Banks - will they be open Tuesday?

GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Brother needs to pay in some money urgently.

Comments

• queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think so, it's still bank holiday. Can he pay it in at a cashpoint? I do.

Which bank?
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NO! Its a Bank Holiday.;)
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I will have to do electronic transfer from my own bank then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    Think I will have to do electronic transfer from my own bank then.

Like I said you can pay it at his bank's cashpoint, outside the building.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An electronic transfer isn't going to happen until the next banking day either i.e. Wednesday. What's the urgency?
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    An electronic transfer isn't going to happen until the next banking day either i.e. Wednesday. What's the urgency?

Mines instant.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mines instant.

Yeah.....it's taken out instantly, but seems to take its time getting to the account is destined for.
  • Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
    Forum Member
    Yep. You've no chance via bank transfer.
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just to stop him going overdrawn by the agreed amount, and the transfer was instant.
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Like I said you can pay it at his bank's cashpoint, outside the building.

Natwest cashpoints don't take deposits
    Mines instant.

Not for the receiving account it won't be.
    But if the OP needs the cash to cover a direct debit or something like that they need not worry.

Even though DD thats due out on wednesday will show up on the account now , the funds to cover it can still be paid in on wednesday as long as its done as early as possible.

If the recipient actually wants to draw the cash out via cashpoint the funds will not show until wednesday and if the transfer is between different banks then the transfer can take between 2 and 4 banking days to be available anyway
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not for the receiving account it won't be.
    But if the OP needs the cash to cover a direct debit or something like that they need not worry.

Even though DD thats due out on wednesday will show up on the account now , the funds to cover it can still be paid in on wednesday as long as its done as early as possible.

If the recipient actually wants to draw the cash out via cashpoint the funds will not show until wednesday and if the transfer is between different banks then the transfer can take between 2 and 4 banking days to be available anyway

Think it depends where you bank?

The OH transfers money to my account regularly and it's there within a couple of hours, including weekends. HSBC to Barclays.

The banks are still 'processing' electronic payments as my car payment due out on the 29th is showing online ie the money is marked to go out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm with Barclays and Santander and they both do it. I did ask which bank but no answer.
  • ParkerParker Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/may/27/banks.currentaccounts
    Faster Payments will work 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so anyone transferring money can be sure the recipient will get it very quickly - even on Christmas Day.

Some recent transfers I've done have been quick enough to go through in the time it takes to log in to Internet banking, really impressed!
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Don't think so, it's still bank holiday. Can he pay it in at a cashpoint? I do.

Which bank?
    But cash paid in via an ATM doesn't become available until it is physically checked by the staff, which won't be until Wednesday.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you not heard of Faster Payments?
  • i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im sure my local Lloyds tsb is open tomorrow(Tuesday) i was shocked when the wife looked at the opening times on the door to see it open tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love sky wrote: »
    im sure my local Lloyds tsb is open tomorrow(Tuesday) i was shocked when the wife looked at the opening times on the door to see it open tomorrow.

Not on a bank holiday.
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They do, I have done it plenty of times. Has to be one attached to a branch - not one at a supermarket etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Not on a bank holiday.

There is a bit of a clue in the name, isn't there!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    Think it depends where you bank?

The OH transfers money to my account regularly and it's there within a couple of hours, including weekends. HSBC to Barclays.

The banks are still 'processing' electronic payments as my car payment due out on the 29th is showing online ie the money is marked to go out.

It varies from bank to bank.
    Those "processing" payments would have appeared on your onlne account on saturday even though the payment won't fail until wednesday if there are not enough funds
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helix wrote: »
    They do, I have done it plenty of times. Has to be one attached to a branch - not one at a supermarket etc.

The only ones here that do that are inside the branches.
    We have at least 4 on the walls of local branches and none take deposits.

Yet when I belonged to the Halifax I could pay in via their cashpoints more than 10 years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most Halifax ATM's still do that when the facility works!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does anyone know when barclays bank are open ???
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    It'll be open tomorrow.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    Brother needs to pay in some money urgently.

Tuesday (today) is a bank holiday. Banks don't open on bank holidays, hence the term.