Madonna - her most underrated and overrated songs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
Forum Member
✭✭
Ok, a bit of bandwagon jumping! But anyway ..

Underrated - what it feels like for a girl
Overrated - like a virgin

Comments

• ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    I think American life, celebration, get together are all under rated and adore them all

Id probably agree about like a virgin being overated , I feel the same about music
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Deeper & Deeper, This Used To Be My Playground, Rain and The Power Of Goodbye are seriously underrated.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Underrated: drowned world, deeper and deeper
    Overrated: hung up and vogue. If I never hear these two awful songs again ...
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overrated - Hung Up

Underrated - Beautiful Stranger
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overrated - Confessions of a dancefloor era.
    Underrated - Bedtime stories era
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every song from Bedtime Stories is underrated, such a great album, but it is so underrated and not a lot of people seem to like it.
    Overrated, God don't kill me, Like a Prayer, it is good, very good, but for me its a bit all over the place in terms of sound.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Every song from Bedtime Stories is underrated, such a great album, but it is so underrated and not a lot of people seem to like it.
    Overrated, God don't kill me, Like a Prayer, it is good, very good, but for me its a bit all over the place in terms of sound.

Totally agree. IMO, Bedtime Stories is the album that should be considered as her 'masterpiece', but it's never gonna happen now is it?!?!
    Apart from the title track (which I am slowly liking more & more), the whole album just flows beautifully. Love it.
    Personal favourites are 'Secret', 'Inside of Me', 'Human Nature' & 'Love Tried to Welcome Me'.
  • MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Underrated: You'll See, The Power of Goodbye, Bad Girl, Rain & American Life
    Overrated: Vogue, Like A Virgin & Crazy For You

(I've just gone for singles)
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Human Nature is my favourite Madonna song so that's the one i think is very under rated as for me it's far superior to many of her so called classics
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Overrated - Confessions of a dancefloor era.
    Underrated - Bedtime stories era

You're spot on there!

I love BS and imo it never got the praise it deserves whereas Hung Up/COAD is totally overrated!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're spot on there!

I love BS and imo it never got the praise it deserves whereas Hung Up/COAD is totally overrated!

Phew, i was expecting abuse because of how holy the Confessions era is regarded.
  • woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Underrated- Look of love, Cherish, Drowned world, Jump

Overrated- Like a prayer, Material girl, True blue
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under - Get Together, Secret, Jump
    Over - Music
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Underrated - Bedtime Stories, Deeper And Deeper, What It Feels Like For A Girl, Get Together

Overrated - Music
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »

My absolute favourite Madonna album, a real gem.

Also underrated - The Look of Love. A beautiful ballad that not many people know exist.

Overrated - got to be Vogue. Sure it's catchy, but it is overplayed and hasn't stood the test of time very well.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    My absolute favourite Madonna album, a real gem.

Also underrated - The Look of Love. A beautiful ballad that not many people know exist.

Overrated - got to be Vogue. Sure it's catchy, but it is overplayed and hasn't stood the test of time very well.

Vogue to me is one of those songs (like mout of Robbie williams'songs) that is just a load of words put together and doesn't make a pick of sense
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a specific song but the whole American Life era was criminally underrated. At the time it was released I couldn't believe the vitriol it received.

If that album had been a success, I think Madonna would have recorded at least one more album in that vein - sparing us Hard Candy and MDNA. As much as I love Madonna there is at best one short album to be found between the two releases.

*edit I totally forgot that COADF came between AL and HC. So for me I guess that would be the most overrated.
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Overrated - Hung Up, Like a Virgin
    Underrated - Love Profusion, Miles Away
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vogue to me is one of those songs (like mout of Robbie williams'songs) that is just a load of words put together and doesn't make a pick of sense

I don't think Vogue is meant to make sense. It's a song about being on the dancefloor and not having a care in the world. It wasn't set to be a lyrical masterpiece.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the appreciation for Get Together. I'd like her to do more stuff like that.
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Underated Rain, This used to be my playground

Overated Music and especially Like a Prayer never got the love for this song and never will
    Forum Member
    Phew, i was expecting abuse because of how holy the Confessions era is regarded.

I can see what you mean as COAD is very well liked but you won't get abuse off me, I like COAD but it's not one of my faves and I absolutely love BS and Erotica besides True Blue, ROL and LAP.
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Under - Get Together, Secret, Jump
    Over - Music

Jump is one of my faves off that album, the other one is Forbidden Love.
    Forum Member
    woofwoof77 wrote: »
    Underrated- Look of love, Cherish, Drowned world, Jump

Overrated- Like a prayer, Material girl, True blue

I wouldn't say that True Blue was overrated, I think it's rather UNDER-rated as it's only been performed on one of Madonna's tours (WTG) and doesn't get played a lot on radio or tv music nostalgia vintage channels, it's nearly always LAP, LAV, Into The Groove or Material Girl.
  • SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Underrated: Lucky Star, Rain, Bad Girl, Where Life Begins
    Overrated: Like a Virgin, Vogue, Borderline

Just plain terrible: Material Girl