Food Fussiness

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
Forum Member
✭✭
I cannot stand carrots if they are simply cut into rounds. Ideally I prefer to eat them cubed very small (and realistically that would only be in my own cooking). I can eat them mashed and sort of tolerate them halved and cut lengthways roasted. Grated in salads is fine too. But yeah, circular cross sections of carrot are just horrible for me.

Sandwiches I prefer to eat if cut into triangles. I wish EAT would cut their sandwiches into triangles! I eat them anyway but I know if they were cut differently I would enjoy them more.

Which stupid fussy food habits do you possess?

Comments

• Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    I have to eat cereal with a teaspoon

Bananas need to be firm and green and I only ear them sliced. I love them like that try getting me to eat one straight from the skin that has the merest black spot or any squidge of ripeness and I hate them.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    None at all, eat anything me.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not fussy at all. There are a few things that I simply don't like the taste of, sprouts, bananas, nuts and dried fruit like raisins/sultanas. Anything else I'm good with, I've never come across any meat or seafood I don't like and I'd happily try anything, I don't think there's an animal I wouldn't eat.
    Whilst I understand people not liking the taste or even texture of something I can't understand what difference a sandwich being triangular or square makes, that seems a bit childish to me.
    Those people that are really fussy about meat and won't eat something because "Rabbits are cute" or "It's like eating Bambi" irritate me quite a bit.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother will only eat two shapes of pasta: Spaghetti broken up into about 2 inch lengths or fusilli. She claims not to like the other shapes
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I'm not fussy at all. There are a few things that I simply don't like the taste of, sprouts, bananas, nuts and dried fruit like raisins/sultanas. Anything else I'm good with, I've never come across any meat or seafood I don't like and I'd happily try anything, I don't think there's an animal I wouldn't eat.
    Whilst I understand people not liking the taste or even texture of something I can't understand what difference a sandwich being triangular or square makes, that seems a bit childish to me.
    Those people that are really fussy about meat and won't eat something because "Rabbits are cute" or "It's like eating Bambi" irritate me quite a bit.
    I kind of did suggest in the OP that it doesn't make any sense…

And I might irritate you further by saying I have the exact opposite problem with eating cute animals. I can eat cute animals (especially deer, they are so pretty and taste marvellous), but I cannot eat really ugly ones. Eels, catfish, snails - too ugly when alive so I won't eat them.
  • spectraspectra Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of did suggest in the OP that it doesn't make any sense…

And I might irritate you further by saying I have the exact opposite problem with eating cute animals. I can eat cute animals (especially deer, they are so pretty and taste marvellous), but I cannot eat really ugly ones. Eels, catfish, snails - too ugly when alive so I won't eat them.

:D

If you were told that something was really delicious would you still not try it if it was ugly?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    None anymore I don't think.

Went through a funny stage when little of not being able to face up to eating swedes at home. I would actually gag when I tried so mum stopped putting them on my plate.
    However at school I would happily eat swedes in whatever form, cubed, mashed, in soup etc.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have real bad OCD food issues.

I don't like certain things touching, sauces for example cannot touch at all. Mashed potatoes another thing I hate touching other food. I really can't explain it, it just freaks me out and makes me feel sick. I get quite nervous when out eating as I have to second guess how a place will serve the food, I've had it on occasions where I've had to leave a big part of a meal because I didn't like how it was presented. I'm very lucky that my fella understands my weirdness about food. I really do wish I could get a whole load of food, slop it on a plate not caring what touched what but I can't, the thought of it makes me feel very anxious and sick, I'd probably have a breakdown of presented with it and forced to eat it
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mother will only eat two shapes of pasta: Spaghetti broken up into about 2 inch lengths or fusilli. She claims not to like the other shapes
    Haha, my mom's a bit funny with pasta too. She'll eat spaghetti and macaroni, she thinks fusilli looks like bugs or something.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Tomato Ketchup

Don't like it on chips. Generally don't like sauce on chips. Salt on fries and salt & vinegar on chips.

Ketchup on bacon/sausage sandwiches, burgers and hotdogs but even if having chips on the same plate i'd not want the ketchup on the chips.

Also for a fry up/all day breakfast where I might have bacon, sausage, beans and chips/hash browns on the plate. I'd be happy to squirt a bit of ketchup or brown sauce over all the items apart from the chips, even though i'd be eating all the items in the same mouthful.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My list of food fussiness is legion. It's a texture thing for me. So mayonnaise in sandwiches - no, makes me gag. Yet I like coleslaw.

Also, jelly on its own, yes. Custard on its own, yes. Cake on its own, yes. Trifle - god no. WAY too much going on in that.

Re: the ketchup thing, I like ketchup to dip in, but don't like it spread over stuff.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I simply can't eat roast chicken without bread sauce, and it has to be home made.

I'd rather go hungry than have roast chicken or turkey with cranberry sauce
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    I cannot eat sandwiches or toast if I have seen them being prepared by someone else. If they are prepared "behind the scenes" I can eat them. However, I can never, ever eat toast that has been buttered by someone else - it makes me want to gag.

I hate the texture of jelly-type foods, as well as alcohol in desserts.

Sauces cannot go ON food, they have to come WITH it.

I can't eat something passed to me from someone else's plate and if anyone takes something from my plate I cannot eat the rest.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was in the Priory, one of the rules was that when they served up our main puddings (crumble and custard/ice-cream, pie and ice-cream, cheesecake and ice-cream, summer pudding and ice-cream, fruit salad and ice-cream, eton mess and ice-cream, whatever...), we had to put our ice-cream (often served in a separate bowl as it was kept in the freezer longer) into the bowl with the rest of the pudding. I hate it. I would always prefer to eat the ice-cream first separately, then the rest of it, I don't like the mixture of melting ice-cream on puddings! I like it to be separate.

And although it's not 'fussiness' as such, I eat my meals by eating one thing at a time (e.g. all mushrooms first, then all carrots, then all chicken, then all rice or something). They always class that as a 'behaviour' there, and it drove me mad!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    When I was in the Priory, one of the rules was that when they served up our main puddings (crumble and custard/ice-cream, pie and ice-cream, cheesecake and ice-cream, summer pudding and ice-cream, fruit salad and ice-cream, eton mess and ice-cream, whatever...), we had to put our ice-cream (often served in a separate bowl as it was kept in the freezer longer) into the bowl with the rest of the pudding. I hate it. I would always prefer to eat the ice-cream first separately, then the rest of it, I don't like the mixture of melting ice-cream on puddings! I like it to be separate.

And although it's not 'fussiness' as such, I eat my meals by eating one thing at a time (e.g. all mushrooms first, then all carrots, then all chicken, then all rice or something). They always class that as a 'behaviour' there, and it drove me mad
    !

I quite often do that. I eat all my vegetables first so they're out the way! I read somewhere that's a good way of eating healthily as you ensure you eat the nutritious bit in case you don't finish your plate. I was baffled by the concept of not finishing a plate of food.
    Forum Member
    I quite often do that. I eat all my vegetables first so they're out the way! I read somewhere that's a good way of eating healthily as you ensure you eat the nutritious bit in case you don't finish your plate. I was baffled by the concept of not finishing a plate of food.
    Would it be better to stuff yourself and make yourself feel sick or actually vomit or stop when you feel full and leave some food on the plate?
    I know which I would prefer so it doesn't bother me when people say i'm wasting food.
    If in a restaurant I usually put the napkin over unfinished plates as for some reason the staff feel they need to ask why I haven't finished.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot stand carrots if they are simply cut into rounds. Ideally I prefer to eat them cubed very small (and realistically that would only be in my own cooking). I can eat them mashed and sort of tolerate them halved and cut lengthways roasted. Grated in salads is fine too. But yeah, circular cross sections of carrot are just horrible for me.

Sandwiches I prefer to eat if cut into triangles. I wish EAT would cut their sandwiches into triangles! I eat them anyway but I know if they were cut differently I would enjoy them more.

Which stupid fussy food habits do you possess?

None, I'm an adult.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm curious, how does she eat it when it's too short to wrap around a fork?
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Would it be better to stuff yourself and make yourself feel sick or actually vomit or stop when you feel full and leave some food on the plate?
    I know which I would prefer so it doesn't bother me when people say i'm wasting food.
    If in a restaurant I usually put the napkin over unfinished plates as for some reason the staff feel they need to ask why I haven't finished.

As far as I'm concerned if I'm eating out in a restaurant I'm the one paying for the food so I can do what I like with it, bugger what the staff think.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    I'm curious, how does she eat it when it's too short to wrap around a fork?

I expect they don't eat it like that.
    I always cut spaghetti up and eat it with a spoon.

/philistine
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    None, I'm an adult.

Good answer.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

Does that happen to you a lot? I haven't got a very big appetite and I often leave a bit of food, but I've very rarely been asked why I haven't finished, as if I were a small child. It's rather rude, unless you've left a lot and they're concerned that the food was not up to scratch.
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    It's rather rude, unless you've left a lot and they're concerned that the food was not up to scratch.
    I think that is behind it. They ask in different ways. Sometimes asking if everything was ok with the meal because I might have only eaten half.

I think it's the mentality of if you're out paying for food you would stuff your face rather than waste anything.
    Maybe in the past I would have done that but these days I would rather not make myself sick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh I have no problem with people not finishing food! I just don't think I've ever not finished a plate of food! I can be a bottomless pit at times.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate plain tomatoes, but love sundried ones, tomato sauces, ketchup etc.