Science question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The answer isn't all that important to me, but just something that was in my mind.

A couple of weeks ago I was on a flight. I had a window seat so I could see the propeller of the plane.

The ground was very wet.

When the engines started and the propeller was spinning at a fast speed it was clearing the water on the ground, but when the propeller was at top speed it seemed to have no visible effect on the water. No ripples or waves or anything.

So I guess my question is...
How come when it goes super fast it does't seem to let air through?

Is it maybe that the air does go through but not downwards?
i.e like a windsock.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess when the propeller is at top speed it's moving more air horizontally, with less air spilling off in the vertical plane.

There's also the fact that the pilot controls the pitch of the prop (i.e. the angle of 'bite' into the air). This is used to ensure the prop is more efficient at different airspeeds).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperHet wrote: »
    I guess when the propeller is at top speed it's moving more air horizontally, with less air spilling off in the vertical plane.

There's also the fact that the pilot controls the pitch of the prop (i.e. the angle of 'bite' into the air). This is used to ensure the prop is more efficient at different airspeeds).

I makes sense now I think about it but it only looked weird because it was really fast when it was still blowing the water. I was surprised that the air would change after that speed.