Horrific dolphin slaughter happened this morning

Comments

• Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suzzle wrote: »
    Well, Scott West is there witnessing this barbaric slaughter first hand. He has a good relationship with the local police and is meeting the Mayor of Taiji in November. He is an intelligent, sensible man who understands the situation extremely well so I think he's the best person to judge.

He urges everyone to contact their local Japanese embassy to object. That's what I've done and that's what Chinchin has done. I hope lots of other people do the same. :)

I see, so you're asking similar intelligent sensible people to contact the embassy to express their outrage.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, Scott West is there witnessing this barbaric slaughter first hand. He has a good relationship with the local police and is meeting the Mayor of Taiji in November. He is an intelligent, sensible man who understands the situation extremely well so I think he's the best person to judge.

He urges everyone to contact their local Japanese embassy to object. That's what I've done and that's what Chinchin has done. I hope lots of other people do the same. :)

I think lots of people will if we spread the message suzzle! Remember Stephen Fry's tweet re the vile Jan Moir of the Daily Mail!
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Completely disagree. Public outcry has changed the world. That's why women have the vote and the House of Lords no longer rules this country.

The more voices that urge change - the more likey change is to occur. The only whaling fleets left belong to Japan, Iceland and Norway. That's down to individual people writing letters, sending emails and doing their bit to object. Slowly but surely individuals can and do make a difference.

You misunderstand.

It's one thing to chain yourself to the railings outside Downing St or bob about in a zodiac and get in the way of a whaling ship.
    That IS a worthwhile protest that directly inconveniences those you're protesting against and creates a lot of publicity.

Sending emails is a lazy way to feel like you're "doing your bit" when, in fact, you're achieving nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    I think lots of people will if we spread the message suzzle! Remember Stephen Fry's tweet re the vile Jan Moir of the Daily Mail!

Good point! One thing I do know - If the world doesn't know it's happening, no one will ever do anything about it.

My last thread about the dolphin slaughter in Taiji got literally thousands of views. I like to think that it helps to raise awareness if nothing else. :)
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst the incident is unpalatable, I get turned off by people who use over emotive language deliberately to try and humanise the animals in order to maximise guilt "mothers and babies" "no survivors" "non-human persons" It's all a bit much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »

Thanks for that! Brilliant site. I've signed their petition. I believe Ric O'Barry or someone from their organisation is also meeting with the Mayor of Taiji in November.
  • AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suzzle and Chinchin, were you two friends before this thread started by any chance?

Just asking.:)
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Suzzle and Chinchin, were you two friends before this thread started by any chance?

Nope I had never heard of suzzle , but we obviously share the same disgust for the slaughter of this beautiful and intelligent creature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    Whilst the incident is unpalatable, I get turned off by people who use over emotive language deliberately to try and humanise the animals in order to maximise guilt "mothers and babies" "no survivors" "non-human persons" It's all a bit much.

But we really should be humanising them if we are to understand what they are going through. Dolphin mothers form very strong emotional attachments to their offspring just like we do. A pod of dolphins contains mothers, brothers, sisters, babies, fathers, grandmothers etc and they really do have complex relationships with each other.

The Japanese fisherman will often spear one of the pod when they drive them towards the cove. They know that the other dolphins won't desert the injured one because if one becomes injured they try to protect it and will make sure it gets food etc.
    Ric O'Barry trained dolphins for years and knows that if one dies it's companions "mourn" and become depressed.

How can we empathise with what they are being subjected to if we don't ttry putting ourselves into their shoes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, but we are now! LOL! One of the nice things about forums is meeting people who share your opinions. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely disagree. Public outcry has changed the world. That's why women have the vote and the House of Lords no longer rules this country.

The more voices that urge change - the more likey change is to occur. The only whaling fleets left belong to Japan, Iceland and Norway. That's down to individual people writing letters, sending emails and doing their bit to object. Slowly but surely individuals can and do make a difference.

Sorry but I can't see it happening, people all getting worked up about another country isn't going to change their views.
    Good luck with Japan, they can be pretty stubborn in backing down!! they were so stubborn once it required a Fat man and a Little Boy to give up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Its pointless - The Japanese have been fishing for centuries and they arent going to take notice of anything .Look at the animal record of the UK first .Lets start at home first becasue you cant lecture the rest of the world when the UK still does animal experiments, pet cruelty and permits Halal slaughter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but I can't see it happening, people all getting worked up about another country isn't going to change their views.
    Good luck with Japan, they can be pretty stubborn in backing down!! they were so stubborn once it required a Fat man and a Little Boy to give up.

But you can already see things changing. The fishermen have started to show some shame in their activities. They try to conceal the slaughter. They recently let some dolphins go free. (Though sadly not this time)

Up until recently the Japanese people were completely unaware of the dolphin trade. In the last few months awareness has been building among the Japanese people. The cove observers have started to see ordinary Japanese people travelling to Taiji to see for themselves. The film The Cove has been screened in a few cinemas over there. More importantly the Japanese News agencies have been sending reporters and film crews in to Taiji..

This isn't some widespread Japanese tradition. It is 26 fishermen in Taiji who kill and capture dolphins for the aquarium trade for profit.

The momentum is building and every voice counts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you can already see things changing. The fishermen have started to show some shame in their activities. They try to conceal the slaughter. They recently let some dolphins go free. (Though sadly not this time)

Up until recently the Japanese people were completely unaware of the dolphin trade. In the last few months awareness has been building among the Japanese people. The cove observers have started to see ordinary Japanese people travelling to Taiji to see for themselves. The film The Cove has been screened in a few cinemas over there. More importantly the Japanese News agencies have been sending reporters and film crews in to Taiji..

The momentum is building and every voice counts.
    Emails though are a waste of time, same with the tacky Facebook groups people set up. It has as much impact as those chain mail letters/emails and is pretty much the same thing.
    The only people who can change things are the people of Japan or Norway not the consulate.
  • cartreecartree Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're so intelligent, why can't they sort it out themselves? :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emails though are a waste of time, same with the tacky Facebook groups people set up. It has as much impact as those chain mail letters/emails and is pretty much the same thing.
    The only people who can change things are the people of Japan or Norway not the consulate.

As I said in my edit - This isn't some widespread Japanese tradition. It is 26 fishermen in Taiji who kill and capture dolphins for the aquarium trade for profit.

They are given permits from the Japanese government to do this. Writing to and emailing the Japanese Embassy is the right thing to do. The dolphin slaughter reflects very badly on Japan and the Japanese government are aware of this.

It is the job of embassy officials to pass on information regarding public opinion and matters pertaining to their county's image abroad. It's their job.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    FWIW, there's a good chance a lot of this stuff will be over with in another 50 years or so.

The current young generation in Japan is very westernised and, more importantly, they still look to the West (god knows why) for cultural guidance.
    This generation of jap's is probably THE one that's gonna sort all this stuff out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said in my edit - This isn't some widespread Japanese tradition. It is 26 fishermen in Taiji who kill and capture dolphins for the aquarium trade for profit.

They are given permits from the Japanese government to do this. Writing to and emailing the Japanese Embassy is the right thing to do. The dolphin slaughter reflects very badly on Japan and the Japanese government are aware of this.

It is the job of embassy officials to pass on information regarding public opinion and matters pertaining to their county's image abroad. It's their job.

Well good luck with your campaign.
    I wonder though how many of the protesters will be the usual hypocrites , ie get worked up when cute animals like dolphins, horses and dogs get slaughtered.
    Yet love the old fish and chips, eating burgers, steaks and tucking into KFC!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, how do they profit from the dead dolphins? Is there a market for dolphin products? Would you still object if they were killed "humanely"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cartree wrote: »
    Out of interest, how do they profit from the dead dolphins? Is there a market for dolphin products? Would you still object if they were killed "humanely"?

They sell the meat, although this is more of a sideline as it's not very profitable. Their main profit comes from selling the captured ones to the dolphin trainers to be crated up and sent around the world to dolphin shows and swim-with-dolphin companies.

The meat is a whole other issue. In independent tests it was rated as unfit for human consumption as it has very high levels of methylmercury in it.

Yes, I would still object if they were killed humanely. Have a look at this article that appeared in the SundayTimes. I think that explains my standpoint quite well. :)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article6973994.ece
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sell the meat, although this is more of a sideline as it's not very profitable. Their main profit comes from selling the captured ones to the dolphin trainers to be crated up and sent around the world to dolphin shows and swim-with-dolphin companies.

Yes, I would still object if they were killed humanely. Have a look at this article that appeared in the SundayTimes. I think that explains my standpoint quite well. :)

Why do they slaughter them in such a way then, if it isn't really profitable? Just to piss people off?

So the whole "horrific slaughter" thing is just a bit of emotional manipulation, isn't it? Your objection is purely to the fact that they're being killed. The ins and outs are only relevant if you're trying to drum up support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they slaughter them in such a way then, if it isn't really profitable? Just to piss people off?

So the whole "horrific slaughter" thing is just a bit of emotional manipulation, isn't it? Your objection is purely to the fact that they're being killed. The ins and outs are only relevant if you're trying to drum up support.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. They kill them because they make a profit from selling the meat. I don't know the figures but I have read that without the live dolphin trade, the killing would probably stop because it wouldn't be profitable to send out 12 boats and 26 people on the dolphin drives if the only income was from meat sales alone. That's why it is said that the live dolphin trade fuels the killing. I hope that's clearer.

The way they are killed with spears is the probably the easiest and cheapest way to kill a lot of dolphins who are thrashing about in an enclosed volume of water.

I don't only object to the killing. The live dolphin trade is appalling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if I wasn't very clear. They kill them because they make a profit from selling the meat. I don't know the figures but I have read that without the live dolphin trade, the killing would probably stop because it wouldn't be profitable to send out 12 boats and 26 people on the dolphin drives if the only income was from meat sales alone. That's why it is said that the live dolphin trade fuels the killing. I hope that's clearer.

The way they are killed with spears is the probably the easiest and cheapest way to kill a lot of dolphins who are thrashing about in an enclosed volume of water.

I don't only object to the killing. The live dolphin trade is appalling.

Sure, that makes sense. But do you see the point that detailing the killing in such emotional language is pure manipulation? It's just trying to play people.

I don't want it to look like I support dolphin slaughter by the way, I don't. But personally, you lose me a bit when you go tactical like this. TBH it makes me not even trust what you're saying, in the same way I don't trust PETA propaganda.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the whole "horrific slaughter" thing is just a bit of emotional manipulation, isn't it? .

Also to answer Cartree about my use of emotional language.

Watch this from 1:50. This is the Taiji "fisherman" actually killing the dolphins. When you have watched it all then speak to me about emotional manipulation. What happens there is a fact. I am not trying to play people. No manipulation is required to see that is in in fact quite horrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORy550ZLA54
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also to answer Cartree about my use of emotional language.

Watch this from 1:50. This is the Taiji "fisherman" actually killing the dolphins. When you have watched it all then speak to me about emotional manipulation. What happens there is a fact. I am not trying to play people. No manipulation is required to see that is in in fact quite horrific.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article6973994.ece

There's no video