Is this a rare year where we are all happy with the result?

ThadThad Posts: 447
Forum Member
As soon As Mark went out, I had a sort of sigh of relief. Any of the final three were worthy winners.

I'm more than happy that carline won, she was may pick on day one dance one, but really all three of the finalists seemed genuinely nice and talented.

seems to be a pretty harmonious result, or at least no open warfare ;)

Best year for some time in my opinion, a lovely bunch of people.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    I think it's more the case that no-one cared enough about the finalists to get worked up about the result. The least involving final in years, as evinced by the lack of interest on this forum. Dull finalists, weird dance choices and no truly memorable moments.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno, there are still people complaining she was overmarked etc.

But I do agree, although Simon was my favourite, I was happy for any of the final 3 winning.
  • MinttymintMinttymint Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    No. Although she is a good dancer, I don't think she deserved to win and I'm not happy with the result however I do not feel the need to scream and shout about it in every other thread. That may be what the difference is.
  • ThadThad Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I think it's more the case that no-one cared enough about the finalists to get worked up about the result. The least involving final in years, as evinced by the lack of interest on this forum. Dull finalists, weird dance choices and no truly memorable moments.

maybe from your point of view and I will concede that the forum is quiet.

For me it was the best danced final I can remember with three couples really delivering without error or nerves. But each to his own.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three good finalists but I'd have liked to have seen Pixie instead of Mark
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

I kind of agree with this. Mark was a bit annoying and he, Simon and Caroline have been grossly overmarked on many occasions. I really like Caroline, but she could have farted and burped in the final and they would still have thrown tens at her.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Felt a bit flat to me. The standard of dancing wasn't bad but I was missing the anticipation of Jake's Showdance and seeing Pixie and Trent being utterly sublime.

There was also an inevitability about the result (and the scores..."oh another 40? That's nice....next!"). I'd never been so sure of a winner other than the year Louis won. Caroline's fine but a safe choice. Simon would have been just as non-divisive as a winner but him triumphing would at least have been unexpected and because I believed he genuinely had a journey and transformation that I felt a part of, it would have felt a little more satisfying.
  • Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member

I haven't even watched it yet - unheard of in previous years - so you could be right.
    i was sure Mark would be 4th, that sums up the interest I had after the Showman left last week.
  • Arlene_MetcalfArlene_Metcalf Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Yawn! Pixie was voted out get over it! Out of the final 4 Caroline was my favourite but if any of them had won I'd have been happy. Frankie dancing was great from week one but IMO she was a bit bland and Kevin's choreography a bit too frenetic having said that she would have been a worthy winner. As would Mark he didn't have the greatest technique but his love of the dancing and the show shone through. Simon and Kristina obviously have a great relationship and despite being in the bottom 3 times they fought there way to the final and for me he was the best of the male celebrities.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,844
    Forum Member
    I am happy with the result. I had a very slight preference for Simon, mostly since his Foxtrot last week which I thought was wonderful. I haven't seen the final yet so I can't say who I thought most deserving on the night but any of the final three would have been a satisfactory outcome for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Quite happy with the outcome even though I was a Simon backer. If it comes down to the public vote then there's no point in sour grapes if my choice doesn't win. The Lott trolls have kept me amused this series though. They have kept up their "my life has never been the same since pixie got booted" act going quite well. For those who have been affected by this, bear in mind you could make £250 by telling the story of your trauma to Take A Break magazine. Who knows, you may even qualify for Personal Independence Payment from the DWP!
    :):D:);-)
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say that I'm particularly happy that Caroline won. It's more a case that I had expected that she would win so when she did, it was like, "I expected that." I'm not annoyed though because am so happy that Simon was in the top 3. He's my winner.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am happy that the dancer whom I perceived as the best of the last four won it, and that the one I thought was the poorest of them came fourth. I am less happy that the one I was hoping would win it was eliminated in the quarter final, but that is how the cookie crumbled, so no complaints.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    I hope it is a rare year. I don't want to watch another series where the most talented and then the most explosive dancer get the bum's rush from Len for totally specious reasons.
  • janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,399
    Forum Member
    Mark, Caroline and Jake were my favourites during the series but I love Kristina and, Simon grew on me so would have preferred those 4 in the final as first choice. Jake was made for a show dance and so it's a shame he missed out but that aside, right result.
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I never want ringers in the 'competition', let alone winning. :kitty:
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    As I think I commented in another thread, the final being purely on the public vote tends to minimise any sense of grievance. Also it seemed to go very much the way all the reliable indicators were suggesting so the result was 'as expected'.

Last night was a bit strange with the lack of ballroom and odd judges' choices. Also the repeated dances have a tendency to fall a bit flat for me but then I'm not a rewatcher of dances at all. Thinking about it I would a prefer a final format which had just the show dance and the ultimate direct comparison dance (like the waltzathon but with only 3 couples and better staged from a viewer point-of-view).

Bottom line: Flack easily passes the 'Hollins test' of worthiness so I've got no complaints on that score.
  • NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didnt care enough to even watch that mediocre bunch, just looked in to see Take That and the group dance. Previously I have always watched but this year the whole shabby affair has left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • mad_madge_morrimad_madge_morri Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally I was a Jake fan, then a Pixie and finally a Caroline. So long as Mark went out first I was happy for any of the other three to win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Based only on last nights performances, I think that Simon/Kristina should have won. The top three were correct and the GBP had the choice, so no bitching from me!
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,368
    Forum Member
    I'm not unhappy with the result as such but I was unhappy with way the Judges were throwing tens at everyone. It just became meaningless in the end.

If the Judges scores don't count, why bother with them at all. Their comments should be guide enough.

With three perfect scores from the Judges, Caroline will go down in Strictly history as the best contestant ever and I don't think that is true at all.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind the result. I wanted Simon and Kristina to win because his rate of improvement and triumph over adversity has been phenomenal and I thought they were every bit as good as Caroline and Pasha in the final but Caroline and Pasha are worthy winners and they certainly pulled out all the stops last night.
  • sradiasradia Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really happy with the result, although I would have been fine with a Simon or Frankie win too.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit grumpy that Caroline won without really conquering either the ballroom or latin disciplines. Her best dances were all outside 10 dance (Charleston, Salsa, AT and arguably AS). That wrankles a bit, but I heart Pasha so I don't really mind.
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I am not UNhappy but Caroline winning without having to prove herself in ballroom has left a sour taste. Her foxtrot last week was very poor. She wasn't an all-rounder. I think Frankie coped admirably with a lot, she did have a ballroom showdance, and having to do the samba again, as well as Kevin's choreography at times (though I think the showdance was charming and she was gorgeous).

All three would have been worthy but the route to the final has been manipulated too much for me to have felt any genuine involvement. Perversely, although the DOs played a big part in his getting there Simon was the success story of the series, and I would have been delighted had he and Kristina won. I was never bowled over by Caroline but I am pleased for Pasha.