ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Literally the BBC audience is dying off.

Really, it's a bit like the argument I've seen that Corrie's audience is dying of of old age and not being replaced. There is some truth that the veteran soap and BBC One's Sunday offerings attract an elderly audience, but how do you account for the popularity of young skewing shows like Eastenders, Miranda and Mrs Browns Boys tonight, and a channel like BBC Three is really going for the pensioner audience with Snog, Marry, or Avoid?
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itv arent in crisis whilst the advertisers are happhy whatever the ratings are and they are currently
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    itv arent in crisis whilst the advertisers are happhy whatever the ratings are and they are currently

They'd like it if the audience was higher, they'd be more likely to advertise then - and ITV could charge more.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol, maybe true but surely being replaced by "new oldies" day by day.
    We all of us at some vague point will look up from our newspapers, glance at the tv and become ecstatic that someone made a profit of £1.50 on Bargain Hunt or Fiona Bruce guesses right on the Basic Better of Best game.

It comes to us all ;)
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,960
    Forum Member
    The second Corrie scores 10.6m and The Chase gets an all-time high for a weekday edition. Wonder if Samuel will find a way to fault any ITV rating last night.
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the advertisers will always like a bigger audience whether or not itv are in crisis just the basis of commercial tv that is of course. also just a small point remember some programmes are not shown or displaced to a different time on itv wales itv channel tv utv and stv as well as bbc ni scotland and wales so making comparisons featuring these programmesd are ridiculous and thuscant be part of any crisi if there is one which there isnt if we look at last night figures asd pointed out earlierin the thread.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    The second Corrie scores 10.6m and The Chase gets an all-time high for a weekday edition. Wonder if Samuel will find a way to fault any ITV rating last night.

The Chase is a daytime beast. Admittedly even I am surprised at how well it is doing. But, asides from The Chase, all it shows is that ITV is so reliant on soaps to get ratings, it is bereft of variety that appeal to people outside of a few established shows.

ITV scored its first prime time victory last night and fair play to them. But if the soaps weren't there what would they offer?
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    the advertisers will always like a bigger audience whether or not itv are in crisis just the basis of commercial tv that is of course. also just a small point remember some programmes are not shown or displaced to a different time on itv wales itv channel tv utv and stv as well as bbc ni scotland and wales so making comparisons featuring these programmesd are ridiculous and thuscant be part of any crisi if there is one which there isnt if we look at last night figures asd pointed out earlierin the thread.

So ITV isn't in a crisis, but the BBC is? Is that what you are saying?
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bizarre argument.

When ITV was regionalised, very frequently local programmes would air at the same time as some networked programmes and networked programmes shown on another day. Yet, despite this, the audience share of ITV, even though local programmes were showing, was consistently much higher than BBC1';s. It could be argued that losing the local stations has actually weakened ITV rather than strengthened it.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders is popular with people who dont have enough misery in their own lives.

I disagree. Eastenders is also popular with people whose lives are misery-filled, but who want to feel a bit better by watching characters whose lives are even more miserable.

And by ugly men who like to fantasise that much better looking women will inexplicably fancy them.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Ive always liked BBC more. This is partly because they used to be underdogs in the ratings when I was growing up and I felt sorry for them.

That's a bit like feeling sorry for Barclays bank if Natwest has a few more customers than them.
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is, (as are other old style tv channels) the audiences are being replaced by folk who look around the myriad of other channels, home entertainment and online services.

The old loyalty to the BBC/ITV is slowly vanishing.

Not surprsing ITV share is down really, considering people are chosing to buy premium TV packages.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daytime quizzes (inc +1):

The Chase - 4.10m (24.6%)
    Pointless - 3.68m (21.0%)
    Tipping Point - 2.17m (17.8%)
    Perfection - 1.40m (12.8%)

Even with Father Brown the BBC's quizzes are losing out to ITV's
  • stevie67stevie67 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I wonder what itv would have looked like today had there been no franchise auction in 1991,no snapping up of regional franchises and had carried on with the old regional format.The itv that we have now is in my opinion just awful. From its programming to its on screen presentation. ITV seem to be locked into a schedule that it has no intention of revamping.. Maybe if went back and looked at what made itv a number one broadcaster back in the eighties and pre 1993 having more than soaps in its prime time schedule and showed quality drama,comedy and current affairs programming then maybe it would be worth watching again. This is just my opinion
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Only 2million for Itv in yesterdays 9pm flagship slot for a major Julian Fellowes production. Very bad rating, beaten over 3 to 1 by BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 2million for Itv in yesterdays 9pm flagship slot for a major Julian Fellowes production. Very bad rating, beaten over 3 to 1 by BBC.

Yes it must have cost £2.50 to produce. Unless of course he had to pay admission to the house. In which case it may not be much change out of £10.
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol so that program was major but inside death row a program that got good ratings was not important. :D
    Forum Member
    Lol so that program was major but inside death row a program that got good ratings was not important. :D
    Major in terms of the talent involved. I imagine Julian Fellowes commands a much bigger pay rate compared to Trevor MacDonald. Fellowes is a busy man who can demand a lot of money from Itv due to the success of Downton abbey series 1 and 2 where as Trevors semi-retired and will take a job with lower wages.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since we get advertising every 10 minutes, my guess is that the ITV viewing figures can't be that poor. Also there have been some excellent drama productions including Mr Selfridge and Downton Abbey.
    Forum Member
    X Factor 'to miss out on National Television Award for first time in five years' : http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/x-factor-to-miss-out-1551142
    chinchin wrote: »
    Since we get advertising every 10 minutes, my guess is that the ITV viewing figures can't be that poor. Also there have been some excellent drama productions including Mr Selfridge and Downton Abbey.
    Mr Selfridge has lost almost 2million viewers in 2 weeks. So it looks like many viewers of the show would disagree with your opinion that its excellent. If Mr Selfridge continues to lose viewers, a second series of the much hyped Itv Studios production will be in doubt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Major in terms of the talent involved. I imagine Julian Fellowes commands a much bigger pay rate compared to Trevor MacDonald.

Sir Trevor to you :D but anyways Fellowes is not a major tv presenter. He is writer. Noticably he cannot talk straight to the camera. I kept asking myself last night, WHO WAS HE TALKING TO as he kept looking to the right of the camera? :eek:
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly Downton Abbey is a co-production of Carnival (NBC Universal) and PBS Masterpiece, Mr Selfridge itv Studios and PBS Masterpiece. Great Houses is produced by Chocolate Media (NBC Universal).

So it is not only down to itv what happens to these Programmes, if PBS schedules Great Houses (I am assuming they will show it ) and Mr Selfridge in such a way as to capitalise on Downton Abbeys US audience, they may well do better there than in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    Interestingly Downton Abbey is a co-production of Carnival (NBC Universal) and PBS Masterpiece, Mr Selfridge itv Studios and PBS Masterpiece. Great Houses is produced by Chocolate Media (NBC Universal).

So it is not only down to itv what happens to these Programmes, if PBS schedules Great Houses (I am assuming they will show it ) and Mr Selfridge in such a way as to capitalise on Downton Abbeys US audience, they may well do better there than in the UK.

Great Houses will also run at least 5 times on ITV3 (excl +1's) It will double its final audience based on these repeats.
    Forum Member
    George S, what are your thoughts on Mr Selfridges ratings please? Are you concerned by the drop of almost 2million in a fortnight? Was it the wrong decision to cancel Wild at heart. Thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George S, what are your thoughts on Mr Selfridges ratings please? Are you concerned by the drop of almost 2million in a fortnight? Was it the wrong decision to cancel Wild at heart. Thank you.

As i've said many times before, its important not to panic about these things. Stay calm, see how things look at the end of the series.