Options

Victory for real women presenters

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old Sue's days are numbered. I think the beeb had Gabby Logan pencilled in as her replacement, but Gabby is starting to run to seed too.

I'm sure the BBC will have their eyes on some young, blonde, perky athlete to train up for the job.

That would be such a shame :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    People like to see a range of faces on screen, TV bosses don't.

Hard to understand why. But the modern TV executive gets everything wrong so this is just one more thing out of many.

I agree with that, youthfu8l and fesh out of a media course and then they think they know everything. With age comes experience, something sadly lacking with todays TV Execs.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Poor old Sue's days are numbered. I think the beeb had Gabby Logan pencilled in as her replacement, but Gabby is starting to run to seed too.

I'm sure the BBC will have their eyes on some young, blonde, perky athlete to train up for the job.

Not on the Beeb, more likely Kelly Holmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Not on the Beeb, more likely Kelly Holmes.

Missed the Dame, but I don't blame :D
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldbod wrote: »
    Well I hope yopu two vain bods dont ever get old, you are more ageist than the BBC :(:(
    I'm hardly a spring chicken and still think the ruling is ridiculous...

As I said there are numerous "jobs" with limited longevity and no amount of PC b******* will change that. It's also complete fallacy that it only applies to Women in the entertainment industry.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »

As I said there are numerous "jobs" with limited longevity and no amount of PC b******* will change that. It's also complete fallacy that it only applies to Women in the entertainment industry.

I wonder if they will put her "back" on Countryfile, I suspect most viewers of the new series would not recognise her. It could be embarrassing for her if the viewing figures dropped, probably be better to do a series of her own.
  • Options
    hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »

She won on age discrimination - the tribunal found that a man would have been equally discriminated against, hence she lost the sex discrimination case.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harrowing. wrote: »
    Sue Barker is really wrinkly ;)

Strangely enough, A Question of Sport has been pushed a really late slot thus pushing the show out of the main audience viewing. So that is bad for another elder and experienced television personality.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    hicken wrote: »
    Actually we're talking about a very qualified, experienced journalist who originates and writes her own stories. And I want more of those on my TV, not less. I'd also like to see more intelligent, informative, entertaining presenters. I don't care what age they are and I don't care about appearance other than they look presentable and professional. And I seriously doubt that I'm in a minority.

You are in that minority, pretending she is the best qualified presenter is a bit of a laugh. The fact is churn in such an industry is so high because of the very fact that they are very replaceable. There will always be someone else that can do the job as good if not better, these are not phd positions. Anyways it also gets to the opposite prejudice, you can't be intelligent if you are young and good looking? ;) Like it or not you can scream prejudice and discrimination at all points, too pretty to be taken seriously, too young, too old.. it is all a load of tosh. Tears over well paid cushy jobs many candiates are fighting for...waste of energy pretending it is a real issue of agism or feminism.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hicken wrote: »
    She won on age discrimination - the tribunal found that a man would have been equally discriminated against, hence she lost the sex discrimination case.
    Yet the thread is entitled "Victory for real women presenters" not real "old".....
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Strangely enough, A Question of Sport has been pushed a really late slot thus pushing the show out of the main audience viewing. So that is bad for another elder and experienced television personality.

But the second viewing is at 19:30h, why is that considered a "late slot"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

Yep, and let's hope it doesn't go High Def or we'll have to use special soft focus settings for viewing Cliff Richards' ex ;):D
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It only takes a moment to see that the presenter of a programme often IS the programme, they define what the programme is and why it is popular.

Most long-running presenter-led programmes do not survive a change of presenter. The exception is multi-presenter shows where change is done slowly.

Some people think because it looks easy that it is easy.