Options

School bans girls from wearing skirts because it's 'distracting for male teachers'

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
Forum Member
The head mistress as banned school skirts because it's to distracting for male teachers, a crazy decision. If she had stated it's distracting for teachers in general maybe she could argue her point, however she seems to be suggesting that male teachers are looking at the girls in a unprofessional manner and are basically perving.

Personally I would have hated to not be given a choice of trousers or skirts when I was at school, especially on hot summer days.

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citation needed.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    "Some male pupils also complained short skirts detracted from lessons".

Bollo*ks!
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dint see the point in the article. For once the DM failed to find idiot parents in uproar. Most seemed reasoned, and clearly thought "what's the big deal?". Aye this BAN EVERYTHING waves getting out of hand but in one (of many :/) schools I went to they banned hair dye and make up, and trousers for girls. The uniform was VILE but it was known before I attended so it's a case of suck it up. Plus all these people going on about "oh in this hear". How many schools do you know who let's lads wear shorts, or for the grown ups...offices?
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebecca19 wrote: »
    The head mistress as banned school skirts because it's to distracting for male teachers, a crazy decision. If she had stated it's distracting for teachers in general maybe she could argue her point, however she seems to be suggesting that male teachers are looking at the girls in a unprofessional manner and are basically perving.

Personally I would have hated to not be given a choice of trousers or skirts when I was at school, especially on hot summer days.

The should not be in the looking in the vicinity of jail bait short skirts or not.
    JimothyD wrote: »
    "Some male pupils also complained short skirts detracted from lessons".

Bollo*ks!

I know no heterosexual teenage boy in the history of mankind has ever made such a statement. Can you imagine the ribbing from your male classmates.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member

No they don't, it's just an incompetent head teacher who is unable to manage her pupils properly - like 99.99% of other head teachers manage to do perfectly well without imposing such draconian restrictions on choice.

If I were from OFSTED, that school would now be on my list for the next batch of surprise inspections, if she can't handle this simple matter, what other problems can't she find a reasonable solution to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The should not be in the looking in the vicinity of jail bait short skirts or not.

Dude if their asses are in their faces,walking up stairs for example then what? They're meant to stab their eyes out? They're not saying "oohhhh yeah I love it!" They're supporting the fact the girls shouldn't be in such short skirts and trousers would stop that. I'd guess they feel proper uncomfortable seeing the happy meals on display as would any right minded adult.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, pupils should dress for school not dress for clubbing. It's much the same in any professional environment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Fair enough, pupils should dress for school not dress for clubbing. It's much the same in any professional environment.

So the school should manage it in a reasonable manner, like nearly all other schools seem able to do perfectly well. "Why can't they manage it reasonably, like the other 98.5% of secondary schools?" is the question we should be asking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    So the school should manage it, like nearly all other schools seem able to do perfectly well. "Why can't they?" is the question we should be asking.

Er....they are? That's why they've said to manage the issue you'll now have to wear trousers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    Er....they are? That's why they've said to manage the issue you'll now have to wear trousers.

Reasonably is the key, I inadvertently omitted that important word and you beat the edit. Skirt banning is draconian and is done by a mere 1.5% of secondary schools, the others seem to be able to manage it perfectly well without resorting to such restrictive measures.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Islamic State have a ridiculous attitude toward women don't they?
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son goes to this school and some of the girls look a right state, skirts up to their arses, really inappropriate. My preference would be that they just ensure the girls wear a reasonable length skirt but, if the parents can't enforce this, I don't see the school has any other option.
  • Options
    happygirl22happygirl22 Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    Typical DM crap
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    how times change, we were not allowed to wear trousers and we used to fold our waistbands over till our skirts were just as short 40 odd years ago.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    My son goes to this school and some of the girls look a right state, skirts up to their arses, really inappropriate. My preference would be that they just ensure the girls wear a reasonable length skirt but, if the parents can't enforce this, I don't see the school has any other option.

The parents usually buy the reasonable length skirts, but as Annette points out, they roll up the waistband as soon as they are out of their parents' eyesight. Girls have been wearing short skirts for ages, I don't see why it's such an issue now.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. If its a constant issue thats affecting both students trying to learn and teachers trying to teach then it makes sense to solve the problem.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical DM crap

Typical anti DM comment. It's a true story so what's your bloody problem? No actual thoughts on the issue? Thought not.
    My view? Girls have always done this and if that is the only way to combat it then it serves them right. It WOULD be distracting for any straight male teacher (well certainly with the older girls), so, yes, ban them or insist on tights with them.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebecca19 wrote: »

I think schools are very, very unhealthily obsessed with what pupils actually wear. There's a creepy and pervy overtone to what they are saying here. I mean, just what are they implying with the male teachers - that they're sitting there getting a stiffy because of what the girl's wear?

At the end of the day, the kids are there to learn, not to be subject to control freakery over other aspects of their lives.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many schools do you know who let's lads wear shorts, or for the grown ups...offices?

Shorts are allowed at the office where I'm based. They issued an all-staff email during a heatwave a few years ago saying shorts were ok as long as they weren't sports shorts or beachwear.

There have been plenty of people wearing them this week.

The dress code is pretty relaxed though. If you go in looking smart, people suspect you have an interview! Even the directors don't wear ties or suits most of the time. The finance director is very scruffy - old chinos and a casual shirt most days, he looks like he's just popped indoors from doing a bit of gardening.
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I think schools are very, very unhealthily obsessed with what pupils actually wear. There's a creepy and pervy overtone to what they are saying here. I mean, just what are they implying with the male teachers - that they're sitting there getting a stiffy because of what the girl's wear?

At the end of the day, the kids are there to learn, not to be subject to control freakery over other aspects of their lives.

There is a creepy and pervy overtone to the newspapers reporting of this story, not the school! The school have said that challenging the girls puts male teachers in a difficult position. A teenage boy and Daily Mail reporter are the ones that took the pervy line not the school! If a teacher male or female has to spend the first part of every lesson challenging girls about their skirts and no doubt dealing with rude responses to that then it is distracted and prevents the class from learning and needs to be managed - which is exactly what this headteacher has done.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Equality in action. Excellent.
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentorist wrote: »
    There is a creepy and pervy overtone to the newspapers reporting of this story, not the school! The school have said that challenging the girls puts male teachers in a difficult position. A teenage boy and Daily Mail reporter are the ones that took the pervy line not the school! If a teacher male or female has to spend the first part of every lesson challenging girls about their skirts and no doubt dealing with rude responses to that then it is distracted and prevents the class from learning and needs to be managed - which is exactly what this headteacher has done.

The Daily Mail seems to get blamed for whatever they report. Still, it is nice to have a scapegoat isn't it?
  • Options
    Bar Bar JinksBar Bar Jinks Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    No they don't, it's just an incompetent head teacher who is unable to manage her pupils properly - like 99.99% of other head teachers manage to do perfectly well without imposing such draconian restrictions on choice.

If I were from OFSTED, that school would now be on my list for the next batch of surprise inspections, if she can't handle this simple matter, what other problems can't she find a reasonable solution to?

It's already happened.
    A SCHOOL which parents and pupils fought to save four years ago has been branded 'inadequate' by inspectors.

The Ofsted report, due to be published this week, identifies 'serious weaknesses' at Trentham High, including in its teaching standards and levels of pupil progress.

But the school said today its new headteacher, Rowena Blencowe, had already identified problem areas and drew up an action plan to address these issues.

Deputy headteacher, Lance Morris, said: "Since Dr Blencowe took over, she has established a number of requirements to do with improving standards.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Damning-Ofsted-report-Trentham-High/story-19770776-detail/story.html
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the headmistress likes to send out the message that all men are lecherous and potential paedophiles too.
    I'd say this is grounds for misconduct and perhaps her replacement.