why is eastenders only on 4 days a week when other soaps are on 5

sultanina9sultanina9 Posts: 486
Forum Member
its the best soap so why isnt it on 5 days a week when every other soap is

Comments

• Options
    calvin_jonescalvin_jones Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Because in a way it already is. As the other soaps have adverts each of their episodes will only be something like 22 minutes in length compared to EEs 27/28 minutes. So when you add it all up EE is already producing the same amount of output as them.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it should go five days a week, quality is stretched already and I would imagine Money and resources are a issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calvin Jones, yeah that makes sense
  • Options
    DCM10DCM10 Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it went to five days a week many years ago - could well be mistaken though.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was 2 then 3 and now 4. Its never been 5 (unless its a special week).

2 was great
    3 was more than enough
    4 is at breaking point in terms of quality
    5 would be nail in the quality coffin.

I wish they would cut an episode and go back to 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why would they cut an episode surely it was just being better written when t was 2 episodes
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was 5 days a week for a few weeks at the beginning of the year - that was great because a lot of things were happening. However, I think it worked because there was a lot of stuff going on and wouldn't work in general.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    DCM10 wrote: »
    I thought it went to five days a week many years ago - could well be mistaken though.

It was 5 days a week for quite a while in 2013-14. When Ronnie returned it was every weekday for a couple of weeks, then they did it again in October, then again in December & January.

I'd like them to start producing Wednesday episodes because Wednesdays are so boring for me.
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad its not on 5 nights tbh
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 4 is perfect, and as mentioned above the episodes are a lot longer than any of the other soaps. I wish Corrie and Emmerdale would both drop one as it is.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    DCM10 wrote: »

No. It has done a few 5 day a week 'specials' - obviously over Xmas and in January this year as examples but it has never been 5 days a week as standard.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    It was 5 days a week for a few weeks at the beginning of the year - that was great because a lot of things were happening. However, I think it worked because there was a lot of stuff going on and wouldn't work in general.

It nice as a treat to have it 5 days sometimes but that normally when schedules changes mean a episode is having to be moved but I wouldn't like to see it permanently as the quality will be stretched to max.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I go with the majority - 4 is the most it shpuld have. It is in actual duration the same production length each week as Corrie and Hollyoaks (and Neighbours and H+A if we're including them) due to the advert breaks. The only one that produces more is Emmerdale and I think they have too many - most of it is filler, often with only Thursday's double bill including anything of note. I do enjoy Emmerdale but think less would be preferable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Much as I enjoy some soaps (they are great for getting your brain to switch off for the night), there are far, far too many episodes of each.

In the 1960s, the IBA (now sadly replaced by Ofcom) forced ITV to reduce the number of episodes per week of Crossroads from 5 to 4 because the quality was so crap. If only the IBA still existed!
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC can't be seen to be filling their schedule with soap like ITV. I know they have Holby as well but that's not a soap in the traditional sense and only airs for one episode a week.

Five and six episodes a week is overkill. Four is the absolute maximum any soap should be airing.

As someone said above EE's airtime is similar to the ITV soaps anyway, although with one less appointment to be in front of the TV it's not as big a commitment.

I can't fathom how some Emmerdale fans manage to watch the original airing of every episode. :o
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavyBoy60 wrote: »
    Much as I enjoy some soaps (they are great for getting your brain to switch off for the night), there are far, far too many episodes of each.

In the 1960s, the IBA (now sadly replaced by Ofcom) forced ITV to reduce the number of episodes per week of Crossroads from 5 to 4 because the quality was so crap. If only the IBA still existed!

I agree I normally Record Eastenders, Corrie and Emmerdale, and. Begin watching them about 11ish, then when they finish Im ready for Bed. Although it isnt a soap Coach Trip or Four in a Bed, comes under same bracket
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LHolmes wrote: »
    The BBC can't be seen to be filling their schedule with soap like ITV. I know they have Holby as well but that's not a soap in the traditional sense and only airs for one episode a week.

Five and six episodes a week is overkill. Four is the absolute maximum any soap should be airing.

As someone said above EE's airtime is similar to the ITV soaps anyway, although with one less appointment to be in front of the TV it's not as big a commitment.

I can't fathom how some Emmerdale fans manage to watch the original airing of every episode. :o

Re watching Emmerdale - with difficulty! I tend to catch up on the early morning weekend repeats. I tend to switch the tv in my bedroom on and just half watch / listen as I have a lie in or watch downstairs over breakfast and doing a bit of housework. Same with Corrie a lot of weeks.

I also agree about the BBC being frowned upon if they fill too much of their schedule (and use too much of their drama budget) on soaps, especially just one soap.
  • Options
    Simon_AntinkSimon_Antink Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I remember the good old days when EastEnders and Emmerdale were on twice a week (Tuesday & Thursday) and Corrie and Brookside were on three times (Monday, Wednesday, Friday). The quality was so much better, storylines were well-paced and ideas weren't repeated so much.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    EastEnders four episodes equates to Corrie's five episodes when you discount adverts.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I love soaps - but I agree they are on far too much! Emmerdale is the main culprit at six episodes per week!
    I loved Crossroads when it was on five times a week - but that was just teatime watching, along with todays Aussie soaps.
    But Peak-Time 'Serial Dramas' (posh eh?) should be IMO be twice a week - or if they need to - do two one-hour episodes per week! That's a soap each night - plus one on Sunday (probably Corrie would suit that slot).:confused:
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    It nice as a treat to have it 5 days sometimes but that normally when schedules changes mean a episode is having to be moved but I wouldn't like to see it permanently as the quality will be stretched to max.

Max Branning? :)
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's better. Eastenders feels more evenly spread than the others which have double bills.

It's nice every now and then to get the extra episode (like Corrie would have the Monday double during a dramatic storyline) but doing it regularly spoils it like Corrie's regular doubles on Monday and Friday are too much and Emmerdale's double on a Thursday.
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's not really contributing to the main point, but I wish ITV would drop the double bills, even if they broadcast an episode each day of the week to make up for it. The double bills just make it easier to trot out weak stories in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree about the double bills. They were nice as a treat for when big stories were coming to a climax but it is too much every week. I'd also rather just have Corrie on every day than the double bills or maybe a Sunday episode instead of one of them.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavyBoy60 wrote: »

Agreed, I'd probably still watch Corrie if it was still 3 times a week and EE was 2.