Options

MIfi on a moving vehicle?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
Forum Member
Anyone used Mifi on a moving vehicle, eg. a coach?

If so, how reliable was the connection?

Comments

• Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this not how all these bus companies operate their wifi on the bus services effectively? I assume it works just like any phone so long as it can get network coverage. Probably best with external ariel though.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone used Mifi on a moving vehicle, eg. a coach?

If so, how reliable was the connection?

I used my 4g MiFi on the train today to download music and it worked perfectly its an Alcatel Onetouch pay as you go I unlocked and use with a three sim. It's a great device. It works great in the car too no problems at all. When your not in a 4g area it automatically goes to 3G+. EE do a car MiFi but it's a rip off. All the EE MiFi devices are a rip off.
  • Options
    Monster900Monster900 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I used my 4g MiFi on the train today to download music and it worked perfectly its an Alcatel Onetouch pay as you go I unlocked and use with a three sim. It's a great device. It works great in the car too no problems at all. When your not in a 4g area it automatically goes to 3G+. EE do a car MiFi but it's a rip off. All the EE MiFi devices are a rip off.

I didn't think 3 allowed tethering on their PAYG plan?
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monster900 wrote: »

I bought the dongle pay as you go and unlocked it. I pay £12 a month for 15 gig of Internet on a sim to put in the dongle it's a pay monthly contract.
  • Options
    arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    I have a 3G MiFi and in the past had a Samba SIM (ran over 3) and now an EE SIM.
    As with most mobile technology it's down to the coverage. You go from having great signal to 2G or even nothing. Impossible for me to listen non-stop to internet radio on my daily commute between Newark and Lincoln (even worse on the train) on both networks (and dreadful with Vodafone which my mobile is on).
    The main flaw with MiFis which I had in December is that your mobile thinks it's an uncapped wifi connection and will download updates without a care. So make sure you are aware of your allowances.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monster900 wrote: »

I believe there is a T&C on tethering to PCs, but I've never had a problem with my Xperia tablet, which is 'recognised' as a mobile phone.

A couple of months ago my wife watched an entire tennis match on Sky Go whilst driving from Oxfordshire to Devon. Only lost the signal momentarily a couple of times.

Also, had no problem in France and Italy tethering to my tablet.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    A couple of months ago my wife watched an entire tennis match on Sky Go whilst driving from Oxfordshire to Devon.

I hope your wife wasn't the one driving:o