RIP Raphael Ravenscroft

Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
Forum Member
You may not have heard the name but you've certainly heard his playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-29700432

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSIw09oqsYo

Comments

• divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad. Always liked him when he presented 'Blockbusters' on ITV...
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member
    He invented 'Connect 4'. And he was John Peel's brother.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I know someone who is a real know-all and is always coming out with "facts" which are usually distorted or totally made up as he goes along rubbish. One day we were out in the car when Baker Street came on the radio.
    Dave immediately went into his pompous professor mode and said "Now, there's a surprising fact about that song none of you will know."
    I thought "here we go".
    Dave continued "The saxophone was played by none other than...(long dramatic pause)...Bob Hoskins!"
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know someone who is a real know-all and is always coming out with "facts" which are usually distorted or totally made up as he goes along rubbish. One day we were out in the car when Baker Street came on the radio.
    Dave immediately went into his pompous professor mode and said "Now, there's a surprising fact about that song none of you will know."
    I thought "here we go".
    Dave continued "The saxophone was played by none other than...(long dramatic pause)...Bob Hoskins!"

Ha ha ha! That is quality. Couldn't even get the urban myth correct! :D
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The report that Ravenscroft got what what would appear to be a "pittance" for his performance, is not surprising. Session musicians were often paid just the basic union rate.

When LeRoy Vinnegar complained in a press interview about only getting a session fee for his contribution to "My Fair Lady," at the time the best selling jazz album featuring Shelley Manne, (drums), André Previn (piano) and Vinnegar (bass), when asked about it, Manne countered by saying, it was the rate for the job.
    Manne then added that he only got $25, (standard union rate) for playing the drums on Peggy Lee's hit selling record, "Fever." But didn't later complain about it.

I dunno what Barney Kessel and Jimmy Raney, (famous jazz guitarists) got for playing on the Beach Boys, "Wouldn't it Be Nice?" or the equally well-known David Sanborn for playing sax on Linda Ronstadt's cover of Smokey Robinson's, "Oo,baby, baby!" but I bet it wasn't much.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raphael liked being liberal with the truth. He often said that he wrote the riff, yet the release of Gerry's demo of Baker Street a few years ago showed that the part was already written. The bouncing cheque incident is also bollocks.
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Raphael Ravenscroft