Toppy Newbie

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
Forum Member
Hi,
Just stumbled across adverts for the toppy and thought it looks like an attractive system to replace my DigiHome PVR80 which died last week. Just scanning through this forum looks like there's a little work necessary to set the machine up. I don't mind that but not sure the wife is likely to understand that :( To appease her (I'm sure she'll come round eventually :cool:) I guess my main question is whether the TF5800/5810 will let her record off the EPG out of the box? Makes it easier for me, then I can play with the TAPs etc. as and when (and start copying my MP3s :)).
Sorry for the long post!

Stu

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your talking about getting the tf5800 freeview one and wanting to use it straight out of the box with out installing any TAPS then I'd say no not if an easy EPG is essential.

Mine's a couple of years old now but its got all the updates in it so I dont think its changed yet. You dont get the full EPG up straight away just the individual channel and then you can change to getting all of it but it only shows about four at a time that you'll have to scroll down but the good thing is that you dont loose the picture of what youre watching as it stays in the top half of the screen along with the description of the program thts highlighed.
    The EPG is my only problem with it everything else is by far better than any of the other machines I've got.
    I've never managed to get the TAPS installed and working but then cos I have digiguide on the computer I dont need the EPG for seeing whats on TV just for setting up recordings so I know where I'm heading for. If i was having to find out what was on telly from it then I think I'd miss alot of programs.
  • Brava 210Brava 210 Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    But installing a better EPG takes around 5 minutes, and is totally customisable :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brava 210 wrote: »
    But installing a better EPG takes around 5 minutes, and is totally customisable :)

The couple of times I tried to do it the file was corrupt.
    Anyway as I said I'm happy with using digiguide and then just setting the recordings on the toppy.
    Can you tell me though if when I do finally get round to getting the TAP's working as it was part of the reason I went for the toppy in the first place do you then need to leave it plugged into the computer permenantly to update the epg or once its installed does it then update throught the aerial.
    At the moment I've got the computer attatched to the telly so could leave it plugged in all the time, if the computer would recognise it, but I'll not have it there for much longer.

Still wouldn't change it though as my main machine. The play back functions are far superior and easier to use than anything else I've come across so far. And thats from straight out of the box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Think I'm sold on it but then I enjoy messing about with tech :eek: I guess echoing paddysu's question, which EPG should I download?

Thanks, stu
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can put digiguide on there which is what i was trying to do as at the moment on one side of the tv is the pc and the other side is the toppy and i was getting fed up keep turning the pc on just to see what was on to watch later.

It wasn't until just saying in the above post about how once its installed how does it get updated that it even occured to me. I hardly ever turn that pc on now so if to use digiguide or any of the EPG's via TAP's I'd have to keep turning on the computer it sort of defeats the object for me.
    The people who write those TAPS though are pretty good programers and I'm sure they must have over come it some how. If nothing else then the EPG that comes via the aerial gets turned into a proper one through what i think is the mystuff program.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Think I'm sold on it but then I enjoy messing about with tech :eek: I guess echoing paddysu's question, which EPG should I download?

Thanks, stu

The MyStuff and associated TAPs are certainly the best that I know of. There is a version that contains the complete loader so it takes even less technical knowledge to use. MyStuff turns a good PVR with a poor EPG into a fantastic machine. I wouldn't use anything else. The best part of MyStuff is the control timers which allows the EPG data to be searched as it comes in for matching program names. Once set up a control timer will keep setting programs to be recorded without any further intervention. There are so many options you can customise it to give you a system that suits you.
  • Brava 210Brava 210 Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    paddysu wrote: »
    The couple of times I tried to do it the file was corrupt.
    Anyway as I said I'm happy with using digiguide and then just setting the recordings on the toppy.
    Can you tell me though if when I do finally get round to getting the TAP's working as it was part of the reason I went for the toppy in the first place do you then need to leave it plugged into the computer permenantly to update the epg or once its installed does it then update throught the aerial.
    At the moment I've got the computer attatched to the telly so could leave it plugged in all the time, if the computer would recognise it, but I'll not have it there for much longer.

Still wouldn't change it though as my main machine. The play back functions are far superior and easier to use than anything else I've come across so far. And thats from straight out of the box.

It will update through the Aeriel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Once you've got MyStuff on your Toppy, there's no need for a connection to a PC to download an EPG, it receives the Freeview EPG just like most other boxes. If you do leave it connected though, you can have a 14 day EPG with longer programme descriptions downloaded from Radio Times.
  • AbbeyCrunchAbbeyCrunch Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    The native Toppy EPG is usable, and the firmware we had a couple of years back means that it populates fully in a minute or two. There is even a kind of half-screen grid EPG mode available out of the box. Having said that, it is worth trying out others - I tried a few different EPG's (including a very early MyStuff) I settled upon EPG Navigator and UK AutoScheduler as it suits all my needs.

The most important thing is that I don't think the latest batch of Firmwares are all that good, but you can find out more at http://www.toppy.org.uk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The native Toppy EPG is usable, and the firmware we had a couple of years back means that it populates fully in a minute or two. There is even a kind of half-screen grid EPG mode available out of the box. Having said that, it is worth trying out others - I tried a few different EPG's (including a very early MyStuff) I settled upon EPG Navigator and UK AutoScheduler as it suits all my needs.

The most important thing is that I don't think the latest batch of Firmwares are all that good, but you can find out more at http://www.toppy.org.uk

I've currently got the split channels with the bbc's in the 1000's so I need the latest firmware for that don't I. or is there just a fix for the channels.

I used to get emails from toppy every so often with the latest news but I've changed my email address and updated profile but dont seem to have got any since. Is it just that they aren't doing them any more, I dont see anywhere on the site any more to sign up for them.
  • AbbeyCrunchAbbeyCrunch Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Sounds like this issue with the splitting of the NIT into several parts (all a bit technical for me).

There is a patch, and a pre-patched firmware available at Toppy.org. Just follow the link near the top of the home page. I would suggest getting one of the pre-patched firmwares, the recommended ones are very stable and you should have no problems installing it.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can have a 14 day EPG with longer programme descriptions downloaded from Radio Times.
    (1) Would that work with "accurate recording" or would one have to stick with padding?

(2) Does it show series and episode numbers? (The Freeview EPG very often does not :mad: )

(3) Does it mark programmes "Repeat" when appropriate? (The Freeview EPG never does :mad: )

parthena
    Forum Member
    Well, bit the bullet last night and ordered my toppy - should be here tomorrow and I can't wait!

Should I be looking to upgrade (downgrade?) the firmware out of the box? Guess I'd better register with toppy.org as well :D
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,617
    Forum Member
    parthena wrote: »
    (1) Would that work with "accurate recording" or would one have to stick with padding?
    With the right add on TAPs and patches you can have both.
    Forum Member
    Should I be looking to upgrade (downgrade?) the firmware out of the box? Guess I'd better register with toppy.org as well :D
    Very likely for best results. You guess right. ;)
  • nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're not getting updates, check your account is still valid; we did have a bit of a hiatus with some of the announcements, for various reasons. But also, if you change your forum email, that doesn't change your email address for notifications about software updates - you do that in the 'Your tools' section of the site, which is accessed via the front page.
    Forum Member
    well after a long wait it finally arrived today! Out of the box I had trouble tuning in the channels (well I had the channels but they were all over the place). Downloaded the latest firmware from topfield.co.uk and it found the same number of channels (68) but put them all in the proper order. EPG looks OK actually, the wife managed to set 'enders & corrie OK so looks like I'm off the hook for now!

Gonna mooch about toppy.org and have a look for different EPGs to try though - can't help myself :D
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of the box...EPG looks OK actually
    I prefer the out-of-the-box EPG to the default MyStuff one, I find it easier to read and navigate and an eye-friendlier colour (even though the MyStuff one is similar to my precious Vestel). If you install MyStuff you can still use the ootb EPG, it toggles thru several choices each time you select it.

My printer's on the blink, when I can print the MyStuff manual and take it to bed and have a good read, I'll be able to explore the skins, searches, recording options, etc.

How are you getting on, Stu?

parthena :)
    Forum Member
    You can of course skin the MyStuff one to anything you like. There are many skins other people have designed that you can use or you can make your own. And you can also adjust the number of channels shown and the font size used as well as many other parameters to tweak it to your own preferences.
    Forum Member
    Typically, as soon as the toppy got plugged in, its no longer my toy! The wife has pretty much taken the remote off me, and finding time when there are no recordings scheduled to try installing taps is virtually impossible! Still its working well although seems to miss the odd recording. I'm just told 'enders hasn't recorded or such like-haven't had a chance to look into it. I'm itching to install mystuff for a play though :D
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, what are "TAPS"???
  • WendoleneWendolene Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Hi, what are "TAPS"???

Topfield Application Programs (TAPs).

These are what transform a good PVR into an OUTSTANDING PVR.

There are many different TAPs. The most popular by far, if I may be so bold, is the MyStuff TAP. This is a UI (User Interface) enhancment. I strongly recommend you try it out, if you haven't done so already.

Pop over to http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/ We are a friendly lot over there.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for the answer. :D