Options

Windows 8 not so bad...

Comments

• Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I can't really see it making much difference, just a gimmick. It is easy enough to get to the Metro screen with the windows key on keyboard. the problem is the mess once you get to the metro screen.

What mess, its very nice and tidy, I like it. :D
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

Exactly mine is sorted so that I have everything I need where i want it.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    my metro screen has 1 tile - desktop lol

the apps etc are a load of balls
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Yeah because those things aren't in Windows 8 are they? :o

The desktop is but unless you install a third party utility like Classic Shell you can't avoid the Duplo tiles. Anyone seen Micro Mart magazine this week? They have a big article about Windows 8 and why it's been consigned to the tech scrapheap by many. I didn't buy it though. Has anyone managed to get Windows 8 running on a Mac?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Looks like they are doing the same with Tablets, phones and now the new XBOX. - Change for the sake of it that isnt that good or well thought out.
    Walled garden ensures 30% app income.

And effectively owning the 2nd hand xbox goods market is another way of ensuring alternative sources of income when hardware sales fall.

Many digital goods are made worthless used. It is why I buy CDs and not MP3's most of the time. I'm buying a CD, not a worthless license to listen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    my metro screen has 1 tile - desktop lol

the apps etc are a load of balls

How did you manage to get rid of all the other tiles?
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member

All this criticism and you have no idea how any of it works????
    Unbelievable!.........:rolleyes:
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unpin from start one by one.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »

cnbcwatcher doesn't actually use Windows 8, he just likes to ridicule it. It think there's a word for people like that...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »

Well I have a fair idea of how it works but I didn't know you could remove tiles from the Start screen. I'm sure there are a lot of others who don't know that either.
    Stig wrote: »
    cnbcwatcher doesn't actually use Windows 8, he just likes to ridicule it. It think there's a word for people like that...

Actually that should be "she likes to ridicule it." I'm a girl in case people don't know ;)
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Well I have a fair idea of how it works but I didn't know you could remove tiles from the Start screen. I'm sure there are a lot of others who don't know that either.

Well it's one of the very basics and having a basic knowledge of the product would give some credence to criticism.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love a good crossword so this has got me scratching my head.

Can you give me a clue? Number of letters and maybe fill in a couple of letters for me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love a good crossword so this has got me scratching my head.

Can you give me a clue? Number of letters and maybe fill in a couple of letters for me?
    As cnbcwatcher is apparently a girl, it's a word that rhymes with 'doll' :p
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? "Realist" doesn't rhyme with "doll".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think I'm being a bit thick here. I've worked my way through the alphabet and not getting it.

Can I have the answer please? If it's too rude please pm as it has become like an itch I can't scratch :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Eh? "Realist" doesn't rhyme with "doll".
    OK, I'm going to stop now before this turns into personal abuse.

I don't like Windows 8 either, but I'm not going to use every opportunity to slag it off.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only after you muck around with it and sort it out. Every time software is installed a load of tiles turn up. I know that happens in the start menu, but at least they are in one place.

Like andersonsonson, my metro only had one tile, now Metro don't even exist on my computer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Unpin from start one by one.

you can unpin them all at once, just select them all and then unpin.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Only after you muck around with it and sort it out. Every time software is installed a load of tiles turn up. I know that happens in the start menu, but at least they are in one place.

Like andersonsonson, my metro only had one tile, now Metro don't even exist on my computer.

But a lot of us like the tiles and we can tidy them up, remove if we don't, do you have to keep on repeating your tile/start button diatribe:confused:

Surface Pro is coming :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But a lot of us like the tiles and we can tidy them up, remove if we don't, do you have to keep on repeating your tile/start button diatribe:confused:

And a lot of us don't like tiles. i only repeat as it came up on this thread.
    Surface Pro is coming :D

And?

if you want to pay over the odds for a laptop then do so. I don't even like laptops, so why should care?

I got my Laptop a few years back because I thought I would use it, but 99% of the time I use this desktop.

i think after looking at what Ms is doing with the Xbox, I would not risk getting one of their computers.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The desktop is but unless you install a third party utility like Classic Shell you can't avoid the Duplo tiles. Anyone seen Micro Mart magazine this week? They have a big article about Windows 8 and why it's been consigned to the tech scrapheap by many. I didn't buy it though. Has anyone managed to get Windows 8 running on a Mac?
    Yep it works fine. Especially good with a large trackpad.
  • Options
    Shaun_MurrayShaun_Murray Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I see the Windows 8 Police are here (neo_wales).

I really hope you get paid well for all this ass-kissing of the new UI.

The Metro start screen is steaming pile of waste.
    The start menu is meant be be a menu in the desktop environment, allowing you to open programmes in the main Desktop environment.
    Not a separate environment that you switch too and then switch back from to load an application.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the Windows 8 Police are here (neo_wales).

I really hope you get paid well for all this ass-kissing of the new UI.

The Metro start screen is steaming pile of waste.
    The start menu is meant be be a menu in the desktop environment, allowing you to open programmes in the main Desktop environment.
    Not a separate environment that you switch too and then switch back from to load an application.

No it's not. It's supposed to be a shortcut menu to quickly access applications and view a list of all installed applications on the PC.

All Microsoft have done is redefine and enhance that and people have thrown their toys out of the proverbial pram.

I do really wonder whether most of the "detractors" even use or understand how Windows 8 actually works. It's not rocket science. What do these people do when they start new jobs that run different systems than they are accustomed to? Do they also complain and throw their toys out of the pram about that because the layout is different..? :D

A very bizarre attitude. If one has used Windows 8 and doesn't like it, then nothing is stopping anyone from just reverting back to Windows 7. This Windows 8 "hate" bandwagon is so full up, the wheels have broken off.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    No it's not. It's supposed to be a shortcut menu to quickly access applications and view a list of all installed applications on the PC.

All Microsoft have done is redefine and enhance that and people have thrown their toys out of the proverbial pram.

I do really wonder whether most of the "detractors" even use or understand how Windows 8 actually works. It's not rocket science. What do these people do when they start new jobs that run different systems than they are accustomed to? Do they also complain and throw their toys out of the pram about that because the layout is different..? :D

A very bizarre attitude. If one has used Windows 8 and doesn't like it, then nothing is stopping anyone from just reverting back to Windows 7. This Windows 8 "hate" bandwagon is so full up, the wheels have broken off.

I don't 'hate' windows 8 I just find the implementation very misguided and it's awkward to use for power users. having the full screen launcher take over an entire screen is annoying and the charm bar is annoying with multi monitors All I need is to have an option to disable it. I feel sorry for the kernel developers as they've done a really good job under the hood.

Anyway Microsoft are big boys and if they don't come up with the goods then they are going to get criticism.

The industry have given it such a bad reception that it looks like Microsoft are being forced to do a 'U' turn on it anyhow.
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I don't 'hate' windows 8 I just find the implementation very misguided and it's awkward to use for power users. having the full screen launcher take over an entire screen is annoying and the charm bar is annoying with multi monitors All I need is to have an option to disable it. I feel sorry for the kernel developers as they've done a really good job under the hood.

Anyway Microsoft are big boys and if they don't come up with the goods then they are going to get criticism.

The industry have given it such a bad reception that it looks like Microsoft are being forced to do a 'U' turn on it anyhow.

Define power user? I'm a full time Windows dev, I have a powerful laptop that docks to two monitors and I generally have a lot of programs open at a time. Do you consider me a power user?

I don't find anything wrong with Win8 at all, I don't understand your point about the charms bar on multli monitors at all, I haven't found it a problem at all.

In terms of productivity, I'm no more or less productive in Win8 than I was in Win7. If anything Powershell just gets better and better when you need to administer and automate tasks on Windows machines.