Sexual Harassment on the street

Comments

• RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    I am the innocent one there is no one to walk with i do sometimes see a lad on train who walks the same way i may get him to walk with me if i see him.
    That's a good idea. But if you are alone make sure you give off confident body language and firm 'No's. At the moment I suspect you give more than just one word answers. In which case he likely thinks the pair of you are bantering.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Saskia44 wrote: »
    Blokes can't go following women like that. It is intimidating. Maybe a bit of commonsense from blokes wouldn't go amiss.

Get over yourself!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I'm out of here as the "I'm a little weak female" card is now being abused to get what they want.

How anyone of you would have coped in the real world before Facebook is not worth thinking about.

It really is insulting to victims of genuine abuse and innocent people who this new generation so readily make false accusations about.

Enjoy your self-pity and self-righteous control by abusing laws.

Is that you William Roach ???
  • Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly! He's trying to get you to take a leaflet. The best thing to do instead of looking like a scared rabbit and hurtling off is just look straight ahead, walk normal speed and just say 'No' in a firm way to each and any question. If he lays a hand on you, or stands in your way to try and impede you then report it as soon as you can (not 999 though) or if near the station turn on your heels and go back and ask the staff there if they can help you.
    Otherwise imo you're getting yourself stressed over something I don't think you need to.

Are you serious. Firstly you can't force someone to take a leaflet by harrassing them into it. Secondly - he then became more personal by asking for her number and to take her to lunch.

How many women would be dumb enough to give their numbers to strange blokes on the street. The guy was at best an idiot, at worst - who knows!
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I'm out of here as the "I'm a little weak female" card is now being abused to get what they want.

How anyone of you would have coped in the real world before Facebook is not worth thinking about.

It really is insulting to victims of genuine abuse and innocent people who this new generation so readily make false accusations about.

Enjoy your self-pity and self-righteous control by abusing laws.

If she doesn't want his attention, why SHOULD she have to put up with it every week?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get over yourself!

Sounds more like you need to do that if you think women are going to welcome such 'attention'.

It is so laughable that you go on about people's lack of communication skills because they spend too much time on Facebook - when you see no problem with guys 'botherirng/harrassing' young girls in the street.

I know what most women would consider 'odd' or lacking in communication skills, or downright harrassment. Wake up sexual harrassment is no longer acceptable in 2013.
    Forum Member
    Are you serious. Firstly you can't force someone to take a leaflet by harrassing them into it. Secondly - he then became more personal by asking for her number and to take her to lunch.

How many women would be dumb enough to give their numbers to strange blokes on the street. The guy was at best an idiot, at worst - who knows!

He doesn't get paid unless all his leaflets are handed out. He has likely had women say no to a leaflet who then after asking their number and asking them for lunch (flirting) laugh and take a leaflet after all. If this is making the OP really uncomfortable then she needs to report it. She hasn't as I post this said anything about the advice to do that. We are also being given info bit by bit.
    The OP sounded like it was the first time.
    Then it's the third time.
    We then find out the third time is the only time she's responded verbally to him. So now she's answered his request for phone number or a date he may well leave her alone.
    If not then she should do as suggested. Just one word firm answers. Confident body language. And report it if it carries on.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gawd, if I thought every man that spoke to me in the street was sexually harassing me I'd never go out.

Laugh it off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't get paid unless all his leaflets are handed out. He has likely had women say no to a leaflet who then after asking their number and asking them for lunch (flirting) laugh and take a leaflet after all. If this is making the OP really uncomfortable then she needs to report it. She hasn't as I post this said anything about the advice to do that. We are also being given info bit by bit.
    The OP sounded like it was the first time.
    Then it's the third time.
    We then find out the third time is the only time she's responded verbally to him. So now she's answered his request for phone number or a date he may well leave her alone.
    If not then she should do as suggested. Just one word firm answers. Confident body language. And report it if it carries on.

It is still harrassment - hidden behind the guise of 'flirting'. He must have a pretty low opinion of women if he thinks a bit of 'flirting' will get them to take his leaflets. Then again, there are a lot of stupid women out there - vain enough to fall for it. More fool them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is still harrassment - hidden behind the guise of 'flirting'. He must have a pretty low opinion of women if he thinks a bit of 'flirting' will get them to take his leaflets. Then again, there are a lot of stupid women out there - vain enough to fall for it. More fool them.

I told him i already had one he saw me follwed me and then asked me if i wanted one i said no he asked for my number i said i had a boyfriend he then asked to go for lunch ! i ignored him waited to cross the street and he walked back up and was looking at me.
  • Homer's donutHomer's donut Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Is it a big station? If so, there may be transport police there - they could help. to be honest I'd report it to the police - not a 999 call, but a call to a local station. He's probably doing it to other women/girls and it could be frightening to youngsters.
    My daughter was hassled by a man at a station and the transport police were very good, he attacked someone at another station.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Gawd, if I thought every man that spoke to me in the street was sexually harassing me I'd never go out.

Laugh it off.

Sorry - but if you can't see the difference between speaking/talking to someone and following them down the street asking for their number, more than once, when no postive response had been offered, I'm not sure offering advice is advisable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I told him i already had one he saw me follwed me and then asked me if i wanted one i said no he asked for my number i said i had a boyfriend he then asked to go for lunch ! i ignored him waited to cross the street and he walked back up and was looking at me.

Then tell him if you don't **** off I'll report you to your employers or phone the police. Though I admit I'm in the Croctacus and Roland mouse camp.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blokes can't go following women like that. It is intimidating. Maybe a bit of commonsense from blokes wouldn't go amiss.

I agree with this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then tell him if you don't **** off I'll report you to your employers or phone the police. Though I admit I'm in the Croctacus and Roland mouse camp.

Blokes like him are a pain - they should have more self-respect.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ............. i do sometimes see a lad on train who walks the same way i may get him to walk with me if i see him.

Be careful how you phrase your request - and if he walks away without answering, don't chase after him.

Seriously though, as has been suggested before, if he does it again report the incident to the police. There's a fine line between trying to get your attention and harassment, and he may be about to cross it.
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    WTF has this world come to? Someone asks for your phone number and that is sexual harassment? :rolleyes:

How on earth did you meet your current attachment? Did you first correspond for 10 years from separate concrete cells wrapped in bubble wrap?

It's a wonder anyone has a relationship nowadays with all this utterly stupid and damaging false accusation and attention seeking.
    If you haven't seen Sofie Peeters's documentary "Femme de la Rue" it's worth having a look on Youtube (or wherever) for it, to see quite how much harassment there can be in someone just 'asking for your phone number'.
  • FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take one of the leaflets without saying anything to him and call whoever it is he is advertising to complain about him. 100 yards is a long time to follow soneone who has said 'no'.

I think there is a law which prevents chuggers from walking more than about three steps when they are trying to get you to sign up. If they move any more than that it is harassment(although thinking back the person who told me this was a boring lying moron so we can take that with a pinch of salt)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on my way to college and leaving the station A man approached me giving leaflets out (he is there every wednesday) I said no thanks he then followed me down the street saying " can i have your number ?" i said i am taken and he asked me to go for lunch "

When a person persistently asks for my number, I usually give out a phone number that he or she'll soon discover is a local police station number.

But in your case, you should let someone at college know. Your course tutor, maybe. He or she'll contact the police for advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    If you haven't seen Sofie Peeters's documentary "Femme de la Rue" it's worth having a look on Youtube (or wherever) for it, to see quite how much harassment there can be in someone just 'asking for your phone number'.

He's a bloke - he just doesn't get it. He has never been in a woman's shoes so appears incapable of understanding how intimidating it can be.

Or maybe he doesn't give a damn - and just wants to make excuses for inappropriate blokes that don't know how to behave.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on my way to college and leaving the station A man approached me giving leaflets out (he is there every wednesday) I said no thanks he then followed me down the street saying " can i have your number ?" i said i am taken and he asked me to go for lunch " i ignored him i was trying to cross the road i stood there and he turned and went back up the street i thought he was going to follow me all the way to college ! It was scary its not like it was a one of i have to see this man every Wednesday.

I am hoping he will leave me alone but what if he doesn't !

anyone else have the same issue

Sounds to me like he's cocky and arrogant if he didn't get the message after you told him you're taken. Some people in this world are just over confident.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    When a person persistently asks for my number, I usually give out a phone number that he or she'll soon discover is a local police station number.

But in your case, you should let someone at college know. Your course tutor, maybe. He or she'll contact the police for advice.

memorise the clap clinic number:cool:
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

I've given out the Brighton hospital number before now, to get a bloke off my case (in the days before mobiles).

One of the unexpected benefits of getting old and fat is that this crap doesn't happen to me any more.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like he's cocky and arrogant if he didn't get the message after you told him you're taken. Some people in this world are just over confident.

She didn't speak to him until the most recent encounter so he may leave it now. If not then she should report it. I don't understan why she hasn't commented on that piece of advice at all as many people here have given it.
    Forum Member
    Thread from earlier this year. Bus stop this time.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1637498&highlight=