Options

GEARS OF WAR 3 thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a lot better than 2. The AI is much improved and graphics and narrative are far superior, it's just awesome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been playing arcade and have to say that it is rather fun too, though one annoying person kept charging and getting killed every few minutes.
    Will definitely do some solo horde and shotgun my way through.

I loved Gears 2 but I honestly think this is way better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ToomaMcC wrote: »
    Urg multiplayer makes me so angry yet I can't stop playing it. Why can't it put all the crap people (like me) into games so we at least can be crap together?

lmao add me if u want XxBlaKOuTZxX im shit @ it too but love the game
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lmao add me if u want XxBlaKOuTZxX im shit @ it too but love the game

Haha I shall, though I warn you my incompetence can be extremely frustrating!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ToomaMcC wrote: »
    Haha I shall, though I warn you my incompetence can be extremely frustrating!

lmao u aint seen nothing Yet m8 lol
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tnt wrote: »
    I haven't finished the game yet but I suspected that was the case from Gears of War 2.

Yep. It's the only real problem I have with the story, and it's apparently all the fault of Gears 2.

I've tweeted @therealcliffyb a couple of times to ask, but had no reply yet. I think perhaps Epic just want to quietly ignore that aspect of the story...

Someone on another forum I visit posted this about it:

http://www2.britxbox.co.uk/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&f=74&p=1472074
    ...the loose ends in the story of Gears 3 all stem from Gears 2 being a **** up.

What was the whole section in Gears 2 with the sires all about? seriously? it was leading up to the Humans creating the Locust, then the artists decided they'd make this really intricate level design in the hollow with 500+ year old architecture, so the humans couldnt have created the locust then they ask Karen Traviss to sort the story out for them, she's admitted herself they decided to leave the what/why/how of Myyrah and Adam Fenix as a loose end, they just dont know themselves at the moment.

Jonesey wrote: »
    I made sure I'd read all the books before the release of Gears 3 but you're quite correct about the Gearspedia website - the synopses are excellent. I never read the comics (where Jase makes his appearance) but they're also covered on the website. The biographies are also quite exhaustive.

What surprises me is how young Bernie's voice sounds when she's actually Hoffman's age! Also it would've been nice (and a change for a Gears game) to be fighting along side Mac the dog!

Yeah, the Gears wiki is excellent.

What are the books like? Are they worth reading?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think anyone with an interest in the games' narrative would find them a good read. Plenty of history (Pendulum Wars onwards) and character development.

For example I suspect many people don't realise that Dom's brother Carlos and Anya's mother Helena died at the Battle of Aspho Fields during the Pendulum Wars, and that Marcus, Hoffman, Bernie and Tai were there..

...the first time I heard Aspho Fields mentioned was from a helicopter pilot in a cut-scene at the beginning of GoW1!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am using massive amounts of self control to try and make the campaign last.

I tried Beast mode yesterday, I don't know why but I'm not really a fan. Think I'll stick to being annihilated in TDM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive only played a bit of the single player campaign. still to do MP online
  • Options
    TheParanoidGoatTheParanoidGoat Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone beat horde yet? If I'm playing, and my team fails a Wave 30 +, everyone seems to leave.

It's majorly fecking me off now. Today was on Wave 44, only 6 to go. We failed the Wave, the first failure of the session, and everyone left.

2 hours play time, and so close to the end ... and everyone leaves!?! Why? I don't get it :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finally sat down last night and finished the campaign. Bloody hell I am impressed!
    Now for some MP, Horde and Beast. All of which I fail at!
  • Options
    RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Has anyone beat horde yet? If I'm playing, and my team fails a Wave 30 +, everyone seems to leave.

It's majorly fecking me off now. Today was on Wave 44, only 6 to go. We failed the Wave, the first failure of the session, and everyone left.

2 hours play time, and so close to the end ... and everyone leaves!?! Why? I don't get it :(
    Been happening a lot to me as well, I think people are trying to boost their exp (you get extra exp for consecutive waves) so leave as soon as a wave is failed.

I think I'm a decent Horde player but haven't as yet completed 50 waves because of the above:mad:...
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just noticed this thread! My OH is a big GOW fan and I let him play it through first on his own, before I picked up the other controller & we went through the story mode again. I've played all 3 of them through & this was by far my favourite.

At the moment he's trying to convince me to go on line with him & play against real people, but I prefer just playing private matches - the two of us tried horde, one word for that INTENSE!

I'm normally a gamer who'd stay away from things like this as I always think the games are too complicated, but this is so easy for an idiot like me to pick up & play and the story is amazing - I might have to get the books too as I still have no idea who Sam is!
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RAZORBACK wrote: »
    Been happening a lot to me as well, I think people are trying to boost their exp (you get extra exp for consecutive waves) so leave as soon as a wave is failed.

I think I'm a decent Horde player but haven't as yet completed 50 waves because of the above:mad:...

Think this is the reason too. Pissing me off. Got to 49 and 3 people left. But completed it twice now with a team of reliable and good players.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok, i know this is over a year old, but i ended up getting another 360 today and picked up Gears 3 for £6.99 :)

Having loved the first two, i'm looking forward to the 3rd - haven't played it at all.

Tried a bit of the 1st level in 3D, as I have a 3D telly, but it made my head hurt :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aww i've missed this franchise. loving it so far - only still in act 1, but it's great :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow, anvil's gate last resort was a lot of fun. huge firefight that i found myself getting rather "in" to :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, nobody told me what happened at the end of Act 3 where Dom dies. When "Mad World" kicked in, I nearly lost it .. possibly one of only two times ever I've felt a bit choked up at a bloody computer game :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah - it's a kick in the spuds, isn't it? I've played the games, read all the books and even played the board game - Dom's sacrifice is a real choker. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dom's sacrifice is a real choker. :(

I know :(

I actually found myself shouting "Dom No!" at the telly as well. I think if they'd have had the actual Gary Jules vocal version of "Mad World" I probably would have lost it. I'm such a girl :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Xbox I had died on me - red ringed. i took it back to the cash convertors I got it from and the only one they had to replace it was a 250gb slim version that was, apparently, banned from XBox live.

Got offered it with a good chunk of money back so I took it. Lost my save gave from the other one though so i've started Gears again on Hardcore level.

Just means I have to watch Dom die again when I get there .. noooooo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've just completed the game on Hardcore level. Very happy with the final boss level though - compared to Pt 2, it was a lot more satisfying when i did it - using the hammer of dawn each time was quite spectacular!

Bit sad now it's all over :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's always Gears of War:Judgment in March. ;)
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Well I've just completed the game on Hardcore level. Very happy with the final boss level though - compared to Pt 2, it was a lot more satisfying when i did it - using the hammer of dawn each time was quite spectacular!

Bit sad now it's all over :)

I got right up to the final boss on hardcore but didn't manage to beat her. I would of tried a few times had it not been one of those situations where you get 20 minutes into it and die only to repeat the whole thing again. :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always Gears of War:Judgment in March. ;)

I saw the trailer for that - looks quite decent. I might give it a look, but then Gears has to have Marcus in it for me to play it .. heh :)
    I got right up to the final boss on hardcore but didn't manage to beat her. I would of tried a few times had it not been one of those situations where you get 20 minutes into it and die only to repeat the whole thing again. :sleep:

Didn't it save the game halfway through the fight though ?

The first time I died, i turned the console off and resumed the game later on at the same point.