Disabled Room for Non-Disabled

GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK, I have been trying to book a hotel room for a couple of nights in London in August because we have Olympics tckets (hooray!). Many places were already full (or claimed to be) or charging such inflated prices I ruled them out.

One hotel had a few rooms left, at OK (if not cheap) prices, but they were designated as 'disabled rooms'. Nothing on the website asked you to specify anything about disability so we have booked one of these, even though neither of us is disabled.

Does anyone see any problems with doing this ? There were other rooms of this type still available, so I don't feel I have 'stolen' the room from a disabled guest. But will the staff expect us to have a disability of some kind ??

Thoughts welcome!

Comments

• jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I wouldn't assume that it was ok to book a proprietory disabled room if I, or anyone using the room, was not disabled. I certainly wouldn't be able to blag it once I was there if I was under scrutiny!

If you are feeling bad/worried about it, you could ring the hotel (or, to preserve the booking just in case you do not get the answer you are looking for, a different hotel) and ask them the general policy...?
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt anyone will ask you to "prove" you are disabled. The hotel are getting paid so they won't care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if it's available it would be ok, however if a disabled person then requested it by law they would be entitled to it.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't specifically booked them, but have ended up checking into disabled rooms a couple of times - just first come first served as far as the hotel is concerned.
    if a disabled person then requested it by law they would be entitled to it.

No, they wouldn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Haven't specifically booked them, but have ended up checking into disabled rooms a couple of times - just first come first served as far as the hotel is concerned.

No, they wouldn't.

Wouldn't that be breaking the law in regards to disability discrimination act?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I've been given disabled rooms in hotels when no other rooms were available. Hotels obviously won't keep rooms unoccupied on the off-chance that a disabled person might turn up on the day.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No. They might be obliged to have rooms adapted for disabled people, or to allocate the rooms sensibly if they're dealing with booking requests simultaneously, but I can't think why they'd be obliged to renege on a non-disabled person's booking just because a disabled customer turns up later.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Best start practicing your limp now, just in case. :D
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best start practicing your limp now, just in case. :D

A few of our friends said that or something similar, and it's all in very bad taste! (Though we laughed. ;) )
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Just borrow or hire a wheelchair and a walking stick for the duration. Problem solved.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disability covers a multitude of things, many without any physical signs, so I wouldn't worry too much.
  • mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those handles at the side of the toilet will be handy for hanging your wet towel on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    When I book disabled rooms for client's who are wheelchair users it usually means the bathroom is equipped to take a person in such a chair or has been converted into a wet room, the bedroom itself is usually big enough for the user to move round it in his/her chair and perhaps plugs and switches are it a higher level for ease of use.

I also book for disabled client's who do not use chairs and none have ever been asked to provide proof.

If I contact a hotel which has disabled rooms and find they are all booked I just look somewhere else. Its really up to the hotel's own policy whether they hang on to rooms or not.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A disaled person cannot come along and take your room. When they enquired they would simply be told there were no vacancies.

You don't have to be disabled to book an adapted room. In fact you will probably be getting a lot more room for your money.

You have nothing to worry or feel guilty about.
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the helpful comments.
  • Trouble MakerTrouble Maker Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaditano wrote: »
    OK, I have been trying to book a hotel room for a couple of nights in London in August because we have Olympics tckets (hooray!). Many places were already full (or claimed to be) or charging such inflated prices I ruled them out.

One hotel had a few rooms left, at OK (if not cheap) prices, but they were designated as 'disabled rooms'. Nothing on the website asked you to specify anything about disability so we have booked one of these, even though neither of us is disabled.

Does anyone see any problems with doing this ? There were other rooms of this type still available, so I don't feel I have 'stolen' the room from a disabled guest. But will the staff expect us to have a disability of some kind ??

Thoughts welcome!

Why would there be a problem. A disabled room is one that makes life a little more easy for a disabled person if they book in. If the rooms are free, a hotel is correct to put anybody in them. Its simple economics. Why leave rooms empty on the off chance they are wanted when others are looking for them.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The key word to consider in that Act is "discrimination." If a hotel is fully booked it is not discriminatory to turn away potential guests, be they disabled or not.

If there were empty rooms and a disabled person were turned away solely because they were disabled and the hotel had no facilities, that would be discriminatory.
    Of course common sense would dictate that if there were empty rooms that became available, it would not be unreasonable to ask an able bodied guest who was booked into an accessible room to re-locate to another room to allow a disaabled guest to stay also.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I see nothing wrong with it. And there is no need to (even jokingly) walk with a limp, many disabilities are hidden.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if it's available it would be ok, however if a disabled person then requested it by law they would be entitled to it.

That's a bold statement...can you point to any such legislation?

No, but breaking a contract in order to give the room to a disabled person, solely because they're disabled, might be. The Act forbids discrimination on the grounds of disability; it doesn't give scope for positive discrimination. Unless they've amended it since I last looked at it, of course.