Staggeringly ignorant Housemates.

ThadThad Posts: 447
Forum Member
How monumentally ignorant do you have to be to not know who the prime minister is?

I assume these people attended school? Their general knowledge is so woeful it borders on willfull ignorance.

Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I would hate to go through life not knowing anything.

Comments

• MithMarrMithMarr Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocking isn't it. I thought the same.
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one that crazes me because they all get it wrong is the "Johnny's mum..." one.

They all always answer "June".
  • chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    quite shocking
  • Val_BeamVal_Beam Posts: 3,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well surely budding politician steven knows lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anya D wrote: »
    The one that crazes me because they all get it wrong is the "Johnny's mum..." one.

I know. And it's the almost bored, eyes rolling way they answer, "June".:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thad wrote: »
    How monumentally ignorant do you have to be to not know who the prime minister is?

I assume these people attended school? Their general knowledge is so woeful it borders on willfull ignorance.

Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I would hate to go through life not knowing anything.

Was Mark genuine when he said he didn't know there were 3 political parties (Matthew obviously didn't want to overload him with the other parties) and he remembered the Conservatory party? He said it twice, so it wasn't a slip of the tongue.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    It's not just the HMs though, it's the "young generation" in general - they don't know shit, apparently being a pig-ignorant bastard and proud is where it's at these days! :o:o

I knew who the current Prime Minister was from when I was 10, and I'm not hugely invested in 'politics'.

It's a ****ing shame - these idiots are the future of our country :(
  • Val_BeamVal_Beam Posts: 3,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's shocking that people can name the entire towie crew, but have no idea who the PM is...Sad times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,927
    Forum Member
    Anya D wrote: »

Nah, that's one of those ones that will get most people who haven't heard it.
  • adwaltonadwalton Posts: 4,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YesNoMan wrote: »
    Nah, that's one of those ones that will get most people who haven't heard it.

Not anyone with any intelligence who can read the question carefully
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    All the months have 28 days.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,844
    Forum Member
    pipaluk wrote: »
    All the months have 28 days.

Can't argue with that. :D
  • Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member
    Val_Beam wrote: »
    It's shocking that people can name the entire towie crew, but have no idea who the PM is...Sad times.

This. DS can we have a like button please?
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »
    It's not just the HMs though, it's the "young generation" in general - they don't know shit, apparently being a pig-ignorant bastard and proud is where it's at these days! :o:o

I knew who the current Prime Minister was from when I was 10, and I'm not hugely invested in 'politics'.

It's a ****ing shame - these idiots are the future of our country :(

I agree there does seem to be a worrying trend in that direction. If you comment on some of the dreadful spelling, punctuation even syntax of some posts on here people will react in exactly the same way as if you make a racist or a homophobic comment. It is beginning to seem like having bothered to take advantage of a free education system is something you should be ashamed of and being ill educated is something people have no choice about and we shouldn't draw attention to it. Meanwhile the developing world are grasping education with both hands.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adwalton wrote: »
    Not anyone with any intelligence who can read the question carefully

What was that question?
  • ThadThad Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    In the age of the Internet ignorance has become a choice.

Everything is at your fingertips, but it seems many are embarrassed by knowledge? I find it hard to fathom.
  • CheddarcakesCheddarcakes Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think any person who passes that test is discarded from the show
    Forum Member
    Thad wrote: »
    In the age of the Internet ignorance has become a choice.

Everything is at your fingertips, but it seems many are embarrassed by knowledge? I find it hard to fathom.

Not just embarrassed but seemingly offended by other people's. I don't get it either. But I suspect its why so many are only able to express themselves, vaguely, using tired clichés such as thrown under buses, up people's arses, 100%, tell it how it is etc.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    Isn't asking who the prime minister is, what they ask old people to test for senility? This lot are in trouble.
    Actually, BB got one wrong. What does kangaroo mean? They're supposed to say, "I don't know" to get it right but that's an urban myth. Nobody's 100% sure what kangaroo means but the closest they've got is,'large, black/grey edible thing'.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    You don't have to remember things when you can just google it, the are studies saying that its changing the way are mind works.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    I think any person who passes that test is discarded from the show

Pretty much like In It To Win It then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Lack of intelligence isn't limited to the 'younger generation', there are many older people who are staggeringly ignorant too.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back in BB11 didn't John James say he didn't vote and either didn't know or didn't care who the PM of Australia was??
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Back in BB11 didn't John James say he didn't vote and either didn't know or didn't care who the PM of Australia was??

Well to be fair I don't know who the Australian PM is either. :D

I know who it was; Julia Gillard but don't know who succeeded her. Kevin Rudd maybe?
  • ThadThad Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Rafferty wrote: »
    Lack of intelligence isn't limited to the 'younger generation', there are many older people who are staggeringly ignorant too.

I don't know if they are intelligent or not, not without seeing an IQ test, but they are without doubt ignorant. You can be highly intelligent but have not had access to knowledge and so are ignorant. I'm not sure what the housemates excuse is though.

I remember when people were embarrassed about their lack of knowledge. I often find myself saying please forgive me for my ignorance. But how has it got to a place where ignorance is celebrated?