like CSI:New York, I watch the re-runs on hallmark.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that case, you and me are both in the same boat. I love CSI NY too. Gary Sinise is excellent.
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have awful taste in television then, because I actually quite like CSI:New York, I watch the re-runs on hallmark.

I have the same awful taste as you then because I love CSI: NY, I have recently got into watching it and bought Seasons 1 - 5 & am currently watching Season 6 on Five, I enjoy CSI Vegas but not as much & have never seen CSI Miami. I have seen episodes of Criminal Minds and find it quite good to watch, my favourite characters are Derek and Spencer.