MP online only games - no SP campaign. Could this be the future of 'some' MP games ?.

ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is this the future for some FPS ?. As most of us know, Titanfall has no SP campaign but if the likes of CoD and Battlefield had no SP campaign either would gamers still buy these games. I see it as most of us buy these games to play the MP side of it and that's what we're paying for, the MP experience.

Destiny and The Division could be another 2 games that don't have nor need a SP campaign.

What are your thoughts on this subject ?. Do CoD, Battlefield and other MP FPS need a SP campaign ?.

MP only games. Is this the future for the likes of the CoD and Battlefield games 46 votes

Yes - These games require no SP campaign
43%
The_OneHetalScooterwolfdarren221980dazzy71Matt DHe4rt[Deleted User]Flawed-Tacticsblitzben85Paino1977SpeedloafervagbreathAkimboGeordie[Deleted User]homer2012[Deleted User]brbNathers7ixHellstormx 20 votes
No - I like to play both
54%
[Deleted User]GARETH197901kimindexscooby1970stefmeisterEcho1Hotbird[Deleted User]Sick BulletGormondBestergds1972[Deleted User]CaltonfanTommyNookamred2000CoenSuperAPJMsLurkerVast_Girth 25 votes
Don't know / not sure
2%
PinSarla 1 vote

Comments

• SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - I like to play both
    I only buy games that feature multiplayer as a main thing once they are super cheap. I wouldn't buy a game that was just multiplayer and i'm sure there are thousands more who wouldn't as well. Making it tailored for just multiplayer would be detrimental to their profits.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Publishers know that players aren't idiotic enough to pay AAA premium prices for an MP-only game when MP-only games rely entirely on their community for longevity, so they add on a half assed campaign to cover themselves, and people fall for it every ****ing year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    If COD, for example, came in different versions say £20 campaign, £20 MP or £40 full game it would be interesting to see what the pick up would be.

My only fear with MP only games is if they come out as F2P titles *shudder* not a fan at all of that
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Mp only is the way forward, i mean cod ghosts used alot of scenes from mw2 which shows creators are lazy and running out of ideas plus its cheaper to use old footage with new colours and costumes.

SP games need a good storyline!
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All my friends online all give the single player a try, but if you compare hours of SP V hours of MP the MP dwarves it by some distance.

If the MP is good enough to stand alone then is fine. Its just the last COD MP's have been terrible and Battlefield was a disaster.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - I like to play both
    I'd prefer it if they released a multiplayer game at a reduced RRP for example £19.99 and skip the single player campaign completely. COD and BF4 both have tacked on SP campaigns with silly storylines so it would make sense to me just for them to sell them as MP only. I wouldn't pay full price for it as MP only though.

Sony did it with the digital version of Warhawk and I got quite a bit of usage out of that one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - I like to play both
    Hope not. I'm not a fan of MP. It's why I've cancelled my Titanfall preorder. I much prefer a SP option.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - I like to play both
    I enjoy single player gaming. I buy games for the single player mode if it has an online mode I often try it out and have really got into quite a few but I would not buy a game solely for online. Too many online games die after a matter of months leaving you with a worthless game if its online only.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I enjoy single player gaming. I buy games for the single player mode if it has an online mode I often try it out and have really got into quite a few but I would not buy a game solely for online. Too many online games die after a matter of months leaving you with a worthless game if its online only.

Some don't even last months, and that is the danger. If you buy a MP only game and its garbage or bug ridden which is the norm these days, you are going to be sitting there pissed off.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    No - I like to play both
    As much as I am a fan of MP on games like CoD I wouldn't buy it without a single player mode
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about you guys but I know that myself without suitable 'training' from SP, I would get absolutely reamed on MP!
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    I'd prefer it if they released a multiplayer game at a reduced RRP for example £19.99 and skip the single player campaign completely. COD and BF4 both have tacked on SP campaigns with silly storylines so it would make sense to me just for them to sell them as MP only. I wouldn't pay full price for it as MP only though.

Sony did it with the digital version of Warhawk and I got quite a bit of usage out of that one!

I'd go for the reduced RRP for a MP only game. The last 8 FPS I bought (modern warfare, mod 2, mod 3, BlOps, BlOps 2, BF3, BF4 and now Ghosts) I never really bothered about the SP side of them. All the fun (if you can call it that) is with MP with these games. Iv'e clocked up thousands of hours (most of those being with the modern series) of MP but less than 3 hours in SP campaign in all these games put together.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With games like Battlefield and CoD, I think it would actually be beneficial for them to drop single player campaigns. Let's be honest, WHO actually buys these games for the single player?! Slashing the single player allows them more development time and money to throw at multiplayer. It will benefit 99.9% of their players.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - I like to play both
    I'd go for the reduced RRP for a MP only game. The last 8 FPS I bought (modern warfare, mod 2, mod 3, BlOps, BlOps 2, BF3, BF4 and now Ghosts) I never really bothered about the SP side of them. All the fun (if you can call it that) is with MP with these games. Iv'e clocked up thousands of hours of MP but less than 3 hours in SP campaign in all these games put together.

I haven't enjoyed the online mode in COD since COD4. I buy them for the single player when they go cheap and also for the co-op spec ops and zombies modes.

Battlefield I do buy for the online though. But saying that if the developers just played to the strengths of the franchise I think they could create an awesome single player game. Bad Company 1 was a nice start but after that DICE just chased a COD clone rather than setting themselves apart.

I bought Bad Company 1 for the single player and then rediscovered my love for the BF franchise, without single player to draw me in I would never have bought the sequels for their multiplayer.

In the digital market places I would be interested to see these publisher play around with splitting the content up. But if COD did go online only still with its elite program they should drop the annual release and instead should only have one online game which you buy updates for each year.

So to use this generation as an example, COD4 gets release, MW2 is an addon pack, as is BLops and MW3 ect and I can jump between the packs I have which would keep some of the older games and maps alive long into the generation all over one profile.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - I like to play both
    I've often wondered whether it's an age thing regarding preference for SP over MP. I've got over 20 years of gaming behind me when the only time you could play MP was if your friend came round and you had a spare controller or 2. Even to this day I prefer local MP to online but I buy nearly all of my games for the SP anyway, the only exception being Battlefield which I bought for both.
    Gaming is a time for me to relax and play at my own pace whereas the vast majority of MP games seem to be frantic 'adrenaline' rushes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    I've often wondered whether it's an age thing regarding preference for SP over MP. I've got over 20 years of gaming behind me when the only time you could play MP was if your friend came round and you had a spare controller or 2. Even to this day I prefer local MP to online but I buy nearly all of my games for the SP anyway, the only exception being Battlefield which I bought for both.
    Gaming is a time for me to relax and play at my own pace whereas the vast majority of MP games seem to be frantic 'adrenaline' rushes.

Don't get me wrong, I still like to play SP campaign on certain games. I too like to sit and relax and game at my own pace but just not with games such as CoD and BF. I have over 30 years of gaming behind me and most of that was SP but with current gen and next gen gaming, it seems to be all about the online MP experience with FPS and some driving games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    With games like Battlefield and CoD, I think it would actually be beneficial for them to drop single player campaigns. Let's be honest, WHO actually buys these games for the single player?! Slashing the single player allows them more development time and money to throw at multiplayer. It will benefit 99.9% of their players.

agreed :)
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If say cod drops single player but still wants to charge same price then I want double the amount of mp maps
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Online Multi-player only isn't anything new, single players games will always be there.

But I'm more of a single player gamer, I even like playing through the call of duty and Battlefield single player, if games became multi-player games only (which they won't), I'll call it quits on gaming.

Also Titanfall does have a story mode, but it's been put in the multi-player.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - I like to play both
    Don't get me wrong, I still like to play SP campaign on certain games. I too like to sit and relax and game at my own pace but just not with games such as CoD and BF. I have over 30 years of gaming behind me and most of that was SP but with current gen and next gen gaming, it seems to be all about the online MP experience with FPS and some driving games.

I also have over 30 years gaming experience (recent birthday put me closer to 40 than 30 :o ) but it's only in the last 10 years or so that online gaming has been available to me.
    Championship Manager on the Amiga almost turned me into hermit so I think I've always just preferred the 'me' time involved in gaming and now I have a family I value it even more. .
    I still enjoy MP but it's only really sports games as they can be played with your friends on the same console.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bf started out as mp only.

Why would mp only be cheaper?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - I like to play both
    Bf started out as mp only.

Why would mp only be cheaper?

On a game like COD which usually comes as a package of Campaign, Co-op and multiplayer. If they cut out the campaign and co-op and only supply the same multiplayer as normal then why shouldn't it be cheaper. You are getting ⅔ less content as a multiplayer only game.
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    On a game like COD which usually comes as a package of Campaign, Co-op and multiplayer. If they cut out the campaign and co-op and only supply the same multiplayer as normal then why shouldn't it be cheaper. You are getting ⅔ less content as a multiplayer only game.

But on the flip side why should SP only games be full price?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - I like to play both
    Hetal wrote: »
    But on the flip side why should SP only games be full price?

I don't think a lot of them should be. A lot of single player games struggle at full price but soon start flying off the shelves when retailers lower the price to £20-£30. I think the one price fits all model is out of date.
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    I don't think a lot of them should be. A lot of single player games struggle at full price but soon start flying off the shelves when retailers lower the price to £20-£30. I think the one price fits all model is out of date.

Agreed. I think it is outdated.

But see it from a business point of view. The AAA budgets are becoming insane. They need to sell millions just to break even. Now could you imagine if they slashed their prices by 50%? They would need to double their sales just to break even and it's hard already.

I think sooner or later it's gonna collapse. They can't keep this up surely?