Tesco Clearing HD Boxes for £30

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,508
    Forum Member
    Is the USB port only there for software upgrades then?

It's there for whatever they want to write the software to make it do - that might only ever be for upgrades, we just don't know (and they probably don't either).
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Is the USB port only there for software upgrades then?

At the moment, yes.

I'm not sure how much more development Tesco will do on a £30/£20/£60 HD box, to be honest, but we live in hope...
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    At the moment, yes.

I'm not sure how much more development Tesco will do on a £30/£20/£60 HD box, to be honest, but we live in hope...

So it could be used to play pictures/video...if they wanted it to ?
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Assuming the circuits allow for it, in theory yes they could implement it in software. That is a very big assumption though.

The box was very obviously designed to provide a delivery platform for ipTV services which I presume is why the software development is being undertaken by Channel Zero.

Where this could fall down is if Channel Zero decide that the ipTV services provided by the Vision network show that they could use other boxes and TVs to deliver their pay services (and of course their contract with Tesco allows them to drop this box.) As I have re-iterated, Tesco own a media service and I am sure they wish to sell, e.g. streamed movies, using this box.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope YouView becomes universally adopted then! :D:D
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my box the other day and other than channel break up on the HD channels when high volumes of traffic goes past, all is fine.

However, I cannot receive "Channel 0". It just says it cannot get a signal. Could it be because we have to use an inside aerial?
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC Channel Zero is on Mux D, though it may have moved and I forgot. Therefore, you must receive Mux D, which includes channels such as Film4 and Yesterday.
  • brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    I got my box the other day and other than channel break up on the HD channels when high volumes of traffic goes past, all is fine.

However, I cannot receive "Channel 0". It just says it cannot get a signal. Could it be because we have to use an inside aerial?

As Muzer says, Channel Zero is on MUX D (Arq 2 after DSO). You also need to leave the box permanently powered up. The red led will turn amber (looks more like green to me) when Channel Zero has loaded (usually overnight).
    Check to see if you can get channels 12 (Yesterday) and 15 (Film4), as they are on MUX D (Arq 2 after DSO).

Chris.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Urgh, well that explains it. We only get 21 channels - it's cause the area we live in gets crap Freeview reception. Perth is renowned for it's bad reception.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You aren't missing much, until iPlayer appears at least.

In the mean time, why not get an external aerial? If you can only receive the Perth transmitter, you still won't get the commercial channels (including Mux D/Arq B which contains Channel Zero), but you may get the public service (including HD) ones more stably, especially if you have an intermittent signal now. However, if you can receive another, further transmitter, it may be possible to get the commercial channels on an external aerial which would be impossible on an indoor one.

Stick your postcode and house number into http://digitaluk.co.uk , tick the "I'm in the aerial installation trade" box, and look at the list of likely digital transmitters. Especially check the big list underneath the summary on top. If there are any transmitters with orange or green boxes, or even sometimes red boxes, on all 6 of the commercial and PSB muxes, it's possible you'll be able to get them with an external aerial. If you want, you can take a screenshot of the view of the window, or you can give us your postcode if you don't mind giving it away (I would recommend against that, however, just in case), and we can have a look for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muzer wrote: »
    You aren't missing much, until iPlayer appears at least.

In the mean time, why not get an external aerial? If you can only receive the Perth transmitter, you still won't get the commercial channels (including Mux D/Arq B which contains Channel Zero), but you may get the public service (including HD) ones more stably, especially if you have an intermittent signal now. However, if you can receive another, further transmitter, it may be possible to get the commercial channels on an external aerial which would be impossible on an indoor one.

Stick your postcode and house number into http://digitaluk.co.uk , tick the "I'm in the aerial installation trade" box, and look at the list of likely digital transmitters. Especially check the big list underneath the summary on top. If there are any transmitters with orange or green boxes, or even sometimes red boxes, on all 6 of the commercial and PSB muxes, it's possible you'll be able to get them with an external aerial. If you want, you can take a screenshot of the view of the window, or you can give us your postcode if you don't mind giving it away (I would recommend against that, however, just in case), and we can have a look for you.
    I get green for "Perth": MUX 1, MUX 2 and MUX HD
    I get amber for "Angus": MUX 1, MUX 2 and MUX HD

Basically, Perth has a crap signal. It always has and, by the looks of things, always will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, Angus does carry the commercial multiplexes at half power. If you can see others living around you with outdoor aerials pointing to Angus (the Digital UK page you were on will give you a compass bearing - just look at where the aerials are pointed and see if it corresponds), ask them what Freeview channels they get.
  • radioredcatradioredcat Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I received my box this morning so it is now tuned to The Wrekin with no problems.

I tried the box for sutton coldfield HD but can't see it on UHF CH 34 which is no surprise.

Andy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now sold out on eBay of the refurbished models at £20

There are a few new ones at £40

I have heard BBC iPlayer should be available within the next couple of months if all goes well.
  • stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my box today and it works great on Blackhill transmitter receiving all channels and channel zero info too.
    Great value at £20.00 :D
  • GooberGoober Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    lbear wrote: »

I have heard BBC iPlayer should be available within the next couple of months if all goes well.

Source?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lbear wrote: »

Months?!

Sam
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alien2k wrote: »
    Months?!

Sam
    Channel Zero probably has more information if you ask them on a query form.
  • ulsterlistenerulsterlistener Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    are these boxes still available please
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member

You already can play games with Channel Zero - one of the channels is games, which allows you to play about a 90 second sample of a game before asking for a code you need to pay 60p for via mobile phone.
  • SouriauSouriau Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Tesco have this online and I am wondering if this box is suitable for Channel Zero and BBC iPlayer and ITV iPlayer?

Technika STBHDIS2010A Freeview HD STB
    Catalogue number: 211-5147

Does this box replace the one below?

Technika STBHDIS2010 Freeview HD Digital Set Top Box
    Catalogue number: 208-0120
  • paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Souriau wrote: »
    Tesco have this online and I am wondering if this box is suitable for Channel Zero and BBC iPlayer and ITV iPlayer?
    As far as I know, not a single set top box or TV yet does ITV Player.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    I must say I'm incredibly impressed with the IS (many thanks to Chris/brumlad36 for the cheap refurbs link). For some reason the signal strength and quality meters are down on what I get on every other receiver, which is odd, but must be down to how it is calculated.

Something which hasn't been mentioned, is that the box has a display on the front. I remember at least one person on here saying they liked one of the old boxes because it was hooked up to audio only for the radio stations, and showed the channel on the display.
  • brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    I must say I'm incredibly impressed with the IS (many thanks to Chris/brumlad36 for the cheap refurbs link). For some reason the signal strength and quality meters are down on what I get on every other receiver, which is odd, but must be down to how it is calculated.

Something which hasn't been mentioned, is that the box has a display on the front. I remember at least one person on here saying they liked one of the old boxes because it was hooked up to audio only for the radio stations, and showed the channel on the display.

Hi Chrisy, you're welcome :)

I too have noticed that the "IS" boxes show a lower signal level than some boxes, although I've found this is no reflection on the sensitivity of the box. In fact the "IS" box pulls in weak (distant) MUXes better than my Sony TV which is fed from the same aerial.

Chris.