Benefits By the Sea, Jaywick Street. Channel 5 9pm tonight

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd sooner live in a chalet by a beautiful beach than in an inner city highrise council block.
  • best boybest boy Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG she's smoking at 14. rolleyes.

Is she his daughter or girlfriend?

Probably his mother. :D
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,157
    Forum Member
    The amount that the BTL landlord for rent was charging raised an eyebrow for me. £600 a month for a two bed bungalow, paid for by housing benefit of course, seemed a bit high considering it's such a s**t area. For that you can get a nice 2 bed semi with offroad parking where I live.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three pages on this trash - I can see why C5's schedules are clogged with this kind of garbage.
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Three pages on this trash - I can see why C5's schedules are clogged with this kind of garbage.

Well done for another sparkling contribution
  • Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a cheap weeks holiday at Jaywick in 1964. Even then it was hardly Palm Beach, and we never did it again. My main memory is of the constant stream of summer '64 hits being played by the night club across the square. I can never hear the Stones It's All Over Now without being reminded of the place. A previous poster said it was illegal for 14 year olds to smoke. It isn't, it's illegal for 14 year olds to buy cigarettes, which is not the same thing. If these people think they are living in poverty they should spend some time in Africa. Some people think poverty is not having two smart phones and a Sky subscription.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    Well done for another sparkling contribution

They have a point.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Ah good, another, everyone on benefits is a no good scrounger programme.
    too poor to pay the rent but the teenage girls always manage to afford the £500 iphone dont worry about a roof over your head
    They won't have paid £500 though, the phones will be on a contract for £25 a month, which I know is £25 a month they could spend on food, but in reality if they didn't have a contract they'd be spending twice that on top-ups for pay as you go.
  • Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if ever an area genuinely needed this it has to be that area of jaywick, they weren't far wrong when they stated it is similar to a shanty town at least in places.

and no before you all start, i'm not passing judgement on the residents, i'm simply saying that place seriously needs flattened and started from scratch!
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah good, another, everyone on benefits is a no good scrounger programme.

They won't have paid £500 though, the phones will be on a contract for £25 a month, which I know is £25 a month they could spend on food, but in reality if they didn't have a contract they'd be spending twice that on top-ups for pay as you go.

The program wasn't saying this. It is how people have interpreted what the program was saying, mainly because of their own pre-existing beliefs.
  • TaintedmeatTaintedmeat Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That scummy guy who kicked the puppy needs all his dogs taken away from him , I've reported this to rspca and complained.
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Complete propaganda, designed to wind up those not on benefits that only see things as black or white.
  • acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member

Why does that shock you? You must be aware that many people smoke before they're allowed to.

Everyone in the real world knows that.
    Forum Member
    I'd sooner live in a chalet by a beautiful beach than in an inner city highrise council block.

Yes, but not in Jaywick surely?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    acid rain wrote: »
    Why does that shock you? You must be aware that many people smoke before they're allowed to.

Everyone in the real world knows that.

It's called 'feigning shock', like when you feign shock at the realisation that the butler did it.
    Forum Member
    It's called 'feigning shock', like when you feign shock at the realisation that the butler did it.

But why pretend to be shocked if you're not? :confused:
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Half the fun of smoking at 14 is knowing that you shouldn't be. Most girls have a little puff in their early teens. You obviously didn't venture behind the bike sheds all those years ago.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    Half the fun of smoking at 14 is knowing that you shouldn't be. Most girls have a little puff in their early teens. Didn't you ever venture behind the bike sheds all those years ago?

Nope never like the idea of smoking. Couldn't see the point of it, it certainly didn't look hard or cool.

Thankfully none of my friend smoked either. I went out with a girl who smoked but had to split up with her as I wasn't keen on the smell of ash on her clothes and tobacco on her lips.

It is funny seeing people defend smoking, sometimes people don't like to admit somethings are just wrong
  • Sandgrounder1Sandgrounder1 Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barry and Susie, the slum landlords, reminded me of Dog the Bounty Hunter and Beth when they turned up at their tenants' house and went away disappointed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    acid rain wrote: »

Yes, but not in Jaywick surely?

Yes I'd still much rather live in Jaywick than a run down inner city council estate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    Complete propaganda, designed to wind up those not on benefits that only see things as black or white.

I'm not sure it'd wind that many up TBH, it looks like a pretty shitty existence, I don't see that lifestyle anything to be jealous of.
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Yes I'd still much rather live in Jaywick than a run down inner city council estate.

I just had a quick look at Jaywick on Rightmove to see what was for sale. I think you could buy something pretty spectacular by the sea Pumping Iron, prices start at 50K for a nice little detached number.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    I just had a quick look at Jaywick on Rightmove to see what was for sale. I think you could buy something pretty spectacular by the sea Pumping Iron, prices start at 50K for a nice little detached number.

I've checked rightmove myself out of interest a while back when I first heard about the place, but I think I'll pass. I'm rather fond of my house and life here in the East Midlands :)
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    supposedly in "poverty"

but money for
    tatttos
    dogs
    cats
    iphones

God, what a horrible bloke he is. He walks in, starts effing and jeffing and kicks the dog. Didn't treat his wife much better either. And as you say, despite living in squalour he can afford his tattoos etc.
    I was amazed by what I saw in this programme, it looks as if the whole place is a shanty-town.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for Fred, & I totally understand his love of cats - I'm a huge animal lover too, but I recognise that I simply cannot afford to feed 15, hence I have one dog & I did have a cat but she died a few months ago; as I understand things Fred has to live in the caravan rather than the bungalow due to the landlord not wanting 15 cats in the bungalow, now I hate with a passion landlords who do not accept pets at all - but can understand an aversion to 15 in a small place. I suggest that Fred gives up 12 cats (ie keeps 3), I know this will be hard for him, I'm sure a rescue centre would take them in, he also must make sure that the 3 he keeps are neutered/speyed.