Options

Asda and Tesco selling tap water

Comments

• Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I thought we agreed last time on this subject that only half wits pay for bottled water.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crimsonmon wrote: »
    Because I don't usually take a long pipe attached to my tap when I'm out for when I get thirsty.

I've never understood all those people you see out clutching a water bottle, surely you can go a couple of hours without a drink, if not, there ar plenty of cafes.

Back to the tap water, didn't Coca Cola get caught out a few years ago doing the same thing.?
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't buy it then. Simple as.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    double post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The people saying how the regulations mean that tap water is perfectly safe and better than even bottled water etc etc.

The problem with that is all the rubbish they put into tap water to get it that artificially "clean" isn't exactly great (even though they say there is no harm, well they would wouldnt they) and also since most of the water pipes and structure under the country hasnt been touched or replaced since victorian times it's pretty obvious a lot of places are found not to have this amazingly clean tap water and plenty of gunk going through it. There have been so many cases of people being harmed by tap water or finding things in it.

I buy still water because the tap water in our area tastes disgusting yet the water company insist there's nothing wrong with it - yet not once have they bothered to test it. Maybe that explains why they keep on saying how great the UK tap water is lol

You obviously don't know anything about the requirements for testing drinking water in the UK. The water companies are required to take many more tests for analysis, including from customer taps, than are required of those who produce bottled water.

It's funny, people who work for the water companies, who know all about the condition of pipes, the water treatment plants, and testing schedules, drink tap water.

Fair enough, if you are bothered by the taste, perhaps pick something else. But generally filtering it will get rid of the hard water taste, while sticking it in a jug in a fridge for just a couple of hours will remove any residual chlorine.

Similarly, some mineral water isn't all it's cracked up to be. Not all of those minerals are actually good for you! Some are sold with higher concentrations than are legally permitted in tap water.

If you are genuinely concerned about the safety of your water, you can get the water company to test the water. However, most people just like the idea of complaining about tap water, or just like to be worried.

Each to their own. If people want to buy mineral water, that's up to them. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with selling tap water in bottles.
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tap water is nasty, especially if you live in a hard water area.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    I thought we agreed last time on this subject that only half wits pay for bottled water.

^^ This.

Tap water in Britain is perfectly safe to drink. You can even buy bottles which filter the water as you drink to make it "cleaner":

http://www.brita.co.uk/brita/en-gb/cms/fill-and-go/fillandgo2012_2.grid

Why waste money buying bottled spring water? And so much waste in plastic bottling.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    What are people complaing about.
    I was charged 50p for air at the petrol station.
    The air was free. But the machine to compress it to 100 p.s.i..... well that wasn't quite priceless, was it. :D

You could always have bought a foot pump or one of those mini compressors though ;)
  • Options
    CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    [Insert sentence consisting of pure outrage here]

Seriously though, I've never understood why people buy bottled water in the first place when the same people have usually got access to perfectly good tap water.

I drink nothing but water, I drink about 4-6 litres of water a day. Where I live the tap water has a metallic awful taste, so I sometimes boil or freeze the water to get rid of the taste, but now and again I do buy bottled water as it tastes so fresh and is a lot less hassle, plus the bottles can be reused :)
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    [Insert sentence consisting of pure outrage here]

Seriously though, I've never understood why people buy bottled water in the first place when the same people have usually got access to perfectly good tap water.

have you ever tasted KENT tap water ??? bloody vile.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I can understand why people buy bottled water when they're out, but I never understand why people buy it to keep in the house.
  • Options
    Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    You obviously don't know anything about the requirements for testing drinking water in the UK. The water companies are required to take many more tests for analysis, including from customer taps, than are required of those who produce bottled water.

I'm aware they do test, i have never had anyone come to my house to take a water sample nor have i known anyone else, so i'm guessing that isnt that extensive and most testing is done from the mains in the road.
    Fair enough, if you are bothered by the taste, perhaps pick something else. But generally filtering it will get rid of the hard water taste, while sticking it in a jug in a fridge for just a couple of hours will remove any residual chlorine.

Which really is the service Tesco etc are giving people for 17p without the need to go to all that trouble. Plus i'd guess their "source" is possibly a bit more direct and pure than a household tap seeing as they are taking gazillions of gallons of it.
    Similarly, some mineral water isn't all it's cracked up to be. Not all of those minerals are actually good for you! Some are sold with higher concentrations than are legally permitted in tap water.

Wasnt aware of that, thanks!
    If you are genuinely concerned about the safety of your water, you can get the water company to test the water. However, most people just like the idea of complaining about tap water, or just like to be worried.

Agreed. It seems people in different regions have different levels of quality water wise, so i can see the need for bottled water. I'm not saying anyones going to die from lethal tap H2O but i'm just wary of it.
  • Options
    Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you ever tasted KENT tap water ??? bloody vile.

Agreed, its the worst.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asda have been doing this yonks... it is called "Smart Price Lager"
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the time i've boiled and filtered enough water to drink in a week it costs me less to buy bottled water.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't drink bottled water normally but its hardly a rip off at 17p for a bottle that size is it?, jeez.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    I don't drink bottled water normally but its hardly a rip off at 17p for a bottle that size is it?, jeez.

2 litres for 17p is good i think.If others saw the water that comes out of my taps i think they'd do the same.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    cbe21ok wrote: »

I read somewhere that it's one of the most unfriendly environmental products due to transport costs.I really do believe that a 2500% markup price is legal theft though.But I@m also quite happy that gullible fools are parted with thier cash.
  • Options
    tediouslyrandomtediouslyrandom Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Apparently the ASDA/Tesco water is equivalent to home filtered.

So quite reasonable really.

They should have been more clear about though.

But in plastic bottles that contain suspected harmful chemicals, filter jugs are made from a different plastic.

You would be best to use home filtered water and invest in a metal drinking container.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    You have to wonder if people realise where the water in their coke, lemonade, beers, wines and spirits comes from.

17p for a product that's 90% identical to a £10 bottle of wine or 95% identical to a £2.00 bottle of coke is practically a bargain.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They haven't made the mistake Coke did and give it a silly name like Dasani. Still cheeky charging that for tap water.
  • Options
    Mal80Mal80 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that it's one of the most unfriendly environmental products due to transport costs.I really do believe that a 2500% markup price is legal theft though.But I@m also quite happy that gullible fools are parted with thier cash.
    I suspect that figure is an extreme example, like picking one of those small perrier bottles that are shipped across the world for hotels and tourists. We have lots of local suppliers in this country, even the country's supply of evian arrives via train, which can't be that bad. No worse than, say, wine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm aware they do test, i have never had anyone come to my house to take a water sample nor have i known anyone else, so i'm guessing that isnt that extensive and most testing is done from the mains in the road.
    And it's still more extensive than what is done by the people who bottle the stuff. Also, the water companies do test from taps as well as the mains, but mainly the mains, because that's the bit they control. Most fails from taps are due to the private pipework, such as old lead pipes or dodgy plumbing. If you get new fixtures from a dodgy supplier, they may contain metals that are banned.
    Which really is the service Tesco etc are giving people for 17p without the need to go to all that trouble. Plus i'd guess their "source" is possibly a bit more direct and pure than a household tap seeing as they are taking gazillions of gallons of it.
    I have no issue with the shops selling tap water in bottles. I've already given reasons why a person would reasonably buy it. My only objection is people claiming that normal tap water is unhealthy, or that it's essential to buy the bottled stuff for safety.

If people want a drink when they are out, a bottle of water is no more odd than a bottle of coke. Thankfully, more places are allowing you to fill up your own water bottles. They had water points the Olympics and a lot of festivals have them too.

As I said before, I have a stash of 6 2 litre bottles of still bottled water in case there is an interruption to the public supply. I also have a couple of sealed 500ml bottles in the car that I keep in case of emergencies.

I also sometimes buy fizzy water that I drink at home as an alternative to soft drinks. I'm not against buying the stuff, but I'm not daft enough to waste money on it just to replace a perfectly adequate public water supply.
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well nowhere does it say mineral water on those bottles. Just still water. So if you are buying it thinking you are getting mineral, then it's your mistake. People need to take responsibility for their actions. Something which people here hate doing. It's always someone else's fault!
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tap water as opposed to unicorn tears, collected by angels in an oasis in france?